Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-08-2001, 05:37 PM   #231
Dryfly
Registered Member

Default Re: What is a cruiser?

I was once told by the late grandson of one of the inventors of Indian that the following designates what is and what isn't a "cruiser". He stated, "that you take a frame, two wheels, two tires, seat, tank, handlebars, engine and other misc. plumbing and accessories". You then bolt them all together and sit on the seat upside down with your left index finger up your nose and your right index finger in your ass. It is also very important that you make sure your eyes are crossed at the same time your tongue is sticking out. There should be an ample amount of peanut butter smeared on your boots to make them more aerodynamic. He also said the the most important ingredient is that the bike withstand a head on crash @ 43 1/2 miles per hour. Then you know you have a cruiser.........WHO REALLY CARES.......IF YOU THINK YOUR BIKE IS A CRUISER AND SOMEONE ELSE DOESN'T......WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!
Dryfly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2001, 08:16 PM   #232
Dual__Exhaust
Founding Member

Default Re: 2001 Power Cruisers Reader Feedback

Your new existence:
College boy on the stock here comes the "H" word again Hayabusa pulls alongside you at Bill France Blvd and Hwy 92 during Bike Week and lets you inhale spent hydrocarbons for as many lights as it takes you to get a clue. Your king is dead and unless the Euro good-for-mankind safety weenies back down from the power restriction, the Speed King, here it comes again gritty... Hayabusa... <tt>will live forever.
Dual__Exhaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 09:38 PM   #233
Dual__Exhaust
Founding Member

Default HonYamaZukiSaki countermeasures

Give or take a little here...

V-Rod: 95 hp/liter

VTX: 49 hp/liter

HD pulled the pin on a whoop ass grenade and the motorcycle world just heard the click. When HonYamaZukiSaki figure it out, the grenade's gonna blow the Harley right off the Davidson.

In point, the enormous Honda should, if just equaling Harley's power production figure, produce near 200 horsepower at the wheel.

You have to admit: it's going to be fun seeing what happens once the Japanese counteract Harley's copy of the clones.

Dual__Exhaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 09:29 AM   #234
vmxxx
Founding Member

HD decided to produce the V-Rod because they were sick of hearing guys complain about not being able to keep up with thier buddies on Vmaxxes. I know of a few friends of mine that have gone to the local HD dealer and asked how to do it and they've been told up until now to forget about it cause it just aint gonna happen. Sadly, Yamaha didn't copy anyone when they designed the V-MAX, it is a one of a kind. Hey, HD, way to go, you made it to 1985...how's it feel to be only 16 years behind?

If I put $10,000 more into my MAX to bring the cost up to that of the V-ROD's, I would have a 175+hp supercharged, chain driven,NOS powered chromed out, 7 1/2 sec. monster of a showbike. Lowered and raked sitting on beautilul machined rims and race inspired tires. With the best suspention and exausts there are, all this and a paint job that looks 3" deep. This is my Christmas list so I know how much this costs. None is necessary.....power is king...long live the VMAX!!!!!!!!!
vmxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 07:38 AM   #235
Lateshow321
Founding Member

Default What happened to the Victory V92SC (SportCruiser)???

I'm looking at the current Victory 2002 model brochure and there is NO V92SC for 2002. I was a GSM at a dealership that carried Victory and had an SC demo bike.

We put a D&D header and power chip in it and it was fun to ride. It was loud as hell and pretty quick from 0 - 60. It had truely awsome brakes for a cruiser, the best I've ever seen ( think the warrior will be better). The handling was tight and crisp, for a cruiser, but would touch down way to soon, just like a cruiser...

but none of the current PowerCruisers were out then to compare.

I think it would have done OK in a comparo...but the thing just didn't sell...maybe they were two years too early???

We found that the buyers of a Victory were people that really wanted to buy a Big American Cruiser, but who for one reason or another didn't want, or couldn't afford a Harley Davidson. NONE of them came in, saw the SC and said Yes I want that one. They all wanted the Classic look with the full fenders (for posing).

I think Yamaha will have the most success of all the new bikes in this category...one way or another it will be fun to watch.
Lateshow321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 07:59 AM   #236
Lateshow321
Founding Member

Default Hey Maxi....You V-Max guys are all the same

Hey Maxi... hold on tight to that relic of a bike you're riding...I wouldn't want you to get BLOWN OFF when I pass you on my new Suzuki BOOST KING..Sure its a stupid name but what a Bike. Notice how Suzuki was smart enough to put a chain on a bike with that much power??? That Yami shakes like a California Earthquake when you come off the gas in a corner.

No that you are sufficiently in your place, listen up!! The V-Max is still not a "Cruiser"!!! Its one Bike, in a One Bike Category. Its the clear cut winner of that category because no one else builds a bike like it (since the ole V-65 Magna has gone away, which is where the V-Max is headed). So celebrate that fact but stop calling it a cruiser. You are as deranged as the sillies who included the aging relic in their most recent comparo.

Next year when the Boost King comes out (with a new name thank you) the lil Ymai V-Max will be in last place in the category where it now reigns supreme. So enjoy it while you can Monkeyboy!!

But remember!!!

Its NOT A CRUISER!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-10-2001, 08:11 AM   #237
Lateshow321
Founding Member

Default oops!! Yamaha V-Max was a response to the V-65 Magna

oops!! Yamaha V-Max was a response to the V-65 Magna

Sorry vmxxx but you are incorrect. You could have said that Yamaha didn't copy anyone when they designed the V-Max "IF" it had been released before the V-65 Magna.

I was there in the eighties and remeber that the Magna was the baddest Mutha available when it was released...WITH a MIGHTY V-4 engine. Then Yamaha brought out the V-Max. It was better looking (at the time, 15+ years ago!!!!), it was in deed faster and quicker....But one thing is was not, was an original concept.

Yah OK they were the first ones to put big fake air scoops on a bike...

BUT NOT the first to put a monster V-4 motor in an standard chasis made for one thing...Going real fast in a straight line.

Sorry for the history lesson but those of us that were there, know better.

Everyone chime in with your responses
Old 11-10-2001, 03:23 PM   #238
Beethoven
Founding Member

With all due respect - The Kawasaki has "Character" that the VTX simply does not have. A Cruiser is about "Character". As far as power goes it is pretty easy to get 80 rear wheel hp from a Mean Streak. The VTX gets 84. You do the math. I think the boys at Motor Cycle Online have got it dead right. Bikes are about riding, and the Streak is the most fun. I tried very hard to like the VTX because I loved the way it looked. I went on three long test rides but came back feeling that its only attribute was torque. I bought a Streak - it is a bike that I love more every time I take it out. The overall experience is what this is about IMHO. The reviewers obviously took that into account. That's not reason to diss' them. If cruisin' is about cruisin' why are you so impressed with acceleration? This whole argument is starting to sound like the ones that sportbike buyers have when discussing a few more hp or miles an hour when deciding which bike is best. Cut the boys some slack eh?
Beethoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 03:29 PM   #239
Beethoven
Founding Member

Default Re: Beethoven don´t take part in analytical competitions

I was referring to the Valkyrie as not being a Cruiser in the traditional sense. If you don't see the v-twin as part of the cruiser package that's your opinion - but keep your smart comments to yourself.
Beethoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 06:39 PM   #240
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

Default Is the ZRX a cruiser too?

Have you seen the torque curve of a ZRX1200? It makes like 70 ft/lbs at 2K - by your definition it's now a cruiser...
Rob-SV650 is offline   Reply With Quote