Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-06-2001, 10:44 AM   #211
mandrake_the_mollusk
Founding Member

Default Re: Beethoven don´t take part in analytical competitions

By that definition a Suzuki Savage qualifies as a "cruiser" not because every inch of it LOOKS like a cruiser but instead by virtue of sounding similar to a Buell Blast that is made by Harley-Davidson.

Incidentally, the Mean Streak does NOT sound like any (traditional 45-degree aircooled) Harley. It has a distinctive sound that ain't bad but nobody who's familiar with the Harley sound would EVER mistake it for one. Yamaha makes some big cruisers that are much closer to the H-D sound when equipped with the right aftermarket pipes but still don't quite hit the mark.
mandrake_the_mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2001, 11:05 AM   #212
mandrake_the_mollusk
Founding Member

Default What about smaller-bore cruisers???

They are definitely designed for riding at a leisurely pace (they CAN'T do anything else because they don't have "whopping torque" on the low end, high end, or anywhere in between!) Also, they are most often bought as first bikes by people who don't WANT to ride at anything but "cruiser" speeds, at least not until they get some experience. IMO entry-level cruisers are definitely a type of "cruiser" so I think your definition of one is likewise way too narrow. It is not a requirement that a cruiser have humongous low-end torque, it just makes them more fun and worth paying the difference (up to a point) to get one of the liter-plus size cruisers that usually have plenty to offer.
mandrake_the_mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 11:44 AM   #213
vmxxx
Founding Member

Default Re: 2001 Power Cruisers Reader Feedback

Power is a good thing, the V-MAX makes the most, is 15+ years old in design and still kicks the crap out of almost anything out there. Is it that the age old V-MAX is out dated or was it unleashed on the world way before it's time? HD took years and millions just to come close to the MAX. I will stand by Mr Max untill the next real muscle bike comes out, a one of a kind, just like the V-MAX.

vmxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 03:17 PM   #214
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Good points...

the EL was released mid year 36, so I incorrectly tend to round off to 37, year of the speed twin, since I think of them as basically arriving at the same time. Crockers are awesome, but I don't think Confederate deserves the comparison. As much as I like the confederate bikes, they didn't design their own motor. The Crocker was completely proprietary. Harley even bought one and took the motor completely apart looking for patent infringement and couldn't find anything. Crocker failed because HD put pressure on parts suppliers to cut them off so they couldn't even buy wheels to put on their bikes. It got to the point they were selling near-complete bikes that the customer would have to go buy wheels for to finish assembling it. I don't know if Crocker would've survived otherwise, but they didn't have a chance because HD wouldn't let them. I sure wish we'd ended up with Crocker instead of HD.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 03:20 PM   #215
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default That's really reaching.

Old 11-06-2001, 06:55 PM   #216
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default The W650

was designed around someone else's idea of a motorcycle, but not just the look. And it's a good idea of a motorcycle. The copycat aspect doesn't include any fakery because it's limited to the cosmetics. The whole ride and most of it's real attributes have been included. It looks aircooled because it is, it looks like a parallel twin because it is. It may not make much more power than the original, but it has got to be way more reliable. I love the old bonnies, and I think they work great when they work, but they break a lot. I wouldn't sweat riding one regularly, but I sure wouldn't take one cross country unless getting the machine to make it was the point of the adventure. So the W650 offers a great tried and true standard design, very pleasant to ride and practical. And it has a real and working kickstart. Anyone can parrot any crap they want about cars (which suck anyway) not having crank starts, but these are motorcycles. Really, they should ALL have kickstarts. Especially serious sportbikes. Why have the weight of a starter when all you have to do is kick a little lever to start it? Anyone serious about focused sport bike definitely wouldn't want electric start. A nice trick little dirt bike style kicker would harldly weigh a thing. Ok end of that tangent. Point is, I like the W650. The cam tower is cool. It fits with the style and them they're going for, even though it doesn't come from it. It's interesting, functional, it's not supposed to look like anything it's not, and the motor works. Remember, there are all kinds of functions, and this bike is a tried and true type of practical roadster that is about a lot more than it's looks. By the way, to whoever mentioned it, I'm sorry to be so contrary but I really really hate the drifter. It is rancidly ugly.
Old 11-06-2001, 07:28 PM   #217
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default I'm not positive...

but I think the most recent Laverda 750 twin might have done that. I know they basically used the same design and "added" liquid cooling. It also had a few fins on it, but not on the head.
Old 11-07-2001, 02:54 AM   #218
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: Reader Feedback

Still, it would help if there was a "Reader Feedback" link at the bottom of the page, as there is with most other articles...
BigGit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 03:00 AM   #219
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: The W650

Re: your "tangent". I'm all for kickstarters too (the presence of a kickstarter on my TwinStar is one advantage it has over a Nighthawk or Rebel IMO), but running a kickstarter with a big, high compression four, or worse, a big, high compression V-twin, might not be so good in this age of unchecked product liability litigation. Thousands of squids with broken legs would sue.

This was a better idea when high compression meant 9:1 instead of 12:1...
Old 11-07-2001, 03:02 AM   #220
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: Kevin Cameron...

There's a process called "annealing" in which the work is cooled in still air for several hours. The result is very strong but very ductile.