Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-06-2001, 01:46 AM   #201
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Is Yamaha on drugs???

If not, then WHY DON'T THEY DO ALL THAT STUFF AT THE FACTORY??? A revision of the line and the inventory could do all that for a few dollars more, translating into a few hundred dollars more on the MSRP! It'd be a worthwhile update for those (like me) who think the V-Max is AWESOME and who (unlike me) have the money to put where their mouth is!
BigGit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2001, 02:00 AM   #202
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: Porsche 959 engine cooling

Sorry to digress to cars, but the Porsche 959 supercar had liquid-cooled cylinder heads and air-cooled blocks. Has any bike manufacturer considered this idea?
BigGit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 02:44 AM   #203
cruiz-euro
Founding Member

Default Re: 2001 Power Cruisers Reader Feedback

No aminalmutha, you can´t cruise over 4000 RPM without looking a complete dork. No matter how nicely you think the machine hums, the relaxed people sipping the cuba libre on the side walk café think you really suck. And they are right.

What comes to how you have to dress, it does matter. You can cruise in swimming pants or in a suit. This bad-boy image BS is for losers, but, hey, whatever floats your boat.

cruiz-euro

cruiz-euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 03:04 AM   #204
DJS
Founding Member

Default Re: Is Yamaha on drugs???

Don't bother wondering... It is so obvious that Yamaha is in price gouge mode.. Look at the MSRP. They recovered their R&D money years ago but they keep charging premium MSRP.

And how can anyone be such an expert on V-rod handling when it has not been released to the public?

DJS
DJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 04:17 AM   #205
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default About those cooling fins...

Everybody needs to step back for a second with the cooling-fin thing. Even though my bike is liquid-cooled, when I ride, the engine (cooling fins and all) is too hot to touch. That means that it IS radiating out heat, and the cooling fins are thus contributing to the cooling of the engine. If a bike can have an oil cooler and still have cooling fins, why can't it have a radiator and still have cooling fins?

Another point: when I'm travelling at above stop-and-go speeds, even on a hot day, the fan for my radiator doesn't kick in very often. Why? Because the air cooling provided by those "fake" fins is enough. That minimizes the power drain on my battery, which is fine by me.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 04:20 AM   #206
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Kevin Cameron...

Its not nearly as simple as Kevin Cameron says. Air-cooling may provide more surface area for cooling, but water's ability to absorb heat in surface area is MUCH greater. Just think of a blacksmith--when he wants to cool a piece of metal quickly, does he stick it out in the wind, or does he stick it under water?
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 06:09 AM   #207
maximmax
Founding Member

Default Re: 2001 Power Cruisers Reader Feedback

The VMax is the only power cruiser in the world, pants down! A couple of things The Max is more than willing to cruise along all day at 4,000 rpm. The beat of the engine becomes sedating as a matter of fact. Handling, the bike actually feels small while your riding it, true you cant take corners at 90 but that is where all the squids bite it anyway. Looks, it looks like no other bike, which makes it entirely original and fresh even if the design is 20 years old, besides good looks are timeless, does a picture of a centerfold from 30 years ago look ugly? Respect, you get it from all sides on a VMax, everyone waves. Sportbike riders sweat the power, and Harley guys sweat the looks. Sound, A VMax with an aftermarket pipe sounds like a pissed off symphony, open it up and it sounds like a top fueler. And don`t forget the old adage if it aint broke don`t fix it, and last but definitely first There is V-BOOST, at 6,500 rpm everything will start kissing my ass! P.S. It made the art of the motorcycle exhibit!
maximmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 07:38 AM   #208
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: What is a cruiser?

A: It's AIRPLANE. We invented 'em, we name 'em. You can spell it wrong all you want on the stay-at-home side of the pond.

B. Cruisers - we invented 'em. We say what is and isn't a cruiser. You can call that Bavarian Money Waster R1200C THING a cruiser all you want, it isn't.

That is all in fun, take nothing I said seriously.

Honestly, though - I'd have to say that personally I feel that seating position more than anything else, defines what a bike is called... If your feet are forward of your knees, and your hands are resting on the handlebars with NO weight on 'em, it's a cruiser. Cruisers also have long wheelbases and very non-steep steering angles, usually have a lack of ground clearance... all because they're meant to cruise, in other words, they're comfortable and stable, and not meant to corner hard. Low end torque is a feature that allows lazy riders to not shift as often... it's fun, but not a defining factor.

Sport(and sporty) bikes - generally feet below the knees or behind the knees, bars are low enough that at least some weight is on your hands. Steeper steering head angle to quicken steering. Short frame and swingarm for the same reason...

Standard - in between cruisers and sportbikes.

Sport-touring - VERY broad category, I'm not going to get into that. To some people a Concours is a touring bike... to me it's a sport-tourer, albeit an old design.

Touring - Another broad category, ranging from bagger cruisers to full dressers.

That's my take on the subject, anyhow.
Old 11-06-2001, 08:36 AM   #209
tbuse
Founding Member

Default Re: Kevin Cameron...

As an amatuer interested in blacksmithing, that falls under "it depends". Quenching is used when tempering metal. At other times you want a slower cooling.
tbuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 08:50 AM   #210
ironmike
Founding Member

Default Overall, your point is valid...

But, allow me to fine tune some details... The knucklehead was available in '36 as a 61" (1000cc) EL model. And, there would be some rare (US based) OHV competition from "Crocker" up through the early days of the war. Based in Los Angeles, Crocker built lighter, more powerful V-twin OHV bikes that were the Confederates of their day; very fast, and very rare. They could spank HDs and Indians with ease whenever encountered. Crocker used the finest materials available at the time, actually losing money on every bike he sold. He worked with a few great design/engineering oriented motorcycling enthusiasts; but, he was not that great a businessman. The onset of WWII severely curtailed his sources of aluminum and high grade alloys, thus dooming his manufacturing enterprise. Most existing Crocker motorcycles are in museums or private collections. No one knows for certain how many were produced; records are spotty, and speculation has run from 100 to 1,000. Most think under 200 (closer to 110) is most likely.
ironmike is offline   Reply With Quote