Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-04-2001, 08:26 PM   #161
john
Founding Member

Default Re: As you read on..........V-ROD is worth it!

hank i see where your priorities in motorcycle ownership are "You don't buy a 2002 Mercedes Benz SL600(msrp $140,000+) because it's a convertable, you buy it so other people who drive a mazda miata or anyone who wants a convertable will wish they have a car like yours or wish they have the money to buy a car like yours. "

you seem to carry this logic with motorcycles

"The truth is, if there were a V-rod in a parking lot, we all would get close to it, and get a very close look, and wanting to ride it! That's part of ownership you won't get from a magna or yamaha! "

So, i guess the fact that when i see a Hawk GT or old CB750 in the parking lot, and i look at a bike that is worth maybe 3 grand enviously, and secretly wish i could ride, but i don't when i see a 16 or 20 + grand Harley probably doesn't make sense to you.

Sorry buddy, not everybody is interested in paying 20 grand and get a bike and put it in the parking lot and feel good that people are looking at it.

In fact, I got a Bandit just for the fact that it is a sleeper, not a racy graphic'd sportbike, even though it performs on par with the best sportbikes of 4 years ago, and not too bad with todays when a few mods are made.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-04-2001, 08:29 PM   #162
john
Founding Member

Default Re: Personal priorities are very different

Starving.....don't drag Confederate into this one.....

You pay extra on a Confederate for the top of the line Brembo brakes, the White Power fully adjustable suspension, the Marchesini wheels, and the big motor. This is all done for Performance, not prestige or rarity, rarity is just a result of the price.

I think the prestige rarity in the cruiser world belongs to Titan/BigDog, etc. where the price is not reflected in the additional performance of the motorcycle as compared to its HD counterpart.

Old 11-04-2001, 08:36 PM   #163
TheFox
Founding Member

Default OK

I'll give you $5000 American more for the V-Rod than the Magna. I suppose that's fair.

Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 08:40 PM   #164
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Re: 2001 Power Cruisers Reader Feedback

When you put it that way, it makes me want to go out and buy a Sportster for a 2nd bike.

It's odd, but one of the reasons I didn't buy a Sportster was that I can't see riding it without a helmet on.

Foxy

Old 11-04-2001, 08:42 PM   #165
TheFox
Founding Member

I'm third in line with those exact sentiments.

Foxy

Old 11-05-2001, 04:59 AM   #166
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: might I also add that...

I second that. I'd love to see either of those shootouts materialize. MO has not done a single thing--intro or shootout--with the ZR7 (now in its third year of production).
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 05:37 AM   #167
jacktoad
Founding Member

Default are you on drugs???

correction: the VMax does NOT handle like absolute crap if you sink a few hundred bucks into the appropriate parts. remember that this bike came out in 1985( not simply "a decade Ago" as this lame comoparo said ). upgrade to some RaceTech springs and gold valve emulators, Works Performance shocks, frame braces, fork brace and solid motor mounts and you cure most of the VMax handling ills. now, swap over to radial tires and you have a bike that a good rider( like me ) can smoke a few sport bikes on. i am soooo thrilled that HD has now produced a bike that i won't feel like a bully when i whip its ass on the strip or in the twisties. long live the VMAX!!!!
jacktoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 06:12 AM   #168
ValknMag
Founding Member

So...my Valkyrie was made in Marysville, Ohio...but all the paychecks got sent to Japan? Is that how that works? And when Honda has their open house at the plant each year, and I see thousands of Gold Wings with over 200,000 miles, then go to the Easyriders Rodeo in Chillicothe and see thousands of Harleys with 5000 miles, it's because...Japanese miles are shorter than 'murrikan ones? Oh, and good luck on that resale argument. Supply is catching up with demand.
ValknMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 07:01 AM   #169
markszrz
Founding Member

Todd,

Not sure if you know this but Harley sold the design of their motorcycle to the Japanese prior to WWII. The only thing the Japanese have done is improve ( I know subjective) the design over the years. Where as Harley choose to stick with their basic (with few revisions) engine configuration up until the V-Rod's liquid cooled engine was introduced. Now the reason I bring this up is the Japanese have had "huge" R&D costs from the seventies. Now I am drawing from a PBS series that compared the "Big 3" American auto manufactures with their 3 Japanese competitors. In a nutshell, the Japanese reinvest .75 of each dollar profit back in to "reinventing" a better mouse trap where as the American auto industry only invests .25 of each dollar. Don't believe me? Check out the PBS web site and order the series. It was very informative and I think you could learn a lot from it.

Now as far as destroying the American Industry. I disagree. Do you remember the American Automobiles prior to the 70's? Great cars!! The 70's hit and the American Automobiles for the most part went to hell and never really recovered until oh the late 80's. Why? A lot of reasons but the fact the Japanese were building cars with better quality and (American's were buying them) forced the Big 3 to re-think and ultimately produce better cars. I cringe at the thought of allowing 3-4 American auto manufactures the right to produce the only cars sold in America. Do you think for a second without competition, these cars will improve? Not likely. The Big 3 will continue to reinvest in other ventures with the hope of obtaining short term gains.

markszrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 08:54 AM   #170
born2ride_2
Founding Member

Being a happy VTX1800 owner, not only was I disappointed with your shootout winner but also with your choice of bikes to include. First, your comparison is absolutely meaningless without the inclusion of the Yamaha Warrier, along with a big-bore 95c.i. Harley, given that it defines the benchmark for all cruisers.

Second, the V-Max had no business in this comparison. Any real cruiser fan can tell you that! It belongs with the Monsters, Buels, etc.

Third, declaring the Mean Streak the winner is ridiculous as it is not a Power Cruiser. While it may handle and brake well, its limited hp and torque won't satisfy this segment of the market.

Also, Cruiser fans are quite different than sportbike fans. Their priorities are vastly different, which explains why so many people buy Harleys regardless of their handling, braking and performance deficiencies. These buyers like big, bold and flashy bikes. Some, like myself, also need some added performance. Your testers' bias is quite obvious - handling rules.

While the above comments are just my opinion, I do have the following experience to back my thoughts: my past few bikes have included a TL1000s, VFR and Blackbird. I've attended racing school training, had each bike at its top speed, including the VTX at almost 140mph, in stock trim!

Stick with sportbike reviews - maybe not, since you also managed to screw those up, picking the ZX6 and R1 in their respective categories. Maybe you should start reviewing mopeds from now on?
born2ride_2 is offline   Reply With Quote