Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-02-2001, 05:15 PM   #111
ironmike
Founding Member

Default Gentlemen, I take umbrage at the appelation "power cruiser".

... This is a collection of bikes bearing certain similarities which have been generally applied to the "cruiser" genre, but I submit that "power" is misapplied as a criterion therein. This test would have been more accurately called a "new model (?) cruiser comparison". As many of the foregoing posts have proclaimed, the power factors manifest here are quite diverse, and hardly comparable. Indeed, many machines which may have met most criteria were not included, as some passionate posters have pointed out... We understand that you have a logistics limit, and can only accomplish so much with constrained resources. May I suggest that future shoot-outs of similar bike types be inclusive of all those which produce a minimum level of rear wheel power...? If power is to be a major consideration, why not prioritize accordingly..?
ironmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-02-2001, 06:23 PM   #112
v4cruiser
Founding Member

Default Re: Victory?

I rode the new '02 Victory at Biketoberfest. Victory had a nice 20-mile loop for the ride. No sport cruisers, just the standard, with and w/o windshield.

The '02 are stronger and smoother than the '99s that I last rode in Daytona. They look better too as some of the sharp courners have been rounded off. Shifting is better, but still not jap-like.

Polaris has lots of accessories now, including a Stage One kit that gives a boost like the Harley Screaming Eagle.

Victory is worth looking at - anyone know how they hold up in resale? I haven't seen any used for sale locally.
v4cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 06:24 PM   #113
Todd8080
Founding Member

Default Re: 2001 Power Cruisers Reader Feedback

"Maybe you have forgotten, but this is America and we have the right to buy and ride what ever the hell we want."

No one ever said you didn't have the right to buy anything. You also have the right to fly the Japanese flag while burning the American flag. I'm not talking about rights, I'm talking about what IS right.

Little by little, your actions are destroying American industry. Think I'm wrong? Try to find an American TV, phone, computer, stereo, or just about anything made in America. You're probably too young to remember, but we once led the entire world in all types of industry. There were no Japanese cars, motorcycles, TVs, stereos, etc. They didn't exist until the Japanese stole our designs and started selling them back to us. Because they had no R&D costs and very little labor costs, it was almost pure profit. Now that you've made them rich enough to afford to do their own R&D, they're still not above stealing American designs if they deem them as profitable.

No, I can't stop you from turning your back on America and giving your support to Japan. I can only shake my head and wonder how you can have no shame.
Todd8080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 07:01 PM   #114
HANKWANG007
Founding Member

Default Re: As you read on..........V-ROD is worth it!

As you read on, you will see almost every one is talking down on V-Rod for three reasons, "the PRICE, the Price and THE PRICE".

Just because you can't afford it, or don't wan't to spend the cash(which means you can't afford it!), doesn't mean the product is over priced(same as too much dealer mark-up).

You don't buy a 2002 Mercedes Benz SL600(msrp $140,000+) because it's a convertable, you buy it so other people who drive a mazda miata or anyone who wants a convertable will wish they have a car like yours or wish they have the money to buy a car like yours.

Uniqueness is not a bad thing, cost too much is not a bad thing, as long as you see fit to spend the money; and if don't have that kind of cash, maybe someday you will, in the meanwhile don't talk down on the product becasue you don't have the $$$ to buy it.

The truth is, if there were a V-rod in a parking lot, we all would get close to it, and get a very close look, and wanting to ride it! That's part of ownership you won't get from a magna or yamaha!

HANKWANG007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 07:22 PM   #115
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Personal priorities are very different

That's cool if the name on the tank and the "mystique" level matters to you. But to me and many others, it really doesn't mean a thing. That's why (for roughly the same price) I would rather own a Magna 750 and an SV650 and a DR-Z250, instead of a V-Rod. And you can be happy because you've got a motorcycle that makes people turn and look, and I can be happy because I have a stable with three very different, very capable, very fun-to-ride motorcycles.

It all comes down to what you care for, and if you really like the prestige of a rare motorcycle, then HD (or better yet Confederate) or Ducati (or better yet MV Augusta) is the way to go.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 07:26 PM   #116
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Bashing

Sportbike bashing comes largely from the fact that they are race machines, and that implies direct competition. Bashing between different metric cruisers is very rare, because "better" is 100% subjective. On the other hand, every cruiser test involves a Harley vs non-Harley flamefest, and there's one of those brewing below.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 11:36 PM   #117
TheFox
Founding Member

Default That makes no sense.

There is DEFINATELY a $120,000 difference between the SL600 convertible and the Miata...like let's start with real wood, real leather, on board navigation, interior room that you can fit a real person in, and golly-gee-whiz Earl, that V12 might cost a few extra bucks over a Miata's 4banger hmm?

How can you POSSIBLE say that an SL600 is to a Miata as a V-Rod is to a Magna?

There is a $120,000 difference between a Miata and an SL600. $10,000 between the V-rod and the Magna? No way.

-Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 11:51 PM   #118
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Wow...

...those are a lot of big words for a guy whose:

"Mah defenth ith impregnabale...mah offenth is roofleth."

Wink wink hehehe.

-Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2001, 02:33 AM   #119
sprmag87
Founding Member

Default Re: To get it out of the way...

After many years of no having a bike to run ( my last one in the early 60's was a '52 Harley Chopper) three years ago I picked up an 1987 Super Magna. Honda was way ahead of the pack with this bike but didn't know it. Unique 4 cyl, 4 muffler, bike that does the twisties well with a crusier seating and even with 700cc leaves most others in the dust. I'm not sure the VTX or Harley is any great advancement.
sprmag87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2001, 04:26 AM   #120
aminalmutha
Founding Member

Default Re: 2001 Power Cruisers Reader Feedback

Just as I will never understand the whole H-D thing, I guess you'll never understand the sportbike (or even foriegn bike) thing. I still don't think you understand economics, tho. I'm not going to reply to you anymore, since it's like talking to a brick wall, but my dad's 'Japanese' car was made in Indiana. Are all those hard working Americans who built that car or had any involvement in building that car traitors, just as you say I am? I don't think so. The US would NOT be the economic giant that it is now (even tho the economy has taken a dump) if were isolationists. By the way... I don't give a crap about drawing crowds (I don't need other people to feed my ego; just my bike and the road) or resale (I ride hard and a lot), and ever bike I see I wave at (unless I'm shifting or in a hard corner), even packs of Harleys, but if they all ride by with their noses in the air, they get the finger. I think you'd get the finger.
aminalmutha is offline   Reply With Quote