Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-02-2001, 03:42 PM   #101
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: A cruiser is a fake harley.

I use the term "forward controls" to refer to anything where your foot is out as forward as your knee is. On a standard, the foot is located vaguely below the hip joint. On a sportbike, it is even further back. On a cruiser, it is below the knee or even further forward. I guess you're using the term "forward controls" to refer to something so far forward that you have to lock your knees to even touch the footpegs.

Your definition of a "cruiser" is just plain wierd. And very Harley-centric. Maybe it makes sense to you, but it seems pretty arbitrary to me.

One more question--how does the Valkyrie or the R1200C have any more of a "legitimate history and design" than my Shadow 600?
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-02-2001, 03:54 PM   #102
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: 2001 Power Cruisers Reader Feedback

NEWSFLASH: World War II ended a LONG time ago. The economy is now global, and last time I checked, Japan was one of America's closest allies.

"Harley-Davidson continues to make the best motorcycles in the world"

That is a laughable statement. I'll concede that they make a product that some people like, but to unilaterally state that Harleys are better than everything else is just laughable.

Oh--you can call me a traitor if it makes you feel better. I don't really care what bigots think of me.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 03:58 PM   #103
CLEANER1369
Founding Member

Just ask your banker what they'd rather loan on, a Honda or a Harley? The Harley may be overpriced, but chances are you could get more out of it when it's sold than when you bought it. Try that with a japanese bike. While you're at it, see how many people you can find who have "Kawasaki" or "Yamaha" tattooed on their body. As the old saying goes, If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand. Its good to see Harley put out something with balls that didn't have a Screamin' Eagle kit put in it.
CLEANER1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 03:58 PM   #104
itchface
Founding Member

I actually had a T-Bird Sport, for around a year. It had the "off-road" mufflers, the cafe fairing, and the sporty looking solo seat. And I did enjoy it, at least until some butt-orifice offered me more money than it was worth, so I had to let it go. I hate when people do that to me! Now, if we could get the Japanese manufacturers to make something similiar (again; with CHARACTER), I'd likely be overcome with unbridled glee.
itchface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 04:20 PM   #105
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Great idea!

I always wanted a bike my banker would like. Wait--do I have a banker?
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 04:27 PM   #106
98Viffer
Founding Member

"The Harley may be overpriced, but chances are you could get more out of it when it's sold than when you bought it. Try that with a japanese bike."

Do you buy your bike to ride it or sell it?? Resale means *nothing* to me, as I ride the piss out of my bikes. My 2000 VTR1000 has 23k on it already.

"While you're at it, see how many people you can find who have "Kawasaki" or "Yamaha" tattooed on their body."

That's because the average Japanese or German bike owner doesn't buy into the ridiculous marketing efforts of Hardly Ableson. We're just as fanatical about our bikes as you - we just don't wear permanent billboards on our bodies.

"As the old saying goes, If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand."

And I have yet to hear someone explain it! The ironic thing is, you don't even realize how completely moronic you look dressing up and playing biker on the weekends! You're a bunch of conformist fools...

"Its good to see Harley put out something with balls that didn't have a Screamin' Eagle kit put in it."

Agreed. I applaud Harley for bringing the V-Rod to market. It is amusing however, that when the Japanese did this in the early eighties, Harley and its loyalists scoffed at the idea of a muscle cruiser, forcing the Japanese to "de-evolve" their bikes to compete. Now it has come full circle. Pitiful that Harley has that kind of power. Those of us that can actually think for ourselves, will continue to buy the product that suits us better. We don't need a tattoo and bandana to prove we're real bikers.
98Viffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 04:32 PM   #107
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Harley-centric?

Maybe it's jap-centric, and I'm just feeling superior about riding a "real" japbike. My definition isn't wierd, it's based on history. But it's rewritten to fit the market by press people who don't really know or care about the history of motorcycles. The cruiser market is the thing that's harley-centric. It's not like it's trying to hide it. The vulcan tries to hide the fact that it's not a harley while the road star is straight up plagiarism. Forward controls have to be at least in front of the knee, usually well in front of it, not under it. I didn't make that up, that's what it means. Forward controls come from choppers, where a rigid frame often means the seat is low enough that many people need forward controls to fit their feet on the bike. Dorks copied it on bikes that they don't belong on because they think they look cool, like they're sitting on a chopper, and claim it's more comfortable for them to justify the ridiculous things. Now they're on cruisers. Harley FLs have had floorboards under the knee or slightly in front of long before there were cruisers. They were touring bikes. And a touring bike without windshield or bags is still a touring bike. Should we rewrite it now and say they were cruisers all this time? That's total BS.
Old 11-02-2001, 04:41 PM   #108
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Oh yeah, the shadow thing.

Well BMW designed the boxer a long long time ago because they thought that was the best design for a cycle motor. They use it in many functional and performing motorcycles as well as their "cruiser". It may be the cruiser market that's responsible for it's creation (not meaning the other bikes in the market, but the people buying them), but it's a real BMW. And even the weird nuevo-retro styling is not trying to look like a harley at all, just give a look and riding position that the people who buy cruisers might like, in a BMW. The Valkerie is based on a GL. The GL1000 came out in 1976 and it was copying nothing. It was made to be a big performance bike, and it became popular for touring. Honda turned it into this luxury touring thing, but finally did the right thing and made a plain motorcycle version again, even if it is a bit overstyled. It's still the same motor, Honda's very own heavyweight touring motor. It's a real product with it's own identity, and it's own history of putting out and being practical to own. The shadow was designed so they'd have a v-twin harley looking thing they could put fake cooling fins on. The v-angle isn't even the real firing angle, it's got a staggered crank to fire like a parallel twin. It's even a fake v-twin. The bike was designed around a look needed to get a desired market share. It was not created with anyone's vision of what a motorcycle should be, except some focus group probably made up of a bunch of WWF fans. Sorry to rag on your bike, but you asked.
Old 11-02-2001, 04:48 PM   #109
Patrick-of-the-Hills
Founding Member

Default Re: Its P O W E R! C R U I S E R not power clone.

Notes about V-Max styling:

1. Just a big, lumpy, bulky package, sort of all the componenets bundled together, unlike the others which actually have some flow to their lines.

2. Those fake air scoops have never fooled anyone, and should have gone away ages ago.

3. It's just old. This bike has been in production for, what, fifteen years? More? This isn't the Parthenon we're talking about; updates, changes, even a whole model makeover or three would improve the bike's situation.
Patrick-of-the-Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 05:08 PM   #110
Todd8080
Founding Member

American economy has been global since long before your grandfather was born. And now, as it was then, money is power. If you think it makes no difference which country gets your American dollars, then it is you who are confused.

Japan views America as a cash cow and Americans themselves as bumbling oafs. They have built monstrous financial empires simply by stealing American (and European) designs and selling cheaper versions back to unwitting Americans like you.

Yet you think I'm foolish because I not only buy American whenever possible, I buy from the oldest and greatest motorcycle maker in the world, whose products hold their value more than any other vehicle on earth, foreign or domestic.

An oriental bike, on the other hand, is lucky to last five years before being tossed on the scrap heap (if you ever see a Harley in a junkyard anywhere, buy it, because it's there by mistake).

I find it interesting that so many Asian bike buyers use the phrase "more bang for the buck". In a sense, it's accurate; just like oriental fireworks they're loud, colorful and extremely temporary.

But poor me, my Harley has 84,000 miles on it, will do 130 mph, is worth more now than it was new, draws admiring comments wherever it's parked and has never once left me on the side of the road.

Sayonara.
Todd8080 is offline   Reply With Quote