Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-23-2001, 10:05 AM   #1
caderider
Registered Member

Default Re: Sad News: Single-Vehicle Motorcycle Deaths Rise (Again!)

Well, I just skimmed the entire report - spent about 10 minutes and I didn't see ANYTHING relating to the increased number of bikes on the road - Am I missing something or does that not factor into the stats?

I'm Disappointed. Either that or I completely didn't see it...

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-23-2001, 11:01 AM   #2
Dryfly
Registered Member

Needless to say, over the last 3 or 4 years my local dealer has been selling almost every unit he gets his hands on. A great deal of those bikes were sold to first time riders. It's logical to think that the increase in injuries has to be attributed to the wave of interest and overall growth in the sport. I think it to be very careless to leave out this fact when stating such statistics!
Dryfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 11:24 AM   #3
VFRider
Registered Member

Without equating the accident statistics to the miles travelled, makes this report not worth the paper it's printed on. It's called Statistics 101 and I hope my tax dollars did not fund this PoS. Sure does make it easy for some politician to wave these results and scream for "safer" motorcycles. Makes you wonder if that was not the intent all along.
VFRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 11:54 AM   #4
blip
Founding Member

Default We're missing the point

As we pointed out in our last piece on NHTSA (sid=1137):

"No fatality or injury RATES (that is number of deaths/injuries per mile

ridden, a dubious number at best) have been posted because they have no

miles-ridden estimate yet. However, the fatality rate has risen in '98 and

'99 while the injury rate has decreased over the last decade. In other

words, deaths per reported crash have increased.

This report isn't about deaths per mile ridden, it's stated purpose "This report provides data for insight into possible causes for these fatalities" is just that; insight into why people are dying more frequently per accident.

That is, regardless of accidents per miles ridden, deaths per accident, specifically single-vehicle (thus, usually the riders' fault) are rising. This is what I find so disturbing.
blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 12:38 PM   #5
jmeyn
Founding Member

They're supposed to reduce the number of deaths, regardless of miles travelled. The information on contributing factors is very valuable, although hardly surprising.

It's not safe to get drunk and tired at three in the morning, then take a 150 mph run down a curvy stretch of unlit country two-lane lined with immovable objects with our hair flying in the wind. We knew that.

Could MO or the squidbase locate some miles travelled stats that we could use to normalize the 1990-1999 data?

I wish they had used bike weight or type instead of displacement. I wonder how the increasing availability of supersport reprobikes to confident 19 year old BMX experts effected the curves.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 12:42 PM   #6
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: We

Exactly. The BAC numbers are simply incredible. Maybe we're seeing an increase in suicidally inclined bikers.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 02:15 PM   #7
Poser
Founding Member

This whole thing is both depressing and interesting. The lessening of injuries but rising death rates is really interesting. Maybe protective gear is good enough that, in some cases, it is a digital question- you are dead or you are fine.

That is pretty hard to believe, but it really means we need a new Hurt report. The new report needs to look at factors the original didn't look at and should include non-fatal accidents. (I believe the original only looked at fatal accidents- somebody will likely correct me if I am wrong.)

19 year old squids have always been able to buy overpowered superbikes. The brakes, powerband, and frame on a mid-70s two stroke rocket were such that they were much more dangerous than a current R-1 in most . If anything, current sportbikes are SAFER in many respects. Maybe that is part of the answer- bikes are so good now that if you screw up enough to crash, you are really toast.

Well, no rants today, just lots of questions. Helmet on, armor on, both wheels on the ground. I plan to live to Pose another day...
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 03:50 PM   #8
hola
Founding Member

Default NHTSA ministry of propaganda

Let's see. According to the DOT private moto registrations were up in 99 by 7.1%. This of course does not include estimates of miles traveled -- a dubious figure of course. Of course, with vehicle registrations itself is not good enough, since people own more than one motorcycle.

But it is no surprise that motorcycles have increased dramatically in popularity, not only in sales but also in usage.

It is highly irresponsible and unprofessional to "delay" ratios. All of course, in the quest of more political propaganda, self importance, grandiose (life "saving") ideas and most importantly the need for greater funding to implement such "grandiose" ideas.

Oh, i did forget to mention that by and large most people accident reports are worth krap (exceptions noted). Generally the work of a desintersted child at best, and at wost "politically" motivated "by checking the all importante speed box" (in the contributing factors), either checked by the cop or the supervisor.
hola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 04:19 PM   #9
pk509
Founding Member

Hmmm. Let's see...more motorcycles on the road, more newer, less experienced riders, FEWER riders wearing helmets.... WHY IS THIS NEWS?! Wear your freakin' protective gear and stay alive!
pk509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 04:27 PM   #10
DataDan
Founding Member

Y'all who have seen my previous postings on similar topics may have concluded:

1) DataDan has no life.

2) Government press releases about motorcycle fatalities are a joke.

I would dispute 1), but you're absolutely correct about 2). This instance is no different.

Here are the percentages of motorcycle fatalities that occurred in single-vehicle crashes from 1997 to 2000:

1996 43.7%

1997 44.3%

1998 45.5%

1999 45.9%

2000 45.4%

It's clear that there's little has changed with respect to single- and multiple-vehicle motorcycle crashes. I suppose if one felt that the 1.7 percentage point increase from 1996 to 2000 were statistically significant, one might attribute it to the rapidly growing newbie population.

The numbers reported by NHTSA are indeed increasing, but, as I have repeated endlessly here and in other forums, that is an inescapable consequence of the motorcycling boom. Annual sales of new street bikes increased 50% in two short years from 1997 to 1999 [NHTSA, "Recent Trends in Fatal Motorcycle Crashes", June 2001]. More bikes more crashes. It's as simple as that.
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote