Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-24-2001, 11:45 AM   #81
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Re: hmmm...

I would only say that novice does not necessarily mean young. My father bought his first bike at 49, and is a novice rider. The increase could still be due to novice riders, just older novices.
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-24-2001, 11:47 AM   #82
hola
Founding Member

Default insurance industry is full of idiots

Yes, I have worked in the industry briefly (job offer, why not? I thought) with one the worlds largest. Naturally it is not glamorous or even exciting industry to consider. I think few dream of being is risk analyst, so if it seems it is staffed with nerds, well you are right. I was very unpleasantly surprised at the quality of work. Most products (policies) seemed to make money by shear luck. Others would lose large amounts due to some amazing fookups. In general, most have no or little clue. It seems to run by momentum, rather than genius. While of course there are talented analysts and statician , most are quite lame and go based on other people's work. Most of the time, few understand what they are insuring. So it seems like a "hit and miss" thing. Worst is when they actually behave on "what the other guy is doing". Also keep in mind that your premiums hardly reflect the losses or risk, since most companies have a long list of product lines and of course use your line, to pay up some screwup elsewhere. In addition insurance invests your premiums and many times have lost money, and of course make up for it at your expense. In addition being exempted from anti trust laws, Banks barred from selling insurance, limits of foreign insurance companies and over all market protectionism (aided by US companies) makes is easier if not cozy to be incompetent.

So when you see insurance industry bizarre commercial behavior, just get the picture -- not much different from Dilbert.
hola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 12:24 PM   #83
DataDan
Founding Member

Default Re: hmmm...

...the increase in fatalities is NOT due to an increase in the number of novice sportbike riders, as has been suppositioned by many...

I've looked at fatal crash involvement by motorcycle "style", analyzing 1998 and 2000 California crashes in a limited way. Cruisers, standards, tourers, and sportbikes all increased. Gixxers (all sizes) were way up, but so were 'Wings. Harleys increased slightly as a proportion of the total as did Japanese cruisers in general. But no definite pattern emerged. I think the motorcycling boom has been non-sectarian and the crash stats reflect that.
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 12:27 PM   #84
das
Founding Member

Default Re: We

Blip,

I'm confused by your statement that "people are dying more frequently per accident". I didn't see anything to that effect in the report. What page or section in the report discusses that?

The report specifically says that it only analyzed data on fatal accidents (Section 1 Executive Summary, pg 6: "The analysis was based on 1990-1999 data from the Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS), a census of all fatal motor vehicle crashes."
das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 01:06 PM   #85
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: I am sorry, but you are a moron

I don't need to prove anything. You proved what you are already. You were finished before you started but were too stupid to stop posting. I do love watching simple minds deal with complex issues though. Just keep talking but please stand up and face away from us or your voice will be muffled.
Old 10-24-2001, 01:13 PM   #86
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: insurance industry is full of idiots

I suppose that there could be incompetence, but all the companies are pretty much in step with each other. It's still a money making business also and is run on a profit margin. Obviously risk vs. reward is a big part of that. If the companies were that bad they wouldn't be around for 50 years as many are. Luck doesn't last that long. I'm sure auto analysis is easier than most because there are tangible variables such as age and make and model,as well as accident histories. TO insure against floods, hurricaines, or earthquakes would certainly be a grey area for sure.
Old 10-24-2001, 01:15 PM   #87
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default ABS is only good

for riders who might panic grab the front brake on road covered with loose gravel. I've ridden a motorcycle with ABS, and it sucks. Driven a car with ABS? Pretty much the same thing. But with a car you don't give up much because most car brakes have no feel whatsoever, and don't have independent braking. I still wouldn't want it in a car either. I ride on packed snow, and that would be impossible (well, nothing's IMPOSSIBLE, but it would really suck) to do with an ABS bike. This is because the ABS is not up to the level of my own sensitivity of the tire's grip. ABS is actually a pretty clumsy system where you can actually sense the pumping. Not good at all, when the alternative and natural choice is the fantastic brakes available to motorcyclists these days, that allow you to feel the very surface of the rotor pass under your fingers through the lever. And BMW's ridiculous new system of linked ABS? Just how do you think you'd go about laying the motorcycle down? That used to be an important skill, and there are still where the safest thing to do is lay it down, and end up on your back instead of your face, in a better position to control the slide, and even some shielding from the motorcycle. If you can't use the rear brake seperately, and even if you could it won't lock, how are you going to lay it down smoothly and as controlled as you want to? You don't, you smack it down, and I'll guarantee you that with those cylinders it will spin you 9 out of 10.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 01:17 PM   #88
fr21555
Founding Member

Default Re: Sad News: Single-Vehicle Motorcycle Deaths Rise (Again!)

Everyone's got an opinion..some of the ones here are the same old, same old. One thing I do remember reading years ago was that 50% of all motorcycle accidents involved UNLICENSED riders. This I can believe, as many states have waiting lists bigger than Ted Kennedy's liver and people decide to ride anyway.

Helmets are fine for those who wish to believe they'll survive just fine if they wear one. These are many of the same people that wear flip-flops, tanks tops (if any shirt at all) and do wheelie down the freeways at speeds much much higher than their IQs.
fr21555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 01:22 PM   #89
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default They stay around so long because they screw you

apparently, to make up for their incompetence. You go to the hospital because of something someone else did, the insurance company pays for your med expenses. But not all of them. Never all of them. And you've paid A LOT. You may have already paid enough to have covered all your own expenses if it had been invested. Then, if you decide to sue the other guy on your own for pain and suffering, your insurance company will collect anything they've paid out to you out of whatever settlement you get. They screw people, bad. So no big surprise to me they can have no clue what they're doing and still get by.
Old 10-24-2001, 01:32 PM   #90
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Oh no! I can't believe

I forgot to rip on you for the lanesplitting comment! Outlaw your own self lanesplitting, moron, no one's forcing you. Lanesplitting should be legal everywhere in the US. It should be the option of every licensed motorcyclist. How many of the accidents figuring into the above report do you think were lanesplitting accidents? Would you bet on it?