Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-24-2001, 10:39 AM   #61
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Cutting to the dollars

Well we all have our own opinions of "fault" for the statistics, but since insurance companies are in the business to make money and have their own loss stats we can make certain there are trends. In Illinois any bike over 600cc and a rider under 25 and not married has either HUGE rates or is denied outright. Since we have a mandatory insurance law that means no insurance/no ride. Even under the said parameters, the insurance costs are much higher than for over 25 and/or married. I am sure there are similar rates for other parts of the country. Insurance rates obviously are set on risk vs. return and THEY seem to think it's the young guy with the big bike that does the most damage to life and limb. Since I am older I can buy any bike I like and essentially pay the same for a 250 Kaw to a 1800 Gold Wing. Now even though we all have our own agenda for what we THINK is the problem, the insurance companies go by the bottom line in their assessments until proven otherwise. Same reason why women have lower rates than men unless their personal habits dictate higher rates.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-24-2001, 10:42 AM   #62
Poser
Founding Member

Default They try to kill you?

Were you being a wanker? I have never had anyone intentionally try to kill me. Maybe by neglegence, but never on purpose.

Actually, I am reassured by the fact that MOST cagers actually give me room, acknowledge my presence, and treat me like I belong on the road with them. The occational twit is just that, not a homocidal maniac!

Where do you live? I want to stay away from there! I will take my chances with the dunderheads around here, but I sure don't want to mess with people who are intent on vehicular homocide!
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 10:45 AM   #63
Poser
Founding Member

Default Dangerous GS500s

Some insurance companies think a GS500 is an overpowered sportbike. Well...
Old 10-24-2001, 10:59 AM   #64
Poser
Founding Member

Default You too, eh?

There was no reason to call the cops when I fell off. It hurt a lot for about two weeks, but I didn't need medical attention and could walk away. Thank you helmet, thank you jacket! The bike went home in my brother's pickup and was back on the road two weeks later when I could lift my shoulder again. Thank you Aurora Suzuki!

So we should be skeptical about statistics. I would bet that riders absorb more unreported damage, both physical and economic from crashes than any other road users/ insurance buyers.
Old 10-24-2001, 11:27 AM   #65
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Sad News: Single-Vehicle Motorcycle Deaths Rise (Again!)

I've had a guy pass me on a two-lane country highway (60mph limit, I was doing 65, he passed me at about 80), then pull up immediately in front of me and slam on the brakes full force. Thank God motorcycles have quick stopping distances.

Yep, there are a few maniacs out there.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 11:31 AM   #66
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Another good point

Yep, I've crashed twice (both single-vehicle, walk-away-from-it crashes) but didn't report either. Never thought about that affecting statistics.
Old 10-24-2001, 11:42 AM   #67
DataDan
Founding Member

Default Re: And another rant

I am willing to bet that most of the single vehicle accidents are weekend warriors.

Your hypothesis was sufficiently interesting and easy to check that I couldn't pass it up. You're absolutely right. In 2000, single vehicle crashes accounted for 41% of weekday motorcycle fatalities and 52% of weekend fatalities. For info, 45% of all fatal crashes occur on Saturday and Sunday.
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 11:43 AM   #68
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: The Problem is 3-fold

ABS? No! If you're a half-decent rider you won't lock your brakes in the first place. And I really don't see how fat wheels will save my life. I have never once seen a dual-sport randomly careen out of control because of their narrow, hard tires.

Louder exausts? No! Loud pipes do NOT save lives. Exhausts point rearward, and so regardless of how loud they are, they just blend into environmental noise for someone going head-to-head with you (say, someone about to turn left and cut you off in an intersection). All loud exhausts do is wake up neighbors, polarize the general populace against motorcyclists, and make certain squids feel good about their undersized genitalia.

What shoud we do? Give riders better skills. All I had to do to get my license was ride the bike around the block without dropping it, and prove that its turn signals worked! I took an MSF course anyway, because I'm not an idiot. In general, American motorcyclists are far less skilled than their British counterparts.
Old 10-24-2001, 11:48 AM   #69
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default I'll tell you how...

This confident 25-year old BMX expert has managed to stay out of any major accidents in the four years I have ridden. And only one of the four (single-vehicle) motorcycle crashes I have personally witnessed involved a fellow BMX expert (although I know of another BMX and one MX rider who also crashed their streetbikes this summer.)

If you're going to ride a streetbike, being a BMX racer certainly doesn't hurt. I'd love to see a mountain biker try to ride a sportbike for the first time. Probably wouldn't make it out of the parking lot.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 11:48 AM   #70
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: All generalities and I don

Rod, this guy is a keeper. First he says all old guys are mentally and physically degraded into uselessness but somehow "old" is an elusive figure. Then he has a 65 year old beating him in ping pong, so I guess the age of "old guy" is older than 65. He also uses his professors as references, and I am sure they are WELL past their prime according to his "facts". He thinks reacting quickly is the same as reacting CORRECTLY. He feels that experience in AVOIDING accidents is natural instead of learned over many years and miles. I had him going so good too. I like to keep guys like him "talking" alot for obvious reasons. Really what happened here is his inability to admit he was backing the wrong horse. He will spend 5000 words defending stupidity rather than 3 to admit he wasn't right. I think there is lots more to come from him though, I can feel it.