Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-24-2001, 08:36 AM   #51
R1TCHIE
Founding Member

Default Re: Sad News: Single-Vehicle Motorcycle Deaths Rise (Again!)

I don't know any stats but I have made a couple observations. Actually I've made more observations than I care too. I live across from a Harley shop, and the combination of ability (frequent lack there-of), protective gear (I'd laugh but the fact is depressing) and the all-too-common attitude (thank you Holleywood), has to "also" be a part of the picture. Also the problem of drinking was brought out. I'm sure there ARE exceptions to what I've observed but I have yet to see an established "biker bar" with a row of sportbikes always out front.

Please observe that this is an "also" observation of a multi-layered problem and not a slam of all Harley/cruiser types. Your mention of 19 year olds on supersports is certainly a part of the picture as well.
R1TCHIE is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-24-2001, 08:44 AM   #52
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Well, I see you read your own comments, but not those to whom you originally responded to. If you go back and even re-read your own post, Mr. Reading Comprehension, you'll notice that we're talking about old men and young men involved in ACCIDENTS.

Due to slower cellular reproduction, mending times and healing times are longer, due to more porous bones and decreased bone density, older riders are MORE likely to break something when they fall on their heavier, and poorer handling (we're talking about harleys still, right?) bikes. Due to their increased muscle wasting, they're usually weaker (pound for pound) than a young rider and would be less capable of operating their heavier and poorer handling machines. Due to slower nervous system responses, cognitively and in reaction times (also a proven well and widely accepted fact) their response times are slower than those of a younger rider would be. This FACT, coupled with the poor braking and handling of their heavier bikes, shows that they're less likely to react in time when involved in an emergent situation.

I hope this cleared up everything in your foggy, elderly, organic brain disease-riddled mind, and you now see that "old men on harleys" are more likely to be injured, and their injuries are worse than for young men IN ACCIDENTS" (emphasis added). Jeez.
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 08:50 AM   #53
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Re: Maybe you gotta make it visual for them, blip.

no, no, no,

I meant #single vehicle crash deaths/#crashes

I was just making it visible, not 100% accurate, evidently. My bad.
Old 10-24-2001, 09:16 AM   #54
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Since you didn't answer the question of WHAT AGE DOES ALL THIS OCCUR, which is what I asked in the last post, then I guess all the rambling of the above post does us no good. Tell us, oh wise one when one passes this milestone of degredation and when we should all quit riding? I will wait for your informative answer.
Old 10-24-2001, 09:16 AM   #55
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Accuracy is not your long suit, believe me.
Old 10-24-2001, 09:17 AM   #56
mayhew2
Founding Member

Not to belabor the obvious, but doesn't it also depend on who the someones are, where they ride, etc. etc. I know I would be better off on a Hayabusa with a full-face helmet and leathers than I would be on an Intruder in anything. Would you like to give me one so I can test your theory? =;^/

mayhew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 09:18 AM   #57
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Oh, and I should believe you based on what, again? Petty and childish remarks, my friend.
Old 10-24-2001, 09:19 AM   #58
mayhew2
Founding Member

Default Re: We

Maybe we are seeing an increase in survivable accidents. Increased helmet and other protective gear usage? That's what's so great about statistics, you can use them to prove whatever you are setting out to prove.
mayhew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 09:30 AM   #59
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Wow, rancorous old coot, aren't ya?

I thought about reposting that there is no exact age, just as there is no exact age for onset of puberty, no exact predictable time of death for each of us, no exact hieght we'll all reach, no exact anything for anybody, because I realized I forgot to mention what I'll mention here right after I posted. I figured you'd attempt to retort with something, and true to form, you did, so, I will say that at age 26 (according to my anatomy and physiology professors), the body is at it's physical prime (in most people again, not everybody, you getting the idea yet?). I would guess the decline is gradual at first, but I'd bet there are 65 year olds that could beat me in a game of ping-pong, and I'm 25. I won't throw a number at you as to when people should 'stop riding' (can't spoon feed ya, figure something out for yourself) because there isn't one, and I want to ride until I'm old someday. I never said anyone should quit riding.

You may note, oh sarcastic, cognitively impared one, that I have posted that we should all ride within a safe zone, which varies person to person. You'll have to figure that out for yourself too, I won't always be there to help you muddle through life. Now go take your nap.
Old 10-24-2001, 09:31 AM   #60
Poser
Founding Member

Default And another rant

I am willing to bet that most of the single vehicle accidents are weekend warriors. Miles per week would be an interesting statistic to see for those who fall off. You can't get that information, of course, without some kind of totalitarian system that tracks all of us all the time. If a researcher were so inclined and had the resources to ask survivors of crashes how much they ride, the results might be pretty interesting.

As far as ABS and linked brakes, I don't know if I agree that they are a bad idea for skilled riders. I have never used either one, so I cannot say. I do know how to feel what the tires are doing at both ends and how to catch a lockup before it dumps me in most cases. Hitting a patch of antifreeze might happen too quickly for skill or ABS to catch, so who knows. Sliding around wet onramps at 60 MPH on 38 degree days all winter keeps my butt clenched and my attention focused!

If you ride every day, you develop a sense of which cage is trying to kill you and how to stay out of the way. That sense is not infallable, and I sometimes get surprised, but the likelihood of being involved in a multiple vehicle accident probably decreases significantly with experience, also.

I only drive the cage when I am carrying my wife and son- a little on weekends but almost never during the week. I drive like a rider- with all paranoid feelers out. Being a daily rider reduces my chances of having an accident in the car because I ALWAYS know what is around me, look over my shoulders periodically when a car I knew was behind me somewhere disappears out of the mirrors, etc.

Another study I would like to see, but that will never happen: How much less likely you are to have an automobile accident if you are a licensed and experienced rider! Any bets on when that will happen?
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote