Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-23-2001, 10:56 PM   #21
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

It has been found that helmet wearing (I think we can apply these findings to "safer bikes") can lead to excessive risk taking due to the unrealistic sense of invulnerability that a motorcyclist feels when they don a helmet(insert your comments here). In its crude form, the risk compensation hypothesis states that individuals have a target level of risk that they try to maintain.

Thus, the introduction of more responsive, better braking etc. bikes will lower the actual level of risk for a group of individuals (newbies). It is hypothesized that these riders will respond behaviorally by increasing their risk level to its target through other types of risky activity (i.e., higher driving speeds, alcohol consumption, more risky driving patterns, etc.). It is argued that this behavioral response can offset the positive affects of better handling bikes on motorcycle safety.

However, and this is where your argument is flawed, people likely said (or at least would have been correct in saying) the same things about the bikes 19 year olds were riding in the '70's, "these bikes are so much safer than the bikes built in the '50's," which would have been true, but does not mean that the bikes were "safe". I think the 19 year old we're all talking about will push the safety envelope, no matter what he (almost always male) rides.

When I was 21 I tried to buy a YZF 1000R (right before the R1 came out) and the dealer I went to wouldn't sell it to me. He probably thought he was doing a good deed, or some smack like that, saving me from myself. He was a . I've been riding ever since that day (went to a different dealer, bought my bike) and have never, ever crashed, been ticketed, or had anything bad happen to me. Maybe because I had ridden dirt bikes since I was 8, maybe it's because I have a very real sense of my own mortality, maybe it's because I'm not stupid, but that guy didn't save anybody from anybody. He just lost his commission. My point is, every rider has a limit of acceptable risks they are willing to take (that is why we ride, and most of our moms don't, for example, the risk is not acceptable to them). The dead ones usually pushed that risk too far.

Ride within the safety zone, ladies and gentlemen. I hope to see you on your bike, on the road, not just on the road, or where I work. Your ER nurse,

luvmyvfr

luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-23-2001, 11:03 PM   #22
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default She can

When my shield is down on my RF-800, I actually have more protection!

Those things are designed to stop a pointed, soft lead pellet moving 500 Kilometers per hour, with only 2.5mm indentation. Awesome! That thing's saved my face from rocks and stuff so many times...

luvmyvfr
Old 10-23-2001, 11:05 PM   #23
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default MO

The Subject was supposed to say

"She can't take much more 'o this Captn" What's up with that, MO? Can't put an apostrophe in the Subject line?
Old 10-23-2001, 11:09 PM   #24
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Maybe you gotta make it visual for them, blip.

Jeez, blip, I wish people would read what the statistics are saying. How many times do you think you'll have to spell and re-spell it out to them?

People:

It's not # of deaths/#of people riding.

It's #deaths/#of crashes.

Maybe that will help. We'll see.

luvmyvfr
Old 10-24-2001, 02:18 AM   #25
johnz
Founding Member

Default Re: Sad News: Single-Vehicle Motorcycle Deaths Rise (Again!)

The point about single vehicle accidents, is that there is no car to blame for the crash.

Half of motorcycle fatalities are the result solely of the motorcyclist.

In Australia the massive increase in insurance premiums for above 600cc motorcycles has been attributed to old men buying Harley Davidsons. They are more likely to be injured, and there injuries are worse than for young men in accidents.

Even though the overall accident rate is lower, there are more injuries and fatalities in this age group.
johnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 02:23 AM   #26
Sparky
Founding Member

I remember!
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 02:45 AM   #27
intruderman
Founding Member

Default Are Squids scapegoats?

Just a question I want to pose: how many of these fatalities are in what age group, and with what level of riding experience? We need another Hurt report. I witnessed a serious crash on the Cherohala Skyway in North Carolina this past weekend. It was an older (60ish?) dude on a Drifter. It looked like he went into a corner too hot and locked up his brakes. Very lucky for him he didn't go over the guardrail off a thousand foot cliff. From the look of things I believe he was an inexperienced rider. I remember in my MSF course being told that most accidents involved riders with less than 1 year riding experience and/or on an unfamiliar bike. I think a new Hurt report might help keep the politicians at bay.
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 03:33 AM   #28
hindle
Founding Member

I believe a poster above had a good point.

The bottom line of the article is that you are more likely to die today from a motorcycle crash then you were last year or 5 years ago.

More of the motorcycle accidents are fatal today. According to their stats. Also remember that these accidents do not involve other motorists.
hindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 05:03 AM   #29
jackbird
Founding Member

Default At least dying alone beats taking someone with you

...unless of course you're a suicide bomber.
jackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 05:08 AM   #30
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: Are Squids scapegoats?

I cant remember if I heard this in MSF or somewhere else but I remember hearing if you dont crash in the first 2000 miles, chances are you wont.

I happen to ride 2000 miles a month, so Im increasing my odds (SF to east bay area commute) but then again Im staying on top of my game too. Funny how you can get a sense of who's going to pull something stupid after riding so much. There can be 200 cars in front of me and I can spot one 1/8th mile ahead and know thats the one going to do something stupid. Still take no chances, I ride with a Aerostitch Roadcrafter, steel toed boots (road boots dont come in size 15 *grumble grumble*) Arai Quantum F and wear my Dainese 8 plate spine protector. Luckily after 25,000 commute miles I havent had to test them.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote