Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-19-2001, 01:15 PM   #1
SugarMrPoon
Founding Member

Default Re: Power Cruiser Preview

"i" before "e" except after "c"
SugarMrPoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-19-2001, 01:41 PM   #2
Patrick-of-the-Hills
Founding Member

"Cruisers, cruisers, and more cruisers." Okay, good. Mind telling us which ones are involved, maybe?
Patrick-of-the-Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 02:57 PM   #3
ironmike
Founding Member

Default Hardly a "fad"...

...more likely a "trend". This "power cruiser" segment is a marketing maven's nirvana... it can be crafted to appeal to a broad and yet diverse demographic. It suggests competitive performance and enhanced testosterone experiences - just watch how the advertising evolves. It's not a "bad thing... just slightly wicked" is a likely theme. It appeals to many, offends some, and surely undermines social decorum and conscience... beware the weekend road warrior. Poseur bait? Perhaps, but generally harmless... in fact, who cares?

If it gets more people on two wheels, it's a good thing. If it means the motorcycling experience will have its fun factor enhanced - outstanding! It matters not if riders bear allegiance to the Squid Squadron, the Touring Horde, the Dirt Brigade, or the Milwaukee Mistique... MORE POWER & PERFORMANCE to ALL!!

May our dreams outgrow our reach, and our skills match our rides - whatever they may be at that moment... just ride safe & savor life!
ironmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 03:42 PM   #4
aminalmutha
Founding Member

Default Re: Hardly a "fad"...

I don't mind if motorcycle mfgs. make cruisers out the wazoo as long as they keep making other bikes out the wazoo too. I just hope that the expansion of the cruiser market doesn't lead to the demise of real performance bikes.
aminalmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 04:01 PM   #5
imported_RACER__X
Founding Member

and words that say "A", like neighbor and weigh, and, uh, the name Keith

imported_RACER__X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 06:39 PM   #6
David_2001
Founding Member

Wow a hardly-davidson that'l smoke the rear wheel, a honda with a 40 pound crankshaft ( and proud of it! ) , and a yamaha with a two into one pipe. It's a revolution I tell ya. Why would you worry about adding horsepower to a 650 pound bike. Put $20,000 in performace mods and it's still slow. Cruisers are for women. Either a woman riding it or a some guy looking to impress the girls with loud noises and bright shiny objects. Not a bad thing, just the nature of some people I guess. We should just admit it to ourselves, and stop putting performance and cruiser in the same sentence.
[b]bwhahahaha.......Sport bikes forever![b]

p.s. Please don't get me started about those naked bikes.</p>
David_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 07:46 PM   #7
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

I look at this site nearly every day, and every time, it's for the same reason, to find out what's new and what's next. Every time I read about a new bike, I sit and think what it would be like to own and ride it.

Except for sport bikes. I feel kind of guilty about this, because I know I would love the laser-like handling, the brick-wall brakes, and the warp-speed power. But every time I look at the latest ZX-GixxeR-1 RR, I say to myself, "Damn, that looks uncomfortable." I know I could never justify spending that much money on a bike that had so little real-world practicality. Worse still, there is very little you can do to a sportbike to make it into a practical daily driver.

Power cruisers, on the other hand, are a step in the right direction. Take a practical bike -- one that doesn't fold you up like a monkey humping a watermelon -- and make it perform.

And I'll bet that if you got 2 guys, gave one a Gixxer 1000 and the other a VTX with a Corbin dual-tour seat and a windscreen, and had them race from L.A. to San Diego via Portland, Maine, the guy on the VTX would win.

NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 08:26 PM   #8
boxjoint
Founding Member

Default Naked Bikes Forever!!!

I know you said please but I have to ask....What the hell is wrong with naked bikes??!!!!!
boxjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 09:02 PM   #9
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

So buy a VFR and get a comfortable ride that has eye-flattening power, brick wall brakes, scalpel sharp handling, reliability and low maintenance costs. I'd beat both the guys you mentioned, and according to the NHTSA, I'd be less likely to get into an accident!

luvmyvfr
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 03:54 AM   #10
stogieBill
Founding Member

Default Re: Hardly a "fad"...

You make a good point; my eyes are now opened! I've always wondered why anyone would want to ride a "cruiser". Just because I started out at a young age on little dirt bikes, rode many years and miles, suffered lots of falls and minor damage prior to migrating to the asphalt, I always thought "thats the way you're supposed to learn to ride bikes". But you know what?, at age 50, riding a dirt bike has as much appeal to me now as doing some of the other hare-brained stuff as did as a younger man.

If people want to ride cruisers, or learn to ride motorcycles using a cruiser as their entrance to the sport...great. I expect some will stay with cruisers and some may morph to sport/sport-touring/touring bikes. Overall the sport will have more political clout and better informed cagers when more drivers experience riding. Thanks.
stogieBill is offline   Reply With Quote