Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-23-2001, 04:34 AM   #51
kbeemer
Founding Member

Default Re: Daytona Preview

I am always amazed at how many people have no idea just how good a K1200RS really is. I would strongly suggest that anyone who doesnt really care for one but really wants a premier SPORT Tourer go out shop around and find a 1-2 year old K1200RS pick it up for around 10k - 11K and go out and just flog it for about 6 months!! I mean do your maintenance so your not abusing it that way. But go out and just f***ing flog it bounce it off the rev limiter and ride the He** out of it. Then form and opinion of it and if you still dont love it sell it for what you paid for it! You will be amazed at what it will do and just how many bikes it will smoke!!!! And at the flogging it will take with out complaining or breaking down!!
kbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-23-2001, 05:16 AM   #52
caderider
Registered Member

Default Re: GoldWing riders are posers?

Well, since you asked, this touring bike rider isn't out to be 'seen' - I am out for the ride! And believe me, as big and sloppy as my machine handles, I do fairly decent on the twisties.

I just hope we get 'seen' by that next left-turner...
Old 10-23-2001, 10:28 AM   #53
Lateshow321
Founding Member

Default Bandit 600?? You've obviosly never been on one

Can you say boring??? get a ride on an SV 650 if you're looking for a hoot of a naked and affordable bike. The Bandit has NO torque and few ponies...its the worst bike for sale, by contrast the SV has loads of character, gobs of low end torque...its ten times the value and fun.
Lateshow321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 11:41 AM   #54
caderider
Registered Member

Default Re: Power Cruiser Preview

**>--women don't know the difference--<**

I may be wrong, but you may be opening up yourself for a gender war there.

I am male, but know a few females that not only know the difference, but ride them as well...

Now all I gotta do is get my wife to ride...
Old 10-23-2001, 11:43 AM   #55
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default I meant into the corner.

I like the big power too, but wheelies are just too easy to brag about. I think the power is like a luxury, better to tour with.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 12:02 PM   #56
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default I think you are HARDLY the typical sportbike rider.

First, the Ducati. Then, the fact that you're called Granny. Am I wrong assuming you're female? Then, the fact that you ride a DUCATI 400 miles a week. Now I really like Ducatis and don't want to put them or their riders down, and I'd be happy to ride one a lot more than 400 miles a week if someone else did the maintenance, but I sure know a lot of Ducati riders who aren't bothered by the frequent valve adjustments because 5000 miles comes around so infrequently--some haven't gotten to 5000 miles yet, they think that's a big number.

You can think you're typical all you want--you're not. Not that it really matters, it doesn't make a fully faired sportbike less of a machine. But I certainly believe people who don't understand naked bikes are less likely to be familiar with seriously using a motorcycle every day wherever you go.

I prefer to start with a fully faired sportbike and strip it, because they usually have better chassis, but also because the motor is unstyled. Stylists usually just screw things up. I want to see the escence of it, the parts that work--it's not a car. I'm not the masses, and I don't need an appliance I need a motorcycle.

It's not a human, it's a bike. I don't want to see my girlfriend's innards, because she's not a machine. And by the way, once you move the sidemounted battery under the fairing, your 916 is beautiful. If you really must use a human analogy, the fairing is a superfluous attachment that can be removed with the bike still operating, and motorcycles were originally created without it--so it would be clothing, not skin.

I think it's fine if you like fully faired bikes, but please save this crap about not going over 80mph. That is crap, and a myth perpetuated by geeky American motorcycle magazine types. The only problem I've encountered on an unfaired bike up to 130mph is not enough power. I'm sure that going more than 130mph would not be a problem for me if I had a naked hayabusa, or open class sport bike. More than enough top speed for a transportation tool, I really want the power for the acceleration anyway. Aside from stripping fairings, I like to change the riding position to one that's leaned forward enough for me to get down on the tank when I need to, but upright enough to be flat-trackable when I hit nasty stuff or dirt roads. And comfortable enough for me to do 16 hour 1000 mile days with no windshield.
Old 10-23-2001, 12:06 PM   #57
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Uh, yeah. Exactly. Missed my point?

I was talking about most cruiser riders and sportbike riders, ESPECIALLY the ones that talk smack about the other, being the same posers, with different methods. They also tend to think that the only kinds of motorcycles are sportbikes and cruisers. So, you're right. Goldwing riders aren't sportbikes or cruisers, and they aren't especially likely to be posers.
Old 10-23-2001, 12:09 PM   #58
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Bandit 600?? You

In what kind of world does 80hp mean "few ponies"? Performance inflation is getting rediculous. I remember the Bandit being the "fun, fast, exciting" winner of the 1995 Budget Bike test. Have the layout of the roads changed so much since then?

But yes, the Bandit likes to be revved. So do a lot of bikes. Some people even consider that fun--look at GSXR riders.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 03:13 PM   #59
granny
Founding Member

Default I'm more typical a sportbiker than you claim

While I think that the 916 engine is a "pretty" as any motor, I find the 996R (which I've been fortunate enough to look over carefully) to be altogether gorgeous without fairings but I would not ride it without fairings. But that's a matter of opinion. It is still a fact that fairings have pragmatic value. A simple test that I once had to perform involved riding my 916 for a couple of weeks with no fairings, the fuel economy dropped about 5 miles per gallon. Likewise I've seen a small but measureable fuel economy difference between wearing Aerostich versus leathers. I care a bit about that, you may not.

Though I'm not interested in riding more twelve hours a day whether on a motorcycle or a bicycle, I have on many occasions ridden 600+ mile days with other sport bike riders and to that extent I disagree that I'm an atypical sportbiker. I run about 10Km per day and watch my diet so I'm not too concerned about what I look like in the locker room but neither would I parade around without clothes but only for pragmatic reasons - I hate being cold and clothing is protective. Likewise, fairings have pragmatic value. Never mind the fact that naked bikes look like they are missing something (even the most atttractive human models are enhanced by strategically placed clothing).

In any event, I'm in favor of people riding the style of bike they like, anything at all as long as it has two wheels.
granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 10:50 PM   #60
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default You get used to it.

You learn to relax your legs. They don't cramp because of the position, they cramp because you're holding them in, or keeping the muscles too tight. Mine used to get tight on a 2 hour trip. I'd get to the tollways and I'd be dying to put my legs down. Now I it's nothing. I go farther than that between tanks of gas, and my legs never bother me even towards the end of a second consecutive 800 mile day. You learn to notice when you're not relaxing something (hands, legs, etc) and stop using muscles you don't need to use long before they cramp. By the way, I'm 6' 2" and I can do 800 mile days no problem on most sportbikes. Even the harsher ones will only bring mild discomfort.