Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-22-2001, 08:45 AM   #41
mandrake_the_mollusk
Founding Member

Default Kinda weird analogy there guy...

I've never seen an engine that looked as stomach-turning as exposed internal organs (guess you've never seen any real gore in your life). However IMO some motors border on true works of art and others have beauty only in their function and are best left covered up. Ducatis are like that. Their mechanicals are not pretty. So they cover them up except on models meant to be in-your-face ugly like the Monsters. Moto Guzzis and Harleys, for example, have handsome motors even if they are technically behind the times. Some Triumphs and Beemers have engines pretty enough to show off too and so do a few Japanese bikes. Many of those naked bikes that are gifted with other pretty parts are among the most beautiful motorcycles of all because they are an eye-feast of form integrated with function. I'm not saying they're the *best* motorcycles necessarily, but certainly the most attractive. On the other hand many full-bodied bikes (Ducatis excepted) have been utter disasters both aesthetically and in the marketplace such as the Honda Pacific Coast.

Bikes are like people. Those that look best with all their clothes on should do the rest of us a favor and never EVER go naked or even skimpily dressed for chrissake. But that's NOT true for everybody, of course!
mandrake_the_mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-22-2001, 10:38 AM   #42
VegasShawn
Founding Member

Default Re: Power Cruiser Preview

So you try and make your own little "Valkyrie Powersliding Through the Desert"-like video, except you do it on the street with a V-Max. But you still don't include the Valkyrie in your "Power Cruiser" test comparison?!

If I said it once, I'll say it again. It boggles my mind that the Valkyrie is not included in your power-cruiser comparison test. The Valkyrie is the ORIGINAL of the modern Power Cruisers! (Depends on if you call the V-Max a cruiser, or even modern)

Regardless, why, oh why do you not include it?! Why does the Valkyrie get love?
VegasShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 10:40 AM   #43
VegasShawn
Founding Member

Default Re: Power Cruiser Preview

I mean, Why does the Valkyrie get NO love?!
VegasShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 11:12 AM   #44
Grover
Founding Member

Default Re:Humping a Watermelon sounds like fun..

If I did try that trip on a V-rod I'd end up with forearms like Popeye. But I can see how a big gut wouldn't fit so well against the tank of a sportbike, unless you have one of those guts you can lift up and set on top of the tank, in which case you might be in pretty good shape.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 12:13 PM   #45
tbuse
Founding Member

Default Re: Naked Bikes Forever!!!

I rode a ZR-7S at Daytona this weekend. I'd frankly never heard of it. It was just what they had available at the Kawasaki demo rides. It was a great little inline 4. A lot of fun and I could actually see riding one of them every day. A real nice bike.
tbuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 12:38 PM   #46
tbuse
Founding Member

Default Re: Daytona Preview

I was in Daytona this weekend also. I rode the V-Rod, put 130 miles on a Triumph America (I like this bike. Comfortable, good looking, and stable, even in a driving rain.), rode two BMWs (the R1150RT, hated it and the K1200RS, loved it), a ZR-7S, the Buell S3 & S3T & Blast (me on a Blast, not a pretty sight.), the Victory and a Harley Road Glide (liked a lot), Electra Glide Ultra Classic (hated), Softtail Standard (what I consider the best "starter Harley") and Dyna T-Sport (a nice handling bike). I liked the V-Rod a lot. Harley has a winner with that engine. The seat, wheels & tires would have to go. My favorite bike, surprising the heck out of me, were the Buell S3 & S3T. Though I kept hitting the rev limiter, I was very impressed by the handling and power delivery. My second favorite was the K1200RS. A surprise as I'm not a BMW fan.

Oh, and about those straight pipes? My brother & I both noticed that a lot more of those were on metric cruisers.
tbuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 01:21 PM   #47
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Naked Bikes Forever!!!

Awesome! They're kind of rare bikes, so I haven't gotten a chance to talk to anyone who's ridden one before. I've got a few questions, if you've got time to answer.

1) Some people described lumpiness or weakness in the lower RPM range. Did you notice anything, or is this just magazine people being finnicky?

2) Exhaust note--is it high pitched (like a sportbike) or a deeper hum (like a Nighthawk)?

3) Was buzziness/vibration objectionable, or was it a smooth engine? The mags have really disagreed on this point (except for MO, which has NEVER reviewed the ZR7 *ahem*).

Thanks! You can email me at emitto01@tufts.edu if you've got the time.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 05:33 PM   #48
David_2001
Founding Member

Default Re: Wheee.

Oh, you mean out of the corner, yeah I can do that(not at a professional level mind ya). I thought you meant into the corner. I see guys do it at the track but i wouldn't know where to start. I've seen one guy doin it on the street, but I also saw him ridin' under a flat bed 18 wheeler, so he don't count. At boy ain't got no sense!
David_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 05:38 PM   #49
David_2001
Founding Member

Default Re:Humping a Watermelon sounds like fun..

Well there's a mental image I didn't really need to see!
Old 10-22-2001, 05:46 PM   #50
David_2001
Founding Member

Default Re: GoldWing riders are posers?

You're right posers want to be seen, and who would wanna be seen on a Gold Wing? hahahahahahah.......just kiddin..........not really HAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHA