Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-21-2001, 08:57 PM   #31
David_2001
Founding Member

Default Re: Naked Bikes Forever!!!

So what do you think of dual-sport bikes? I think I would go with one of those for the riding you wrote about, but I dunno, its a close call.
David_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-21-2001, 09:05 PM   #32
David_2001
Founding Member

Default Re: Wheee.

Nah, I'm not that good yet, but I'm workin on it. But I'd love to have on of those supermotards too! To bad I'm not rich, I think I would have at least one of every kind of motorcycle. I'm just addicted to the power of the big sport bikes.
David_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 02:40 AM   #33
Grover
Founding Member

Default Re: Power Cruiser Preview

Although not the specific bikes you mentioned, I test rode a V-rod LOVED it, it was a total hoot, but on the highway, at 80 mph, I was hanging on for dear life because the wind hits you square in the chest and wants to rip you off the bars, and there's no way to change riding position.

My 900SS on the other hand I rode almost 7000 miles in 11 days with extended stretches of 100-110 mph (northern Washington state was surprisingliy barren) with no more than a bit of soreness under my right shoulder blade from hanging onto the throttle all day. And if something started to ache, I could move around.

Point being, you may be leaning forward on a sportbike and humping a watermelon, but there's this nice balance to be struck between leaning forward a bit and getting blown backwards by the wind a bit that tends to even out right around 80 mph, on my bike anyway. I'll take 800 miles a day on a well set up sportbike over a cruiser anyday.

All this of course is without a ginormous and ugly windshield on the cruiser, which I'm sure would help.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 05:13 AM   #34
Donster
Founding Member

Default Re: Wheee.

Powerslides have gotten that much easier since I've gone one down/one up on my sprockets. With the suspension properly set-up my yzf1000 fishtails on demand...and when the temp. starts to drop at night at this time of the year, and the tire feels like hard plastic, well that's just a bonus!
Donster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 05:25 AM   #35
Donster
Founding Member

Default Re:Humping a Watermelon sounds like fun..

...and I bet that if you tried that little trip on both bike's, you wouldn't make such a statement.. unless your 5'9", 350lbs, and simply don't fit the riding position of a sportbike
Donster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 06:46 AM   #36
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

Default . . . But then the rind starts to chafe.

I once rode my Seca II from New Mexico to Virginia, pulling consecutive 600 mile days. Now, a Seca II is nobody's idea of a sport bike. Every day I got on the bike, I would be fairly comfortable for a while, and then my legs started to cramp up because I couldn't stretch them out. Towards the end, I had to take five minutes to stretch and walk around every hundred miles or so. And yes, I am 5'9", and no, I do not weigh 350 pounds.
NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 06:59 AM   #37
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Naked Bikes Forever!!!

I don't like American-style dual sports (like the KLR650 and XL650) because they lack refinement. The euro-style dual sports that are available in the US (F650, Pegaso) would be awesome if they weren't so frigging expensive. On the other hand, they're really just lightweight standards--not suitable for anything rougher than a dirt road. So why not just buy a standard (not a 130hp naked bike, but an ordinary standard)? A W650 handles a dirt road and wrinkled pavement just as well as an F650 does, and though I haven't gotten to test-ride one yet, I'm sure a ZR7 is pretty capable too.

You shouldn't have to buy a dirtbike just because the pavement isn't mirror-smooth.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 07:15 AM   #38
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Default FYI

The "underpowered" Mean Streak (silly name) has more torque, hp and weighs less than a Fat Boy or any other big twin H-D (the new V-Rod is a different story).
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 07:44 AM   #39
granny
Founding Member

Default Re: Testify brother!

Few sportbike riders are mere pub hoppers. I think I'm a typical sportbike rider in that as there is no ice, I ride my Ducati 916 over 400 miles per week. Half or more of that is riding in hilly rural areas which provide considerable opportunity for knee dragging (which I find considerably more interesting than pulling wheelies). If you ride at 80mph or more the fairing provides considerable advantage. If nothing else, when riding in a somewhat tucked position, I often average over 50mpg which is nice because it means I need to make fewer fuel stops. Another point is that if you low side a bike with fairing there is less likely hood of mechanical parts grinding away.

Naked bikes are about as appealing to me as humans with transparent skin - looking at bike internals is about as interesting as looking at large intestines filled with excrement. Face it, your significant other would be a lot less interesting/appealing if her/his viscera were on proud display. I sympathize with the designers that have to figure out how to package all the working details of the bike in full view, they have have to make the mechanicals work and look pretty (naked bikes are as much about aesthetics as faired bikes or cruisers or...). The designers of faired bikes on the other hand are able to put their undivided attention on making the mechanicals do the right thing and not waste time worrying about how the mechanicals look with the fairings off.

Regardless, ride what you like - anything with two wheels is better than anything with four.

granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 07:58 AM   #40
granny
Founding Member

Default Re: Not if I was the one on the GSXR1000...

I agree with you. I really don't understand what all the griping about riding sport bikes is about. I ride my 916 from fillup to fillup (about 200 miles) without a problem. Usually by that time I'll need a gatoraid and biobreak anyway. The most important thing is to wear comfortable riding gear. The riding position of the GSXR1000 is not much different than that of the 748/916/996/998.
granny is offline   Reply With Quote