Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-21-2001, 09:57 AM   #21
David_2001
Founding Member

Default Re: Naked Bikes Forever!!!

Well .....since you asked. It's not really the bikes I don't like, its the hole marketing blitz from the industry. A few years ago, these bikes were called standards. Where were the legions of fans then, when they didn't have a cool name like "naked bikes"? Now theres this big push from the motorcycle industry and press to "pump up" the naked bikes. I really, really ,really hate that Yamaha add where they try to say that the Fazer is a R-1 for the real world. The R-1 is a R-1 for the real world!

The bikes really are pretty good I think. They pretty much do every thing the average person would ask of a motorcycle. I just tend to ask a little more from a bike and I don't ride to work. I only ride when I can really go out and ride. I can't just go from point a to point b, I have to take every road that might have a few good curves, but that's just me. I put about 9000 miles of pure recreational ridding in over the last year, including five track days.</p>

I hate to see guys, and I've seen a few of them, who think that a Fazer will hang with a real sport bike, GSXR 750 in my case. It's just sad when they try it, just sad. If they wanted a fast bike, they should have bought a fast bike. I guess the diplacement misleads them. But I know most of you guys don't think like that.</p>

David_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-21-2001, 10:02 AM   #22
ghekko
Founding Member

Default Re: Daytona Preview

Skorpions Rule!!! The fact you don't see more around just shows what a bunch of posers most riders are, they just have to ride the latest status symbol, or buy into the latest marketing ploy, like the sheep they are.

ghekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2001, 10:26 AM   #23
David_2001
Founding Member

Default Re: Power Cruiser Preview

I agree that a lot of sport bike guys are posers. I see a lot of guys who buy a GSXR 1000 or a 996 and cruise the beach in search of women. My question would be: why not buy a 600 or a 748, women don't know the difference and they are a lot cheaper.

I allready have a woman so I only go the beach if there is a wheelie contest or a bike show. You were right about the track. I love the track! I encourage anyone who owns a sport bike to try it. If you own a GSXR or a R-6 and don't, you are just plain silly. You will really see what the bike is all about, they are amazing bikes. I think it also helps you on the street, in that you know what you and the bike are really capable of doing.

</p>

I love all motorcycles, I don't think I've ever seen one I didn't stare at. I really, really want a bike from West Coast Choppers. I just think its funny to see guys who go out and buy a cruiser, then put untold sums of money into increasing horsepower, only to have a slow 650 pound bike. And they're usually the guys who get all bent when some guy on a sport bike does a burn out or a wheelie. If you want a fast bike, buy a fast bike.

Old 10-21-2001, 10:34 AM   #24
David_2001
Founding Member

Default Re: Testify brother!

HEY......who rides little wheelies? Not me, I ride those long 80 - 90 mph stand-up wheelies. .............I can do a pretty decent stoppie too. .............hahahahaha
Old 10-21-2001, 11:00 AM   #25
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Naked Bikes Forever!!!

I see you're a track rider--in which case a naked bike couldn't hang with a trackbike. On the other hand, there are situations where the naked bike is better--and I'm not talking commuting.

Consider a luxurious piece of mountain two-laner called the Peak-to-Peak Highway (in the general area of Boulder, Colorado). It's winding, twisty, fun, and beautiful. However, the pavement is poorly maintained (and in a few cases it switches over to dirt), so a softer "naked bike" suspension will serve you better than your sharp-but-finnicky GSXR suspension. Secondly, top speed. Sure, you could do the Peak-to-Peak at 105mph instead of 70mph if you were on a GSXR, but what happens when there's gravel in the next turn? Or perhaps large fauna (deer, wild dog, or even bear) standing in the middle of the lane of traffic? Because of the extreme rural nature (read wildlife and road irregularities) and high number of blind curves, it's better to do it at 50-70mph. And at those speeds, most people agree that naked bikes are more fun.

Also remember comfort. You may be comfortable on a GSXR for real-world riding, but most people aren't. The naked class, on the other hand, is very comfortable for most people. A friend of mine traded in a Shadow 750 for an FZ1 last summer, and next summer my Shadow 600 is being traded in for an SV650 or ZR7S. Naked bikes are great compromise bikes--much more comfort than a track bike, but much more performance than a cruiser. But a jack of all trades is a master of none. You don't seem like a compromise person (not a bad thing, just a fact), so obviously they aren't for you.

I also hate the term "R1 for the real world," because it implies that bikes like the FZ1 don't have enough merit to exist on their own.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2001, 05:33 PM   #26
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Not in corners.

Sure, they have to be tight enough corners to keep it under a ton, but that skorpion will literally run rings around the t-bird on a tight enough road. Also, the one I rode had a race can and a fantastic thumper sound. The handling and sound made me feel like I was in an old b&w reel from the isle of mann
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2001, 05:40 PM   #27
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: Standards Forever!!!

Student, once again you and I seem to be on the same wavelength. A sportbike is made for slicing and dicing. A standard is made for doing whatever the rider wants it to do at the time.

I rode the TwinStar around Jamaica last week. Rode everything from dead-straight two-lane highways to twisting mountain roads to cart tracks in canefields. The 'Star did none of it fast, but it did it all.
BigGit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2001, 05:49 PM   #28
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Wheee.

But can you powerslide on pavement? If I was going to buy a bike just to play on it'd be a supermotard, the sportbike stuff gets boring for stunts.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2001, 05:54 PM   #29
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: Naked Bikes

There are two kinds of naked bikes: standards and streetfighters. Many of the modern naked bikes (FZ-1, Speed Triple, 919) are going toward the streetfighter crowd.

If I was going to buy a big bike, I would go for a standard like the Nighthawk 750, Bandit 600S or ZR-7.
Old 10-21-2001, 06:05 PM   #30
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: GoldWing riders are posers?

They're neither naked bikes nor cruisers, and I don't think people would buy those for posing, mainly because posers actually want to be seen, which is hard to achieve when the bike is so big...