Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-20-2001, 08:45 AM   #11
A_Nominal_Squid
Founding Member

Default Re: VFR

While I can't dispute the ride and reliability quality of the VFR, I'm not sure I agree about:

Eye-flattening power - mmm, no. Perhaps if you just came off an EX500 or the like, but the VFR's motor is not as powerful as it could be, given the displacement. There are ways to fix this, but not many, and they're expensive.

Brick wall brakes - Can't comment on 98-01's because I only rode one down the block, but the brakes on my '96 suck. Badly. A fork swap and set of PFM 6-piston calipers and rotors from a VTR1000F is my next mod, if I keep the bike that long.

Scalpel-sharp handling - Perhaps, if the rear ride height is raised about an inch, and you don't use Dunlop tires. A set of Azaro II's and shimming the rear shock help out immensely here.

Just venting..I'm stuck at work and bored as all hell

-a_nominal_squid-
A_Nominal_Squid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-20-2001, 10:13 AM   #12
g-bear
Founding Member

Default Re: Power Cruiser Preview

Considering the unbelievable power (!) of the Mean Streak, why not including the Magna which is a couple of tons lighter? Because @ $7500 can't be considered as a cruiser? And how about throwing in a nice Indian!?!? Those babies aren't any heavier than a Kaw or a V-Rod (by the way, you can find a $18000 Scout @ $14,500, go compare with a Mean Streak!) and give 80 ponies in stock version. Also, isn't a Fat Boy or a Dyna Super Sport more "power cruiser" than those big underpowered Kawasaki or Yamaha things (of course, I'm not talking about the V-Max)?

By the way, I have nothing against Kawasaki, in fact I ride a Vulcan 500, and I have a whole lotta fun on it (I even go for the long haul!).

Peace.
g-bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 10:24 AM   #13
g-bear
Founding Member

I kinda like sport bikes, I may even think about getting one... OK, I would probably go for a naked bike and yes, I like plain black or dark gray or whateveritis on that new Honda. The problem with "pure" supersport bikes, IMHO, is that you cannot really appreciate them unless you go to the track. If you do, it's REALLY OK. If you don't, you have something that gives you lots of HP at revs you don't normally reach, on the street, unless you reach them and then you have to push hard your brakes before ending up in jail, in plain words lots of unused power! Kinda like having a Ferrari and using it on the street with 60mph speed limit.

I'll tell you what: I've been here for 4 years, I'm Italian, and if I were in Italy I would consider buying something like the naked Honda 900 or the naked Kawasaki, but I would have a serious reason: the chance to go @ 140-150 on the highway with very little chance to go to jail (OK, and a very serious one to get killed, but that's another story.

My feeling, though, is that lots of sport bikes owners are not less posers than lots of H-D owners. The only difference, it seems to me, is seeing them in front of the Varsity rather than the Roadhouse Bar, here in Athens, GA.

Please, let me know what you think about the whole story. In any case, have fun whatever you're riding, even if an electric bike.

Peace.
g-bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 11:47 AM   #14
Beethoven
Founding Member

Default Re: Hardly a "fad"...

I have wanted to trade my ST1100 for a Cruiser for several years now but have been held back by a long list of cruisers that featured lousy brakes and marginal handling (and I tried about 13 different ones - some several times). Every one had faults, some of them major, and I was just not satisfied (with the exception of the Duece which had a wonderful feel that I loved but could not afford).

I recently bought a Kawasaki Mean Streak. (yes I tried the VTX several times). The Mean Streak is an absolute hoot to drive! The brakes, handling and sound are fantastic. Power is good, and can be easily upped with a Thunder air kit and pipes. Frankly the bike makes many of the cruisers I tried look like the manufacturer was producing the minimum he thought he could get away with so profit could be maximised.

In my opinion the power cruiser trend is nothing more or less than a recognition of the fact the riders want bikes that are fun to ride. The new power cruiser trend should have been here many years ago. It is not a fad. It is the way bikes are supposed to be in the first place.
Beethoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 12:22 PM   #15
BuellBoy
Founding Member

Might as well throw in a 2002 Victory as well. Rode one down at Biketoberfest this past week. I'm not a Cruiser rider, but I have to admit, I liked this thing. Not enough cornering clearance (bounced my foot right off the right floorboard in one sharp right-hander) but it definitely has the power and torque to run with the Mean Streak. Probably more...
BuellBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 02:42 PM   #16
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Naked bikes are the ONLY bikes for non-posers...

What's the difference in a chrome monument cruiser and a sportbike all clad in flashy plastic that has little function except at speeds that require a suicdal fixation to even think about on public streets? Except for those few who get their money's worth out of them at closed tracks, sportbike riders are just as much posers as the cruiser set. A real motorcyclist rides a naked bike and only hangs crap on it when that becomes necessary due to weather and/or distance.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 03:50 PM   #17
ORS111
Founding Member

Default Re: Hardly a "fad"...

NOW THAT MAN CAN WRITE THE TRUTH -- NO MATER WHAT YOU CHOSE TO RIDE .. LOOK GOOD AND MOST OF ALL BE SAFE
ORS111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 08:02 PM   #18
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Testify brother!

Sportbike geeks and cruiser geeks are two sides of the same posing coin. It's hilarious the way they talk crap about each other, then do basically the same things in different ways, and both act like they're so different and don't even know what a just-plain-motorcycle is. I may have more respect for the sportbike machinery, because it can be stripped and turned into perfectly good naked bikes, but the fratboy geeks on the stock egg bikes are just lame, and they never actually ride anywhere anyway. Around here the only difference is that cruiser geeks pose by making noise, and sportbike guys pose by riding little wheelies now and then, but both groups without actually riding anywhere. Just wheely, circle, and park. Blip the throttle til the light turns green, ride 1/2 block to the next bar and park. Oh yeah, and they're different because the cruiser geeks hang out inside sports bars and the sportbike geeks hang out outside gas stations.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 08:16 PM   #19
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Not if I was the one on the GSXR1000...

That's really much too easy. Make it a 996, that's one reviewers like to whine about isn't it? I'll still pull 1000 mile days easy. And have you people never heard of streetfighters? It's very easy to change the riding position or whatever you want on a sportbike. You can make it do anything you need it to do--certainly anything a fake harley can do.
Old 10-21-2001, 10:00 AM   #20
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Re: Daytona Preview

Ok you get points for hating the bonneville america, but why would you skip the MuZ and Guzzi tents? Have you ridden the MuZ's? The Skorpions are a really great ride, beautiful handling. I think you meant a softail deuce by the way, dynas are not softails (fortunately for them). ZZR12... yeah it's ok, but... yawn. New Hondas... all yawn except the CR450 and that 919 (that's the naked one, right?). Whoever wrote that the 919's styling is behind the FZ1's a tasteless hack. That's what the FZ1 should've looked like. You know, naked bikes should be NAKED, and underseat exhaust is cool. And I don't even like Honda and I'll admit that.