Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-09-2001, 07:41 AM   #71
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Re: Bonneville America Reader Feedback

Harleys don't make any sense to you, yet you ride a cruiser Suzuki woulda never dreamed of making if it weren't for Harleys. Now THAT makes no sense.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2001, 01:20 PM   #72
Maddoggie
Founding Member

Having owned numerous bikes in my life, many European and some Harleys, I have to say that if the America is in any way compared to a HD Sportster it would be a sad day in Triumphs history. My first Harley was a 883 Sportster and I sold it in about 6 months. It was the most uncomfortable, terrible handling, vibrating piece of junk I ever had the misfortune of owning. The problem was simple, I was use to European quality bikes. Even the Harley riders make fun of them. It's always sad to see a Harley new comer buying a sportster, when there are so many better bikes on the market. Harley claims to sell many of them, but you sure don't see them on the road. I could go on and on describing how the sportster motor easily blows up when constantly reved high by my Buell buddies. But that's another story. I currently have a Yamaha FZ-1 which I really enjoy. It's fast, smooth, and handles well. However, I feel the need again to add another cruiser to my garage for those moments in my life when I'm feeling less energetic. The America seems to do everything any Harley can do. It's underpowered, don't handle real well and does it all for $7,999.00 That beats the $20,000 I would have to give Harley for the same features. I bet Triumph is betting theres more people like me out there and maybe there are. My local dealer has already pre-sold almost all his allotment of America's. Haaaaaaaaaaaa
Maddoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 03:02 PM   #73
BigGit
Founding Member

I guess shaft drive, liquid-cooling and '70s styling make sense to him, 'coz those are the major differences between the Intruder and Harleys. Unless it's a Intruder 1400, then it's air/oil cooled...
BigGit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 03:14 PM   #74
BigGit
Founding Member

Interesting... the Sportster Sport is one of the bikes on my wish list, as is the new XL883R. The R is basically a regular 883 Sportster with alloy wheels, triple discs, a dual seat, different exhaust and Bold Not-So-New Graphics. I have been warned about the vibrations by just about everyone and about the ergos for a 6'0", 280 lb git like me. I keep wondering why I wouldn't fit on an 883 Sportster when I do O.K. on my CM200T TwinStar. Can an almost 900cc cruiser/standard really be more cramped than a 200cc tiddler?

I thought the Big Twins were ridiculously huge when they were 1340cc. Where I come from, 1300cc is a car engine. I read somewhere that between the last of the big Flatheads of the '30s and the last of the Shovelheads in the '80s, the Big Twins were 1200cc, which is also huge IMO. Nowadays, Big Twins are 1470cc and Japan makes 'em even bigger! NUTS!
BigGit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 05:53 PM   #75
heyjd
Founding Member

Maybe he meant the harley/intruder price differences didn't make sense to him....
heyjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 10:49 PM   #76
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default You are right, but...

the Legend TT has a low enough seat to offer an nice alternative to cruisers, though it should certainly be considered a standard.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 10:56 PM   #77
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default 270° crank in a parallel twin...

when I said parallel twins don't have 270 degree cranks, I meant that the pistons aren't moving parallel--it is no longer functioning as a parallel twin even though the cylinders are in the same place. The TRX850 was most definitely about the sound, I don't believe that power delivery crap. It's a bit of coincidence that they gave it a Ducati style trellis frame and the 270 crank to make it sound like a 90 degree twin. The only time a crank like this has been used in parallel twins for any functional reason is in flattracking, where they were trying to seperate the power pulses more to try to get the wheel to hook up better without using a lower state of tune. That sort of power delivery may work better on dirt, but it translates to less immediate acceleration on pavement where the TRX and the America run. And keep in mind that the 270 crank idea in parallel twin flattrackers was an afterthought, not a factory design.
Old 10-09-2001, 11:02 PM   #78
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default The existence of the America

will devalue the Triumph brand. It already has for me to a degree.

But it might not in the eyes of the unknowing masses, and you talk like a marketing dept hack staring at the bottom line so that's probably good enough for you. There are already four Japanese motorcycle companies, we don't need another one.
Old 10-09-2001, 11:04 PM   #79
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Oh, a poker run

well then
Old 10-09-2001, 11:24 PM   #80
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default The styling was ugly...

The Dunstall style reverse cone mufflers are no more "ricey" than the peashooter style on the t-bird. The difference is that the peashooter style really looks dumb on a liquid cooled motor in a mono shock chassis. The standard T-bird had cheesey half-assed retro styling, with a very fake sort of look to it. Also, there's not much uglier you can put on a motorcycle than fake cooling fins. The blacked out motor, therefore, is a huge improvement. The cheap looking junk on the tank is gone for a nice single color tank with tasteful logo on the Legend TT. So basically, all the little styling details that kept the t-bird down are fixed on the Legend TT (and the T-bird sport). I don't hate the standard T-bird, I mean it's not a "Bonneville America" or anything, it's just a bit silly looking as is.

Your answer is, I only wish I could be as "wrong" about everything as I am about motorcycles.