Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-07-2001, 07:43 AM   #61
mandrake_the_mollusk
Founding Member

Default Re: Selling poorly my A$$

How could the Legend be a great looking bike and the T'bird ugly??? The Legend is just a decontented "poor man's T'bird" with black paint on the engine, the 6th gear missing, and ricey looking mufflers instead of the lovely classic peashooters (many Legend owners add them). Also suspension is lowered just a tad, but aside from a few other very minor details they're the SAME bike!!!

Hate to keep repeating myself but are you as wrong about everything as you are about motorcycles?
mandrake_the_mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2001, 01:59 PM   #62
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: 270° crank in a parallel twin

The Yamaha TRX850 has/had a 270° crank, and it wasn't a cruiser, and it wasn't sold in the US. It was trying to be like a V-Twin, but this had more to do with power delivery than with trying to sound "cool".

I'm not a cruiser fan either, although I think the Rebel 250 looks cool. Wouldn't mind a Savage either, although I have heard rumours about poor reliability (I have also heard that those rumours are full of $#!+, so I don't know who to believe...)
BigGit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2001, 02:11 PM   #63
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: Really?

<blockquote> The bike is "#$&%ing" gorgeous. </blockquote>

NIMO...

<blockquote> It will sell like hotcakes.</blockquote>

"No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public." - H.L. Mencken (of course the Ford Motor Company proved him wrong when it released the Edsel...)

<blockquote>Triumph *desperately* needs to market a cruiser. </blockquote>

Yes, the article did say something about prostitution...

<blockquote>Sales of the America will make stronger dealerships. That will help those of us who ride other Triumphs. </blockquote>

See the above comments...

<blockquote>"Fake Harleys" have V-TWIN engines. </blockquote>

True enough...

<blockquote>270-degree pll twins do exist, they just made one! </blockquote>

So did Yamaha, for the TRX850...

<blockquote> This is the perfect bike for anybody who falls between squid on crotchrocket and geezer on GW. </blockquote>

Funnily enough, I thought perfect bike for anybody who falls between squid on crotchrocket and geezer on GL (GoldWings are GLs as in GL1000, GL1100, GL1200, GL1500 & GL1800) was the Nighthawk 750...

<blockquote>It is aptly named because America will love it. </blockquote>

Refer to the Mencken quote...

I for one am not enthused. W650 over this any day!
Old 10-07-2001, 02:17 PM   #64
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: Bonneville America Reader Feedback

<blockquote> Kawasaki has their W650, Suzuki has their GS1200SS retro sportbike that's again not for import into the U.S., and the list goes on. Point being, while some manufacturers are attempting to produce heritage and nostalgia, there are certain companies that already had it to begin with. Harley-Davidson for example, and don't forget Triumph. </blockquote>

Please note that Kawasaki (ZRX1200, ZR-7S), Suzuki (Bandits 600 & 1200) and Honda (Nighthawk 750) also have a valid heritage that they honour with bikes currently in production.

Hey Yamaha! Maybe a XT500 would be in order? Or a new XS650? How 'bout the SR500 that's still in production for the home market?
Old 10-07-2001, 03:40 PM   #65
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: You are just straight up #$&%ing retarded!

> Triumph *desperately* needs to market a cruiser.

Triumph HAS, for several years. Their entire "classic" line (Thunderbird, Legend TT, Adventurer) should be considered cruisers. They might not have forward-set footpegs, but neither to Harley Sportsters. They DO have long wheelbases, mellow engines, and "pretty" lines with chrome and thick paint (as opposed to "performace" lines). Your back is totally vertical and you have zero weight on your wrists. The Legend TT even had a seat height of something like 28 inches. All of those things spell "cruiser" in my mind.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 03:22 AM   #66
intruderman
Founding Member

This model makes no sense to me, but neither do Harleys, so what do I know?
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 04:53 AM   #67
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Have you ever ridden a Thunderbird?

I've put 5-figure miles on one and believe me, it's NOT a cruiser. It's much more a retro-standard by ergonomics, feel, sound and performance. Not even vaguely a cruiser. Okay, so it's got a dab of cruiser-like chrome and the paint looks like you could swim in it. But the wheelbase is the same as a Kawi Concours and a Buell Cyclone has an engine so mellow it puts many cruisers to shame. Does that make them cruisers?

Triumph has not marketed a true cruiser (the now-defunct Adventurer came fairly close in styling but not much else) until the America --actually there's quite a bit of controversy among Hinckley Triumph owners as to whether that's something the company needs to be getting into.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 07:14 AM   #68
tbuse
Founding Member

Default Re: This bike is just straight up #$&%ing retarded!

Well, everyone's entitled to their opinion, no matter how stupid it is. I saw the America up close this weekend. It is absolutely beautiful. And based on the reactions of everyone who saw them, (this was at a poker run, including riders of all types) Triumph will sell a bunch of them. They've even learned a trick from Harley & have their accessories already ready. Here's a hint: don't like the bike, don't buy it.
tbuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 11:47 AM   #69
ducatirdr
Founding Member

Curious as to how it performs against the H-D Sportster. Seat height and weight in particular. Also does it hold its weight lower than a sporty? I really like the Trumpet as I had a Â’79 "Bonni". I think my girlfriend would like to get this as her bike and maybe let me take it for a ride down to the local H-D bar. IÂ’d like to see if the bike gets as much attention as the old Â’79 did while it was surrounded by all too clean H-DÂ’s.
ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 05:26 PM   #70
unluckyone
Founding Member

Actually I think there are many that will want it, including me. I've been trying to pay off some old debts so I can afford a new bike. I've always have been a fan of mid-size vertical twin bikes. I just don't like overweight bikes, and getting too old for race replicas. I have been debating between the W650 and Bonneville, now I have a new choice to ponder and I think it might be the bike for me. As for the Bonneville Cafe Racer, I bet it is just around the corner. There are many of us out here that are tired of the me-too v-twin crowd. Maybe just enough to keep Triumph in business.

unluckyone is offline   Reply With Quote