Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-05-2001, 07:18 AM   #41
TrumpetSprint
Founding Member

Default Re: Price comparisons

In my part of the country, Harley 883s were considered women's bikes (not chick bikes, there is a difference). "Low" cost, not much horse power, and equipped with a seating position for those who are inseam challenged.

The Sportsters are a relatively "low" cost way of entering the Harley family and finding out whether it is your thing without totally depleteing one's financies.

My local Triumph dealer is expecting an American any day now and it will be interesting to see the reaction to the new bike. He sold all of his Bonnies last year rather quickly and has just gotten a couple of this years. Probably won't last long.

For those who want a Cafe Bonneville, there are enough accessories for the standard Bonnie to put together a pretty good looking "Clubman" Racer.
TrumpetSprint is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2001, 07:54 AM   #42
ignoramus_squid
Registered Member

Default Re: Cafe Bonnie

Triumph is offering a 2002 "Special Edition" Bonneville. It's a Centennial edition or something (100 years of Triumph?). It has a much sportier setup, including a tach. I think there are pix of it on the MCN site.
ignoramus_squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2001, 08:05 AM   #43
Rafi
Registered Member

Default Re: Yeah, I'd ride one too!

I ride a CBR600F3 and a VTR250, and I've never really been interested in cruisers (until the the VTX, etc.) but I would definitely ride this over any Harley ('cept the VRod, maybe).

Rafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2001, 08:48 AM   #44
tbuse
Founding Member

Default Re: Isnt it an old news?

Well, the same rumor was reported on MCN's site. Need some ketchup?
tbuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2001, 08:56 AM   #45
tbuse
Founding Member

Default Re: Bonneville America reader Feedback

The Thunderbird Sport was dropped from the line up because no one would buy it. It makes no sense to make another bike no one will buy. If you want a CB900, check out the 919 just anounced by Honda. Why should you expect Triumph to build an imitation Honda?

If you want a very versital Triumph, try the Sprint RS.
Old 10-05-2001, 09:32 AM   #46
tbuse
Founding Member

Default Re: Bonneville America Reader Feedback

I have owned a number of Harleys, and currently own two Triumphs (Trophy 900 and Speed Triple). I really like the looks of the Bonneville America. Of course there are things I'd change; but then again I've never owned a bike I DIDN'T change. I've already talked to my dealer about ways to get more grunt out of the America. I also told him if they wanted to make a Triumph power cruiser, they needed to take the Legend frame, drop in the 955i engine, take the tank and instrumentation from the Thunderbird, throw in the pegs, seat & bars from the America, and you'd have a cruiser that cooks.
Old 10-05-2001, 10:34 AM   #47
Dryfly
Registered Member

Default Re: Price comparisons

I just left my Triumph dealer and had a chance to inspect a new American. It is without a doubt a stylish looking bike. Being a T-Bird owner I was quite drawn to the bike. However, the hp/price factor is too out of balance. If it had, say, 100hp I'd pay the $8,000.00. Without the extra omph I'll consider myself just a interested "looker".
Dryfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2001, 11:04 AM   #48
Grady
Founding Member

Default Yep

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/d...D=50677&=94146
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2001, 11:52 AM   #49
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default MCN=More Cr@p Now

If their "scoops" were always correct, we'd all be riding V-6 CBR1500XX's, or perhaps Kawasaki Vulcan Clones, or perhaps the Honda VTX800 Monster clone, etc etc etc.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2001, 04:13 AM   #50
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: Appreciated

Well, I have wanted a W650 ever since I saw a photo of one. However, I am not in the market for a new bike; I'm saving for a station wagon or van, which is better suited for carrying my test equipment from work (or my guitar and amp from home...). Also, I would have been thinking more of a GS500E as being less expensive and closer to the Nighthawk 450 that I learned to ride on. It's an indication of what Jamaica is like that I consider W650s and Nighthawk 750s are dream bikes (actually, Nighthawk 750s are POLICE bikes here!) Then again, there are quite a few 600 sportbikes out here...

Weather and logistics permitting (I have just heard that a tropical storm is heading straight for here), I intend to achieve one of my goals with the Twinstar week after next: I plan to ride around Jamaica.
BigGit is offline   Reply With Quote