Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-22-2001, 10:58 AM   #111
Rayvan3
Founding Member

Default Re: Bonneville America Reader Feedback

OTOH, I've got almost 40,000 miles on my '97. Love it!
Rayvan3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-22-2001, 11:13 AM   #112
Rayvan3
Founding Member

Default Re: What I really meant......

intuderman wrote:

>

For $6,000 you can get a brand new Sportster.

Old 10-23-2001, 06:04 AM   #113
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Ray don't bother. This guy is riding what he "settled" for rather than what he wanted. To cry about Harleys in many places on a non-Harley thread says it all. All you have to do is read the posts to see the "green". I could care less about Intruders. I don't need to justify what I ride by putting others down though. That is what I call "negative elevation". Generally caused by extreme jealousy and envy. If you like what you ride, cool. To blather about other brands is not.
Old 10-23-2001, 10:27 PM   #114
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Bimota had a hub steered bike

but if there was a Britten hub steered bike I haven't seen it. The racer they're famous for had an alternative front end, but it was not hub steered. It was a "mono-fork", for lack of a better term, like the Honda NAS concept bike. Putting hub steering takes balls, anyone putting that into production in innovative. So yes Bimota qualifies, but Yamaha too because they tried to mainstream it. Now I guess you could say the same about the PC because looks that ugly aren't anymore likely to be accepted than the GTS1000, but there's no way you can say the PC is AS innovative as the GTS1000 because the PC doesn't get the difficulty points that engineering and mass producing a proprietary hub steered motorcycle gets. And anyway, it's apples and oranges since the Yamaha's innovation is in the machine itself and the Honda's innovation is luggage--you could strip all the plastic off and the bike would still work. I'm sorry, I just can't see these two design accomplishments at anywhere near the same level.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 05:46 AM   #115
intruderman
Founding Member

Default Can you get a sportster for $6k?

Not in Georgia! Tell me where you see them for that much.
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 06:56 PM   #116
intruderman
Founding Member

Just curious, what's your ride, Long Ride?
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 02:47 PM   #117
Rayvan3
Founding Member

Default Re: Can you get a sportster for $6k?

All over northern CA they're selling at list.

In '96 I paid list for my '97. It was $5600.

I then spent $400.00 on a 1200 upgrade installed it myself (for a total of $6,000). So I've got a 1200cc very torqey bike that has never once failed to start for me and it was real inexpensive.

I love this bike. It seems to run better and better as the miles pile up (40,000 mi) and the damn thing still has the original battery! And no, nothing has ever fallen off (your next bigoted arguement).

BTW, Last week a guy offered to buy if from me for $5,500. I said "No. Ask me when it hits 100,000 miles. It's just gettin broke-in!"
Old 10-26-2001, 04:52 PM   #118
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: It depends on what you want...

...better road handling or better cargo handling.

I always wonder why they didn't base the Pacific Coast on the CX650. I thought it was because they wanted the narrower engine of the Shadow...
BigGit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 01:11 PM   #119
JLittler
Founding Member

Default Re: TDM DOES have 270° crank in a parallel twin...

Well unless you Yanks get a different engined TDM to the rest of the world then the TDM DOES have a 270 crank parallel twin.

I can't find the TDM on the Yamaha American website - there seems to be a whole section missing - UJM's or "standard"/naked bikes - no XJR1300, no FJR, no XJ900, no TDM850 (or news on the new TDM900)

Oh and for the idiot bagging the design - take your hand off it it you haven't tried it. The parallel twin is cheaper to make and maintain (less complex, one set of valve gear etc) and usually has lower reciprocating mass in the valve train (ceteris paribus). The 270 crank gives the same performance characteristics as a 90 degree v twin, with a more forward weight distribution (that's a usually a GOOD thing on a sports bike and sure couldn't hurt a cruiser).

The only disadvantage is it isn't as naturally well balanced as a flat twin(ie BMW), but is better balanced than ANY other two cylinder layout (see here for more details)

John

99 TRX850

(& in reply to the other comments, Yamaha did Trellis frames first, and the TRX is quicker through windy roads than a 900SS, more reliable,more HP, 1/2 the price(literally), sounds just as good, looks good...)

88 KR1

JLittler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 01:20 PM   #120
JLittler
Founding Member

Default Re: TDM DOES have 270° crank in a parallel twin...

Hmm obviously putting ">"'s into URLs makes them invisible !

The first URL for the TDM in Oz is

http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/motor...l.asp?MD_ID=14

and the second for the engine balance webpage is

http://www.dinamoto.mecc.unipd.it/tw...tors/twin.html

JLittler is offline   Reply With Quote