Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-15-2001, 06:15 AM   #101
chriswhalen
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph owner? Feedback please.

I have reserved a 2002 "America" to possibly be delivered by the end of this quarter. I have owned a Harley in the past and enjoyed it emencly. I also have owned many Japanise bikes as well.

This will be my first Triumph. I was very supprised to hear so many negative comments from other riders. I allways liked the classic "Bonneville", and thought this has some of the same appeal to me.

I am, however, dressing it up with the windscreen, front lights, bags and a sissy bar for the wife.

How do you think it will handle about 400 lbs while cruising? How much difference do you think Pipes and Jets will make? How about reliability? I tend to keep a motorcycle for a VERY long time. How do you think the future looks for Triumph?

I would appreciate honest answers if you would. Thanks very much.

chriswhalen is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2001, 07:05 AM   #102
Ziffel
Founding Member

Default Re: Have you ever ridden a Thunderbird?

I agree, 'squeezer, I've been running a T'bird for a couple years now, and it's no cruiser. Really more of a "standard". Overall a very nice, do-it-all reasonably well bike.
Ziffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 06:25 AM   #103
intruderman
Founding Member

Default What I really meant......

Wow, lots of feedback to my comment. Since most of the replys focused on my Harley comment, here goes...

I don't understand the Harley appeal because

1) They're way over-priced for what you get,

2) Greedy dealers mark them up even more

3) They handle like a mardi-gras float

4) They're underpowered

5) They're too wide (that "fat-boy" look, yech!)

So, here's an opportunity to brag on my VX1400....

1) It's nice and skinny, and I love a skinny bike

2) It's got a reliable, powerful motor

3) It handles better than any other cruiser in my humble opinion.

4) I don't have to beg-off when my friends want to ride the "Tail of the Dragon", aka Deal's Gap on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

5) You want a pristine condition, low mileage, big-bore cruiser for less than $6,000? For that kind of money you can get a beat up ten year old sportster 883 or a 1999 VS1400.

Let the flaming continue!!
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 02:58 PM   #104
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: What I really meant......as in what I really WANT!

Maybe everyone just thought that bringing Harley into a Triumph thread was just plain dumb and probably smacks heavily of envy. After the second post I believe that to be entirely the case. Sure glad you are "bragging on" your bike cause nobody else is. Try bragging on it in the next Intruder thread. Oh that's right, there never is any!
Old 10-20-2001, 08:40 PM   #105
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default How in the world

is a trunk as innovative as a hub steering system? It's not. It's a trunk, it just blends into plastic panels that cover everything. Big deal. And actually, the shadow drivetrain is less compact than a four cylinder motor, only narrower, which has nothing to do with the luggage. And certainly far less compact than a parallel twin. The shadow motor was used because it was there, and new tooling is expensive.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2001, 07:23 PM   #106
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Here's how:

It's innovative because:

a: it hadn't been done before, and

b: it is a noticeable improvement over the conventional system.

And yes, scooters did it before the PC800. And yes, Bimota and Britten had hub-centre steered bikes before the GTS1000. Therefore, both are innovative sport tourers, but in different directions.
BigGit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2001, 07:35 PM   #107
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: Cruiser handling

There are two cruisers that should handle better than your VX1400 (or is that VS1400?): the R1200C and the Savage. Maybe three, depending on how well the XL1200S Sportster Sport actually handles.

The Savage is also narrower than the Intruder. And less expensive, leaving you with more money to spend on ego control lessons...
BigGit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 05:57 AM   #108
intruderman
Founding Member

Default Envy? Not!

Feel free to give me a Harley and see what I do with it. If you don't like Intruders, good for you.
Old 10-22-2001, 06:02 AM   #109
intruderman
Founding Member

Default Re: Cruiser handling

I don't know if the R1200C handles better, but I've heard the motor and the "sound" is pretty annoying. And I don't think the extra $$$ it costs is worth it. I don't think you can compare the 650cc savage with a 1400cc Intruder. I've ridden the 800cc intruder and it handles a little better and it can scoot also. Sportster sport, I don't know, but I've heard too many horror stories to want that bike. Anyway, if Intruders aren't your thing then fine. I feel better speaking up for the model, even if none of you agree. I'll pass on the ego control lessons. Peace.
Old 10-22-2001, 06:11 AM   #110
intruderman
Founding Member

Default Re: Bonneville America Reader Feedback

I hope you do get a sportster. Experience is the best teacher.