Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-01-2001, 07:34 AM   #71
Philbiker
Founding Member

Default I think it may take a little more than that.....

Not sure the Bandit frame as it stands would be up for it.

Also I'm not convinced of the long term use of an air cooled inline four. Touring bikes tend to rack many tens of (or even hundreds of) thousands miles and that air/oil cooled engine may not hold up being derived from a hyperbike engine. (of course many police departments may disagree with my assessment as I believe the Kawasaki Police 1000, an air cooled bike, is well regarded for reliability)

It may be a bigger task than you think, and changing to a shaft is a HUGE task.
Philbiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2001, 01:04 PM   #72
thatguyjohn
Founding Member

Default Re: GO HYOSUNG!

If Hyosung can manage to supply it's dealers with parts, then my next bike would be the Comet. It looks purposeful and light. Small bikes that aren't high strung are more fun to ride all day, and don't wear out their parts as fast. I hope to have access to one of these bikes. BTW, doesn't Hyosung make chainsaws, too???
thatguyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 01:18 PM   #73
thatguyjohn
Founding Member

Default Re: 2001 Milan Show

guzzi, I was getting ready to start flaming, but then I thought about it, and you're right. Out of my group of 30-40 there is prob-ly 2-4 people who are hardcore riders. You know the kind that would go by that trick undertail exhaust, but they need to replace tires and would rather shell out $$$ for springs or better brakes... And even the sport-touring guys are picky... Everyone says they want some all-around do-everything bike, but they own RC51's and GSX-R1000's and YZF-R1s. Until more people think of motorcycling as more than a hobby we're gonna be stuck with cruisers, touring bikes, abs sportbikes. What a pisser.
thatguyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 01:36 PM   #74
BigGit
Founding Member

Ah, but I would LOVE to have a Pontiac Firebird (Formula WS6) and a Gibson Firebird (V with Maestro DeLuxe)...
BigGit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 01:44 PM   #75
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: I think it may take a little more than that.....

Converting to a shaft is a HUGE task that Suzuki already did between 1979 and about 1986. The GS line had chain-driven GS-Es and shaft-driven GS-Gs. The GS-Gs have a reputation for reliability (and low levels of shaft reaction) that stands to this day.

How did air/oil cooled Katanas fare in endurance racing?
Old 10-01-2001, 01:58 PM   #76
BigGit
Founding Member

Ummm...ermm...arm... there is probably a reason why Suzuki makes both the GS500 and the SV650... the GS500 is an all-purpose bike which is well suited to that purpose, while the SV650 is the bike you want.

Kawasaki needs a SV650 challenger, but not at the expense of the EX500...
Old 10-02-2001, 09:57 AM   #77
Borg-Biker
Founding Member

Default V-bikes

I can only remember back to the late seventies-early eighties, but as far as I know, Moto Guzzi had the first V-bike: the V65 series. They were 650cc bikes, with a few variations. Then Honda had the V45 series(750cc's, or 45 cid) and the V65Magna and Sabres(1100cc's or 65cid) and the V30Magna(500cc's or 30cid). Then came the Vmax, which is still one of my favs 17 years after I first saw it(can't believe it's still in production!). Then there were a few years of V-less names, I think the V-rod is the first in a while.
Borg-Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 11:23 AM   #78
TrumpetSprint
Founding Member

Take a good look at a picture of the profile of a Norton Manx (try the latest issue of Cycle World-November) and you should notice a lot of similarities.

Ugly is a matter of taste. Big, on the other hand, is not as subjective. From the picture, the wheel base appears relatively short and proportions seem to be Manx like (again look at a picture). Also check out the seat, tank, and riding position.

But since it is a modern water cooled V-Twin as opposed to an air cooled Single, it will by definition be heavier and should perform a whole lot better.

By the way the Manx was the road race bike of its time and was competitive long beyond its time.

TrumpetSprint
TrumpetSprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 02:28 PM   #79
BigGit
Founding Member

Yes, I see an angular surrealist impression of the Manx tank and bum pad (not enough on either the Manx or the Blue Marlin for either to be called a "seat"), but under it I see some ugly grey brackets that seem to be part of the frame and a flat grey engine that seems to be the rest of the frame.

The best looking part on the bike is the chromoly trellis swingarm. Everything between the swingarm and the tank/bum pad unit (which reminds me as much of the Vetter Mystery Ship as the Manx) is ugly, and the industrial grey paint at least serves to make it less noticeable.
Old 10-03-2001, 05:08 AM   #80
hardrivn
Founding Member

I know I would probably love an SV650, actually I may already have one as my brother who is new to riding is not using his bike at all and in a year he will probably get rid of it, so there is a canadian SV650S waiting for me at a great price. But the suspension bits on the Hyosung look tasty even more so at that price point, but then again who knows maybe the internals are pure crap and its all just a pretty package. As for Kawasaki comming up with a challenger for the SV650 if they restyled their EX500 and gave it a great suspension it would be a very real contender to the SV. Of course I want all of this and a reduction in price at the same time

On another note, Suzuki would do very well to sponser an IROC type race with all stock SV650's and invitation only racers/press especially if they wrapped it in a "for charity" type of Public relations effort. and then auctioned off the bikes
hardrivn is offline   Reply With Quote