Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-30-2001, 01:33 AM   #61
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: Police bikes here in Jamaica

Back in the late '80s/early '90s, Jamaican motorcycle police rode CM200T TwinStars like mine.

In the mid-'90s, regular motorcycle police rode Nighthawk 250s and more senior officers rode Nighthawk 750s.

In 1997 I saw the first of what would be many Kawasaki 1000Ps. They still use Nighthawk 750s and 250s and I have even seen an old TwinStar still in police service.
BigGit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-30-2001, 01:46 AM   #62
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: GO HYOSUNG!

Apart from being old designs, is there anything specific that needs to be addressed with the EX500 and the GS500E?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! These are not all-out competition machines that need constant updating. They are reliable, user-friendly bikes that can be trusted for commuting and light touring. They're a bit big for beginner bikes (Nighthawk 250 and Ninja/EX 250 come to mind in that category), but fit the basic transportation sector quite well. The fact that they have been around for a long time is a plus: If they had major problems at the beginning, they've been ironed out; if they still have some minor problems then everyone knows what they are by now and how to fix them, and parts are available and trusted.

The Nighthawk 750 also fits this category, for those who can afford more and want something bigger...
Old 09-30-2001, 01:50 AM   #63
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: 51st State

I really don't know which will happen first: Europe allowing itself to be colonised by the United States, or Puerto Rico finally deciding on Statehood...

I don't think either will mean much to the state of motorcycling today...
Old 09-30-2001, 01:56 AM   #64
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: Maybe Yamaha wants to "wait and see"

"Wait And See" is as dangerous a strategy as "Charge Right In", especially if they wait too long. It seems to me that Yamaha is going to "wait and see" Honda and Kawasaki hold on to a market it could have made inroads into if it had released the FJR1300 this year...
Old 09-30-2001, 02:02 AM   #65
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: 2001 Milan Show

If Suzuki were to put hard bags, a full fairing, and the GS-G shaft drive system on the Bandit 1200, they would end up with a good, inexpensive dresser with which to battle the Voyager. This would force Kawasaki to upgrade the Voyager (better suspension and brakes), which would be good for people who want new dressers but can't (or don't want to) pay GoldWing/Electra Glide/K1200LT prices...
Old 09-30-2001, 02:18 PM   #66
starvingstudent
Founding Member

> Apart from being old designs, is there anything specific that needs to be addressed with the EX500 and the GS500E?

Yes, their looks. No 20-year-old wants a new bike that looks like it was built in 1990. That's why the SV is doing so well--it looks good to the target audience. Call people shallow, but nobody wants to ride a bike that they think is ugly.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2001, 02:21 PM   #67
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: 2001 Milan Show

Ah, who cares. Nobody compares a Triumph Bonneville to a Pontiac Bonneville, or a Triumph Thunderbird to a Ford Thunderbird.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 05:33 AM   #68
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Another difference...

Honda (and the other big 4) already had strong dealer networks established from selling gobs of the tiddlers when they decided to take on the big boys. Hyosung would start with neither a strong dealer network nor a legendary marque for showroom lures. It would take them quite a few years to get a foothold, which would give others plenty of time to "prepare for battle" as you put it. And now that H-D could hardly accuse them of being an eminent threat to their survival, Honda is free to engage in dumping again, especially if the only victim of it would be another Asian company. Translated into today's dollars similar to what you could get in the early 80's at the "height of dumping" that would mean liter-class sport bikes for ~$5000-$6000. Hey, bring it on!!!

IMO they'd be about as much threat to Honda as Kia is to Toyota, and could just as easily go the way of Diahatsu even if they have a decent product at a value price.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 05:58 AM   #69
hardrivn
Founding Member

The updates needed on the GS500 and EX500 include suspension, braking and engine the frame. The styling is not that important to me, as they look fine. What excites me about the Hyosung is the fact that it would seem like a cheap ideal track bike similar to the SV650 but about $1000 less with possibly a much better suspension. Lets see SV650 approx $5500, suspension upgrades, another $500 to $1000 depending on what you do, just makes something like the comet all the more appealing as long as reliability is not a factor and the suspension lives up to its appearances.

Actually what I look for in a track bike would be suited very well with an EX500 with the suspension from the Ninja series bikes Since I am happy with an engine that is powerful enough to get me up to and maintaining maximum corner velocity and I don't care that much about going 160+ on the straights.
hardrivn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 07:29 AM   #70
Philbiker
Founding Member

Default LOL!!!

LOL hilarious!
Philbiker is offline   Reply With Quote