Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-27-2001, 11:40 AM   #51
TrumpetSprint
Founding Member

Default Re: 2001 Milan Show

Maybe you have to be of a certain age to appreciate it. Kind of like a modern Manx (hence the certain age).

I like it.
TrumpetSprint is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-27-2001, 02:03 PM   #52
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Comet

I can't find any statistics on it, but it doesn't look any smaller physically than a GS500 or EX500.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 07:34 AM   #53
mbmers
Founding Member

Default Is BMW afraid of KTM?

I have been following with interest KTM's development of the LC-8 motor. This lightweight and powerful v-twin is to debut in a large dual purpose / adventure touring bike called "ADVENTURE".

I could hardly believe it when I read that BMW had picked the same name for their new two wheeled Hummer shown in this article.

mbmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 10:39 AM   #54
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Chances are.... The "Comet" motorcycle won't be preasurized, nor will it have square windows.
Old 09-28-2001, 10:40 AM   #55
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

I may know a little about history, but I sure as hell can't spell.
Old 09-28-2001, 12:15 PM   #56
panthercity
Founding Member

Default Re: Maybe Yamaha wants to "wait and see"

Ahhh, that explains it! On my paralever R1100RS, I use the cyliner head guards for mid corner corrections...

;^)
panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2001, 02:02 AM   #57
BigGit
Founding Member

If "modern" = "big & ugly" then it IS a "modern Manx"!

If this is the resurrection, then please let the Manx rest in peace. "Pet Semetary" comes to mind...
BigGit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2001, 02:09 AM   #58
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: Comets

OTOH, the Mercury Comet was O.K. ...

If the deHavilland Comet didn't have those window problems, do you think the U.K. might still be the leaders in world avaition, instead of getting overtaken by the Americans (particularly Boeing & McDonnell Douglas)?

Then there's a Norwegian moped, the Tempo Comet. No longer in production.
Old 09-30-2001, 02:19 AM   #59
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: Huge New Scooters

There is still an objective problem. It's called price. According to the MSRP, a Nighthawk 750 costs less than the current SilverWing, and probably still would after some saddlebags are put on it.

Having said that, I am currently fighting the 'flu after riding to work in the pouring rain yesterday, so I for one would appreciate the weather protection of a large scooter; then again, my bike (1988 CM200T) is smaller than a Helix...
Old 09-30-2001, 02:29 AM   #60
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: Hyosung... the new Honda?

Back in the early '60s, H-D and the British were having a good larf at Honda's little tiddlers, even though they were putting British tiddlers (Greeves, etc.) out of business.

Then came the CB450. The laughing stopped, replaced by smug smiles when the old Allies comfored themselves with the thought that they were safe in the big bike market.

CB750. Britain knocked for 6. Nothing left but to wait for the inevitable, which came in the late 70's / early 80's. H-D eventually recovered, but only after about 20 years of purgatory...

This is not exactly the deal here. The bikes of Japan Inc. are solid, high-quality bikes, unlike Britbikes of the '60s. But if the Hyosung Comet even comes close to the Bandit or SV650 in terms of comfort, handling and/or build quality at a lower price, then Japan had better prepare for battle...