Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   2001 Milan Show (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/859-2001-milan-show.html)

szentthomas 09-26-2001 03:28 AM

Re: 2001 Milan Show

I agree. Please Aprilia bring it over just like it is.

pplassm 09-26-2001 03:28 AM

What?

No new dirt bikes?

Pete P.

NickdaBrick 09-26-2001 03:51 AM

Huge New Scooters

I kind of like the huge new scooters (Silver Wing, Burgman 650, Aprilia Atlantic 500). They look like ideal commuter bikes; comfortable, convenient, fun, and fast enough to blow by the cars. You guys should do at least do a full test of the Silver Wing.

As for the Blue Marlin? Throw it back.

Patrick-of-the-Hills 09-26-2001 06:00 AM

Re: Huge New Scooters

How long before we get an Open-class scooter? (Oh, forgot: Gold Wing.) Now that they've gotten to the point where they're highway-capable and I don't have any more objective problems, I guess I have to admit it: Emotions rule. I still think they look twerpy, and you'll never get me off of a real motorcycle to have one.

And as someone who laments the disappearance of the original Speed Triple, the Blue Marlin (head-scratcher of a name aside) sounds thrilling. Maybe it looks a little odd, but I bet it'll be a rush to ride.

12er 09-26-2001 06:02 AM

Re: Huge New Scooters

Dont like the marlin, bummer. I think its pretty cool and looks better than the ducati MH900e... Looks like one hell of a hooligan bike. Wheelies anyone?

Philbiker 09-26-2001 06:24 AM

Maybe Yamaha wants to "wait and see"

Maybe Yamaha wants to "wait and see" with the FJR1300. See how the new Honda and Kawasaki sport tourers do. Though the Honda, like the old ST1100, is practically a GoldWing IMO, the Kawasaki at least has a chain for those midcorner corrections. The two bikes are very interesting, targeting different segments within the particular ST niche.

I predict strong sales for both, followed by entry of Yamaha next year, which will have dissapointing sales due to the fact that the customers already have new bikes.

Yamaha remembers the GTS fiasco. That bike was an amazing sport tourer but they lost a lot of money on it.

Philbiker 09-26-2001 06:30 AM

So true LOL!

THe V-Strom is fricking hideous as hell anyway.

jwgrantism 09-26-2001 06:33 AM

Ducati released the Multistrada - an adventure bike based on a revised air cooled motor. Yet you failed to mention it. I'm not a fan of big on-off road machines but I am excited about updates to the air cooled motor, i.e. reduced included valve angle, etc. I think that this motor would go nice into a monster ... I can see it now, a new air cooled monster with the styling of the limited edition foggy s4 !!!

tbuse 09-26-2001 06:40 AM

I really like the look of the Gilera. It looks like the bike is snarling at the world. However, I don't know if I really want to ride a bike that appears to have a bullseye painted on the side.

Philbiker 09-26-2001 06:41 AM

Answers.

>>Kawa is finally coming out with something of a sports-tourer besides the ancient Concours and it doesn't have FI...? It's hard to see much difference between the two. Are they going to have both in the line-up? >Honda has an ST1300 but, we don't get to see it for another year, maybe. Hey, maybe I can finally afford an ST1100 when they sell them at firesale prices...yeah, right! >>Why doesn't Yama'ma bring that sports-tourer to the U.S.? >>For that matter, how come Suzuki doesn't even bother with sports-tourers? >How's Triumph ever going to sell those Trophy 1200's, when they could barely compete up 'till now? >>At least the Sprint ST is getting even better... >>>Can you tell I'm looking for a sports tourer but I can't make up my mind? 'Thought so! ;^)<<<<

Yes! :-) My only advice is don't be afraid of a chain on a sport touring bike. It's not a problem, they're easy to maintain. I've got 45K+ on my GPZ including MANY multi-thousand mile weeks on the road and the chain has never been a nuisance once. (well - once but that was the shops fault). And the engine (similar to that in the new ZZR) has been bulletproof and incredibly stong, even with the bike FULLY LOADED.