Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-23-2001, 02:22 PM   #81
chucker6
Registered Member

Default Re: Competition with SV650

minime,

What's your perspective on why Honda doesn't sell the improved Superhawk VTR1000 in the US? Almost everyone complains about the inadequate fuel tank capacity on the US version, which was improved on the rest of the world version in 2001.
chucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-23-2001, 02:24 PM   #82
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Modern "cookie cutter" designs

Whether you like their styling or not, it's unfair to say that "modern bikes have no styling." The following modern bikes I find both attractive and "cool": SV650, R1150R, 919, Monster, Pegaso, Falco, Raptor, Superhawk. Plenty of other people in my generation find the F4i or the R6 to be "very sexy"--so I'd say they ARE styled to look good (to a certain audience).

If you are like my dad and still believe that 60's-70's motorcycle fashion is proper fashion, great. Buy retro bikes. But not all riders were around in the 60s, and even among those who were, not all want to keep that look for the rest of their lives. Some people will always lust after the look of the Triumph Bonneville, and some people will always wear bellbottoms. But fashion, both bikewise and clotheswise, has moved on for 90% of the population.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 02:51 PM   #83
chucker6
Registered Member

Default Re: 919 over S4? People still read tank badges.

Some of us just flat prefer twins over inline 4 cylinder bikes, Japanese, Italian or German. Honda seems to be intentionally compromising VTR1000 sales here by not importing the improved version that everyone else in the world got last year.
chucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 04:26 PM   #84
sanchin
Registered Member

Default Re: Year 2002 Honda reader feedback

Major disappointment ! I sold my sportbike this year and have been contently riding my old Nighthawk waiting to see what Honda would do about a new standard. I was hoping for something with the VTR engine and a small fairing like the FZ or Bandit. They could build one that would be 450 lbs or so, and it would be quite a performer. The Hornet is wicked expensive for what you get. I guess I'll be going into my local Yamaha and Suzuki dealers to see who can give me the best deal on an FZ or Bandit 1200. Sorry Honda.
sanchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 05:43 PM   #85
yamaridder
Founding Member

I think the 919 (ala Hornet ? or Streetfighter ? in Europe) is about that weight and I saw a 7900 price tag on the web..I'd recheck it before blowing it!
yamaridder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 06:22 PM   #86
blackvalkster
Founding Member

Default Re: HONDA NEEDS SMALLER DO-IT-ALL BIKES

Oh, Honda has all these bikes and more, just not

in the US! We only get what some 'Marketing

Consultant' says we'll buy, while the rest of the

world and Europe get all the bikes! Like all the

600 sized fun bikes and half a dozen big enduros!!

I guess bikes are serious stuff in England and

just toys over here?
blackvalkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 07:15 PM   #87
boxjoint
Founding Member

Default Re: Oh, one other thing...

Again, Just bustin'. I am in no way trying to insult you. If it makes you feel any better, my proper handle should be "Starving college dropout who now works at a factory and does woodworking on the side just to be able to afford a stinking ZRX", instead of Boxjoint.
boxjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 08:03 PM   #88
aminalmutha
Founding Member

Default Re: You

Poopoo power might be interesting. Certainly cheaper than gasoline, if you can get methane extraction process to be cheap and simple. Might be a bummer having to wear nose plugs, though. What would be worse... smog or a perpetual fart smell lingering in the air? As far as Beryllium, that'd be pretty damn cool, except that it's toxic. I'm sure they could make manufacturing processes safe, but it's also very expensive. I would definitely like to see more ceramics used in engines (I think the R6 has ceramic cylinder liners tho). Titanium rods, valves, valve springs, exhaust would be cool. Hell, how 'bout camless (and I'm not talking 2 strokes)? May happen eventually. How 'bout a carbon fiber w/ aluminum honeycomb core chassis? Maybe for racing. Definitely big drawbacks in a street bike. I think I'm rambling now. Anyhoo... Honda, let's see some F1 technology in your bikes.
aminalmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 08:23 PM   #89
boxjoint
Founding Member

Default By the way,

I sold your perfect bike in 95'. I had a red Bandit 400, it was my first bike. That thing was a little screamer and was purchased for $3400.00 brand new. I used to ride with a guy who had a 91' FZR600 piped, jetted, and bored; he still couldent loose me on the B400.
boxjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 09:30 PM   #90
RWUB
Founding Member

I am more than willing to sacrifice a little beauty for some function (wind protection on long rides). Being that there seems to be comfort built in on this bike, it wouldn't make sense to not be able to ride it for more than 15 minutes without getting tired, sore and windburnt. Which would make any length of touring impossible for a bike that seems more than capable. I agree that a bikini fairing in the vein of the ZRX would be the way to go though. As long as it functionally blocks out the wind.
RWUB is offline   Reply With Quote