Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-23-2001, 11:18 AM   #71
HyperBusa
Founding Member

Default Re: WOW.

You want cookie cutter designs then? Go vist any Suzuki dealer and look at the GSXRs. Talk about dime a dozen looks, being slammed out by the factory one after another. *yawn* I, for one, welcome all the new looks.
HyperBusa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-23-2001, 11:20 AM   #72
obiwanrazzy
Founding Member

Default Re: Year 2002 Honda reader feedback

Unlike most of the replies to this story, I'm actually pretty excited about the new Hondas. Especially the 919. I've been looking to upgrade my old Nighthawk, but there was no way I was going to get another (Drum brakes! Old-timey rear shocks! Air cooled!) and I really want more power. I had been looking at either a ZRX1200R or FZ1, but now it looks like Honda is back in the running. I'd really like to see a comparo with the 919, FZ1, Bandit, ZRX1200R, and (even tho it's not an I4) the Monster.
obiwanrazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 11:33 AM   #73
Dual__Exhaust
Founding Member

Default Re: The new VFR "weighs" in...

Just look at that exhaust. They could have made it out of paper-thin titanium and it would weigh 27 pounds more. I agree, and Honda has worked the magic before: [b] LIGHT IS RIGHT!!!
Dual__Exhaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 11:39 AM   #74
Dual__Exhaust
Founding Member

Default Re: Good Job Honda

CBR2000F Hurricane Turbo is what I had in mind.
Dual__Exhaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 11:39 AM   #75
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: Hey, Student!

My handle reflects me as much as yours reflects you (6'0" and closing on 300 lb. since I stopped riding the bicycle...) and I ride a 1988 Honda CM200T TwinStar. I do shift around quite a bit on long rides, and long mountain rides in particular make my backside hurt, but as an everyday ride the TwinStar is quite good.

One of the big reasons why they have not changed the Nighthawk 750 is that it is still a competent bike. H-D may have caught up with it now that they have the XL883R with triple discs and a dualseat, but it still outperformed the base XL883 in MO's last comparison of "reasonable" bikes, with a lower price, better performance, better braking, and a bulletproof engine (although the Sportster engine seems to be equally low-maintenance these days...), not to mention a standard dualseat. MO's beef with it was that they found it unexciting. Give me reliability and predictability over excitement any day!

Similarly, the EX500 and the GS500 are competent bikes; what more do they really need?

OTOH, a new CB350 or KZ400 would be nice...

One last note: I learned to ride on a 1983 Honda Nighthawk 450. So far, it is the biggest bike I have ever ridden.
BigGit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 12:19 PM   #76
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Smaller do-it-all bikes

Honda:

Nighthawk 250

Rebel 250

Shadow VLX (600)

XR650L

Nighthawk 750

Magna (750)

Shadow ACE 750 DeLuxe

Shadow Spirit 750

Kawasaki:

Super Sherpa (225, I think)

KLR250

Ninja (EX) 250

Ninja (EX) 500

Vulcan (EN) 500

W650

KLR650

ZR-7S (750)

Vulcan 750

Suzuki (the leaders in this area IMO):

GZ250

DR400S

GS500

Bandit 600S

DR650S

SV650/SV650S

Savage (650)

Yamaha (the biggest straggler in this area):

XT225 (I think I'll omit the BW200...)

Virago 250

V-Star Custom/Classic/Silverado (650)

MuZ

Panther (660)

Skorpion Tour/Traveller (660)

Buell

Blast (500)

BMW? Triumph? Any Italian bike? Excuse me while I larf. HD has the Sportster 883 and the XL883R, but they are a bit too big, too heavy and too expensive for this category. An XL883R for the price of a base XL883 would probably be the hot ticket, but...

My choices? I'd like to test-ride the Nighthawk 750, the Skorpions, the GS500, the Ninja 500, the W650 and the Super Sherpa.

Old 09-23-2001, 12:35 PM   #77
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: Modern "cookie cutter" designs

I think this may be the big reason why "retro" is so big in the bike world today. Modern bikes have no styling; race replicas are not styled to look good but to win races, although the 916/996 manages to do both.

Retro bikes try to recapture the days when bikes looked cool. HD has captured the look of old Harleys while Kawasaki seems to have captured other old looks: Britbikes (W650), UJMs (ZRX1200), and Indians (Drifters)

I like the modern UJMs (Bandit, Nighthawk, ZR-7s) and would probably like them better if they had the original UJM seats.
Old 09-23-2001, 01:06 PM   #78
RideOrDie
Founding Member

First, I am quite surprised the amount of reader feedback the 919 has received. Who would have known that after I crashed my 900RR I could have taken off the fairings and been the envy of so many people?

First, based on the boasted statistics I can only hope that I find the same performance increases that I did when purchasing my 929 over the 900; but for that I will have to wait till February.

Secondly, after Honda released the news of these bikes on the 20th and rumors had been either confirmed or shattered I was left with some desires that were not filled; namely RAM-air. I was lead through rumors as early as a month ago that the new 900 was going to be 955 F4i with about 150 horsepower. However, while I would love to have the RAM-air I never liked the 600 receiving the 900Â’s storage design and welcome the separations in appearance. Another wish was for the 900 to receive technology used within HondaÂ’s VTEC engines providing for more horsepower at the high end. The last wish was for the new 900 to return to dual low and high beam headlights (the use of single headlights for day and dual for night may pose as a better functional design but aesthetically the dual headlights make the bikes look better and helps differentiate the 900Â’s from the 600Â’s Â… at least they used to).

Lastly, there are some things that annoyed me on the 929 that I believe is worth mentioning and thanking Honda for changing:

The storage key location - It used to be above the license plate Â… making fender elimination a task and half. Now it is between the rider and passenger seats based on the pictures I have seen.

The elimination of the sticker used above the headlight -This large black sticker surface attracted ever rock kicked up to scar it and make obvious nicks.

The inclusion of stand roller mounts - It appears based on the pictures of the rear swing arm that you can now easily screw on rollers for rear stands. This also will eliminate the need for special stand brackets to compensate for the 929Â’s different height for each side of the swing arm.
RideOrDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 01:10 PM   #79
RideOrDie
Founding Member

I apologize but I edited out the second paragraph's first line which stated I was discussing the 954RR.
RideOrDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 01:30 PM   #80
cody
Founding Member

Default Re: 919 RWHP

motorcyclenews claims 110bhp and 67 ft-lbs.
cody is offline   Reply With Quote