Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Year 2002 Honda reader feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/852-year-2002-honda-reader-feedback.html)

jackbird 09-23-2001 07:42 AM

Red is the correct color especially for motorcycles

I had to paint my Blackbird red. After doing so, car drivers pulled out in front of me a lot less. I was heartened to see that the factory changed to red with subsequent models.

My thinking is, if Red Means Stop to even one out of a thousand of them, it's worth it.

My helmet, riding suit, and roadster are red though, so what could I know?

aminalmutha 09-23-2001 07:56 AM

Re: Year 2002 Honda reader feedback

No way, man, keep the 919 naked as can be. I think the nude Bandit looks much better than the S. Maybe a little teeny fairing, similar to the ZRX, but not that giant chunk o' plastic the Bandit S carries around. Well, I suppose some sort of fairing would be ok, as long as they kept the naked version.

starvingstudent 09-23-2001 08:12 AM

Re: Fantasy bikes? Here

I know I'm an impoverished-@ss-b*stard. I wouldn't have chosen my handle if I was ashamed to admit it. Hey, it's taken me three years of saving up money on the side to afford an SV (and that's after I sell my current bike, a Shadow 600), and SVs are hardly expensive ;-)

But if there were a lot of bikes available in the $4k-$6k range, then a) more high school and college students could ride, and b) people with new families, kids on the way, etc could still afford _something_ to ride.

I'd love to have a $14,000 flagship-type bike when I'm 38, but I'm still nine months away from legally buying beer ;-)

starvingstudent 09-23-2001 08:20 AM

Oh, one other thing...

The 50-65hp, 350-400lb bike appeals to me because I'm one hell of a runt. Five-foot-six, 120 lbs. The SV is on the bigger side of "just right" for me, and if I rode an FZ1 or VFR, I'd be dwarfed like a howler monkey riding a water buffalo.

yamaridder 09-23-2001 09:32 AM

Re: Anybody else think....

I think wrong....it looks like Honda will be in the best position overall (vs HD, Yamaha...) since they have the big stuff and the small stuff (both on and off road) not to mention the four wheelers..and dont forget even the big stuff can be a good price and fuel alternative to a car or pick up truck for the fourwheelers)....and sure the economy and stock market impact but not all of us are impacted by the market as much...I know I'm still buying a new bike this year... its who I am!

yamaridder 09-23-2001 09:38 AM

Re: HONDA NEEDS SMALLER DO-IT-ALL BIKES

None of the brands have a truely strong line up right now in this area (although I think based on their web sites that Honda actually has the biggest)...Suzuki SV and GV250 and Bandit600, Honda Nighthawk250/750, Rebel250 and Shadows, Yamaha Star650 and Kawasaki Ninja 250/500.....ever guess why...maybe that market is not that big...if you REALLY want what you say then there are many used bikes to choose from that came and went (because of sales) over the last 5 years.

yamaridder 09-23-2001 09:43 AM

Re: Oh, one other thing...

Do you ride at all or just whine?

yamaridder 09-23-2001 09:54 AM

Re: Good Job Honda

The new models look great. The new stuff impressed me but when I checked out their web site it becomes VERY clear that Honda has THE most comprehensive live up of street, dirt and 4-wheelers. Sure I'm reading comments about why no $5000 sport bike or CBR1800XX kinda of stuff, but think about it....NO BRAND ever has all bases covered. I glad Honda is bringing the selection of ALL types of models to this country...I appreciate it as a RIDER! God Bless America.

Anonymous_Squid 09-23-2001 10:00 AM

WOW.

Looking at the responses, I guess I was one of the very few who were "WOWed" by Honda's offerings. I think that they have seen the competition and come back charging. The evolution of the VFR continues, the replacement of the ST is a very good thing, and the introduction of the 919 is totally unexpected. These are all fantastic machines that make me want to get a second job to buy some new bikes.

-----------------------------------

The thing that troubles me, and it is not restricted to Honda, is the "ugly phase" that we are going through right now. With the exception of perhaps some of the new R1's and the Falco (maybe), I think that the new crop of bikes are ugly as sin. Futura is the lead of the barf squad, having set the angular precident for the entire industry. The VFR is an angular mess, the new Ducati Multistrada was beaten with an ugly stick, the 919 could look so very much better than it does, etc. etc.

This is not a good year. Think of how exciting the MV Augusta was a couple of years ago, The original R1's, or back even further (way back) to the Monster and 916 introductions. Where are the gorgeous bikes, except in the ancient design bin?

starvingstudent 09-23-2001 10:00 AM

Re: Oh, one other thing...

Woohoo! Baseless personal attacks?