Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-22-2001, 07:09 PM   #51
EP
Founding Member

Default Re: Where is the hot stuff under 750cc?

Go to Honda's model page and click on the '02 models. The resulting table shows all the new interesting stuff is above the 750cc size. The only interesting thing under this size is the 600F4i and the new silverwing scooter. Everything else is warmed over (Nighthawk) BS. The problem with this is that insurance companies tack on a crazy premium for sportbikes above 750cc. Suzuki has a number of interesting bikes under 750cc.

Take a VTR 1000, a CBR 954, an Interceptor 800 and a good old Hawk GT and stick them in the blender. Out should come a VTR750 with:

-Sophistocated CBR 954 inverted suspension.

-370 lb dry weight from the CBR.

-749cc 90 degree DOHC, 8 valve, fuel injected Twin.

-The comfort of the Interceptor.

-The instrumentation of the Interceptor.

-The single sided aluminum swingarm of the Interceptor and old Hawk GT.

-Half fairing like the VTR1000.

-Pretty chromed wheels like that NAS concept bike.

-No linked brakes or VTEC, thank you. It adds weight.

-2 or 3 color choices, please!

-$8,000 suggested retail.

I'd buy this fantasy bike in a heartbeat. This would give me maximum sportbike tech without the premium. Or Hell... Do a retro number and bring out an updated 1983 Interceptor 750 in Red, White and Blue colors (very trendy right now). Don't forget the retro 1983 pricing either!
EP is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-22-2001, 07:12 PM   #52
mce63
Founding Member

Default Honda does lines.

No, it's not you. Honda has taken edge design too far. This style will be outdated in a couple of years and then all those bikes will look old. This will be particularly problematic for the ST1300 because they will probably leave it unchanged for another decade.

As for the ST1300 being a station wagon of motorcycles... All station wagons are not created equal. There are some pretty decent sport wagons. I'd say the ST1300 will be like the Audi S4 Avant.
mce63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 08:33 PM   #53
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Fantasy bikes? Here's mine.

How about this: Take an XR650R engine and add proper counterbalancing to kill vibration. Hook it up to a street-oriented six-speed transmission. Put on 17" rims front and back. Re-do styling to a flat-track look or perhaps a modern standard look (SV or Borile 500, but NOT F650CS please!) and give it a seat height of 31.5". Make sure it weighs 350 lbs or less. Sell it for $5000 even, or maybe even $4500.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 08:57 PM   #54
thatguyjohn
Founding Member

Default Re: HONDA NEEDS SMALLER DO-IT-ALL BIKES

Good point about budget bikes. Why can't I get a $6000 bike that has motor, frame and brakes. Then I can fiddle with the suspension and the seat/bars/tires to make it what I want. I'm not saying go back to the UJM, but what's wrong with a do it all?? I know they don't have much personality, but after I put my personal touches to iron out the bugs I'll have a bike that is more a part of me, becaues I helped build it. Until someone figures that out I'm gonna keep making a killing buying up UJM's, making them into streetfighters/cafe racers, and selling them at a profit. Long live the UJM!!!!!
thatguyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 10:24 PM   #55
RWUB
Founding Member

Default Re: Year 2002 Honda reader feedback

How about a half or bikini faired version of the 919. One can even get the bandit in "S" form. Then the Honda would be pretty close to the perfect bike and more than ample competition to the FZ1 and ZRX1200R, not to mention a few more "exotic" nameplates.
RWUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 11:12 PM   #56
boxjoint
Founding Member

Default Re: Fantasy bikes? Here

Dammn! After reading all of your posts (which happen to be the most entertaining) you really must be a starving student! bikes over 6k are no good. Don't get me wrong, I'm no Malcom Forbes, but Dammn!

Ps. Please dont take offense, just funnin' ya' son!
boxjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 05:53 AM   #57
jackbird
Founding Member

Default New technology cuts retail price to $3307.09

Injection molding powdered metal technology as now used for jet turbine blades will turn manufacturing parts out of titanium as cheap as making them out of plastic.

Stubby winglets front and rear will add stability and control at speed, otherwise it will resemble the XX except it will be red.

There will be added to that model line a larger winged version that can achieve sustained flight, but you'll need at least the soon-to-be Sport Pilot license to operate it, and that model will cost over $4000.
jackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 06:00 AM   #58
aminalmutha
Founding Member

Default Re: What Honda could make that would get me off my XX

Replacing all the metal in the bike w/ titanium would probably actually make the bike heavier. Titanium is more dense than aluminum and has approximately the same specific stiffness. Aluminum can have more geometric stiffness since it is less dense, depending on how the part is designed, of course. Titanium has it's applications, but not for everything.
aminalmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 08:03 AM   #59
jackbird
Founding Member

Default You're right of course! Different metal powder mix for each

More titanium for the stressed parts of the engine. Mix in lithium or beryllium powders for the stuff we can lighten. Maybe ceramic or polymer beads in the mix would add desireable properties. Endless possibilities...

How about... ...a biomass energy driven motorcycle? Just sit on it and on it, then the methane driven motor will run you to work. Poop Power! The very next wave.
Old 09-23-2001, 08:10 AM   #60
jackbird
Founding Member

Default Hey! They pulled the word S*** (means poop) out of my post!

I noticed that once before. There's an AUTOMATIC WORD EDITOR on this site. Last time it took away a word that was only close to something that might be in some context dirty. This is out of hand.