Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-22-2001, 09:15 AM   #31
jackbird
Founding Member

Default What Honda could make that would get me off my XX

A 1.5 liter counterbalanced transverse four making 220+ rear wheel horsepower in a package that weighs 350 pounds all up due to replacement of all metal in the bike with titanium.

I want a quantum increase in power, cornering ability, and refinement over my 97 birdie which is my favorite bike so far.

Actually I'm glad they're still in business. There's a banking crisis about to envelop Japan which may reduce our motorcycle purchase choices; I wish them the best. Ride Safe and Happy, Folks!
jackbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-22-2001, 09:22 AM   #32
sculptor666
Founding Member

Default Re: Competition with SV650

SV650's are a hard sell at every suzuki dealer around, espcially the s model. both are sellng under $5000 mark. why would honda be interested? superhawks are a hard sell too, so are the XX's. i've seen B12's for under $6000 too, and FZ1's for $7500. every dealer i've talked to said naked bike are way too hard to sell, americans want supersports or cruisers, and not much in between. even zx-9r's (too comfortable for many an ego) are going for $7599... meanwhile gsxr's and R6's are flying out the door.
sculptor666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 09:31 AM   #33
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Competition with SV650

It must be the difference in location. In Boulder (my summer home), CO (120,000 people; 30,000 college students) dealers can't keep SVs on the sales floor. The SV and the F4i are the two best-selling models this year in Boulder.

On the other hand, in the Boston area (my school year home), the students still buy a lot of SVs and F4s, but the rest of the city just buys Harleys.

I suspect that in cities without large college student populations, SVs don't sell well at at all.

Where are you located? I was looking to buy an SV next spring, and I would LOVE to pay $4999 instead of $5799.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 09:31 AM   #34
Gonadius
Founding Member

Default Re: I'm impressed

Yes, the 919 Hornet has got some definite possibilities, especially at only 427 pounds. It should make a great wheeliemeister. Hopefully Honda did their homework and nailed the FI and handling.

Am I to understand that it will only be available in flat black in the US? Yuck! I better dust off that spray gun...
Gonadius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 09:34 AM   #35
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: What Honda could make that would get me off my XX

Very well sir, that titanium masterpiece will cost you about $300,000. Cash or financing?
Old 09-22-2001, 09:43 AM   #36
DialedIN
Founding Member

Default Re: Silverwing

They made a Silverwing 650 transverse twin in 1983 not sure about any other year models in 650 but I have a 1983 in my garage of my brothers. I fire it up every once in a while and ride it when I feel like an old man. Its a nice bike, just alittle buzzy at faster speeds.
DialedIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 11:55 AM   #37
yamaridder
Founding Member

Default Re: Year 2002 Honda reader feedback

I am very impressed. My dealer just got back from getting all info and the stuff is great. I think Hondas new models are awesome vs the HD (significant but only 1 model), Yamaha (new R1...come on) and Kawasaki (ho hum)...Honda: Turbo PWC, VTEC VFR, ST1300, 954, 919, a huge scooter (600?)...2 new VTX (I think one was a 1300cc)....plus the dealer had pictures and specs on a new 650 ATV, 2 new dirt bikes and more. I'm going to put money down on a 919...very cool.
yamaridder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 12:14 PM   #38
DJS
Founding Member

Default 919 RWHP

The one statistic that I am dying to hear is what kind of power the 919 pumps out. I understand re-tuned but it still should be close to triple digit horsies. It is the bike I want to replace my magna. Magna is cool but handling and brakes leave a lot to be desired. Plus I am tired of polishing chrome, I want to ride!

Anybody know how much power Honda is claiming for the 919 including torque numbers?

David

DJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 12:47 PM   #39
theDuke
Founding Member

Default Re: Year 2002 Honda reader feedback

The 919 looks great... what's with the trend toward flat black paint, though? Does anyone have a bike with this finish (Ducati or Moto Guzzi come to mind)?

My gut reaction is that I don't think this finish will age well and that it looks a bit unfinished. On the other hand, who gives a flying fig, I'd still take a Monster or 919 in any color. At least with this starting point I won't feel bad about having a new bike re-painted.
theDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 01:24 PM   #40
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: 919 RWHP

I've heard horsepower figures of 108 for the 919, but I don't know whether that's crankshaft or rear-wheel. No idea on torque.