Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-21-2001, 06:47 PM   #11
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default 919 over S4? People still read tank badges.

The 919 will never overcome the S4, and not because it's an inferior bike. There's always the "character" types, the "history" types, the "visceral feel" types, and unfortunately, the "I don't buy Japanese" types. If it wasn't for those crowds, Harley would have gotten slaughtered in the Evolution days by Vulcans and Shadows. Instead, they're raking in record profits.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-21-2001, 06:52 PM   #12
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Silverwing

"What does this thing have in common with a Wing apart it's name."

More importantly, what does it the current model have to do with the 650cc transverse-VTwin that first wore the Silverwing name? That made sense; it was a smaller touring motorcycle. Calling a scooter a Silverwing makes as much sense as calling a twin-cylinder Shadow a "Sabre."

Maybe they should rename the CBR1100XX the "SuperCub" while they're at it. Or maybe rename the Rebel 250 the "Hurricane." It makes about as much sense as the other decisions.
Old 09-21-2001, 06:56 PM   #13
Shaft
Founding Member

Default Re: Year 2002 Honda reader feedback

Right on! AND make a VFR 1000.... I can't believe Honda's poor showing. Oh well. Yamaha is starting to look good.
Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2001, 07:14 PM   #14
HyperBusa
Founding Member

Default Disappointed

I really only cared about 1 bike in Honda's '02 lineup...the new VFR. Could it have killed them to offer it to use in TWO colors? No, we get red...again. Pffft! Not to mention stripping of the VFR and V4 V-TEC monickers. I could live with a totally new design, even with the same 800 ccs. But make mine silver please!!!!

I do think the '02 1100XX in silver is STUNNING tho!
HyperBusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2001, 07:53 PM   #15
Seikima_II
Founding Member

Disappointment galore. Where did Honda go wrong? I'm sick of sport bikes. I'm sick of big V-twin cruisers. What I really want is an 1100cc to 1300cc V-four shaft-drive 150hp POWER Cruiser. Something that takes a squid on a Ninja by suprise, and leaves them eating exhaust fumes. An 1100cc Magna would be awesome. In fact, bringing back the 83-86 V65 Magna, adding some chrome, anti-lock brakes, fuel injection, undercut transmission, and radial tires is my idea of a dream come true.

I am so sick of lumpy loud V-twin Harley-wannabees. The technology is ANCIENT. Honda has proved time and time again (in the past) that they CAN innovate. In this day and age, they just choose not to take any risks. Rebuild and modify the current line up, squeeze a few more ponies, and that's it. I want to see some radical new designs. I want something that entices me to get rid of my old 84 VF1100C V65 Magna... but it's currently the fastest and best preforming cruiser in the world. 18 years later and Honda still hasn't made anything worthy of the V65 Magna's legacy.

Charles.

(not an anonymous squid)

Seikima_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2001, 07:55 PM   #16
Grady
Founding Member

It's too bad that only gave us the same old red for the Interceptor rather than letting us have a choice like the attractive silver available in Europe.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2001, 08:12 PM   #17
MrSpucial
Founding Member

Default Zzzzz...Wake me up for something new...

Can't really blame honda for not releasing anything ground breaking, even though that new SPS-2 color scheme is nice. Hey Honda any day you want to put the blackbird on top of the MPH list, we're here waiting. For now I'll go off and stare at the new Gilera and R1......
MrSpucial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2001, 08:36 PM   #18
Patrick-of-the-Hills
Founding Member

Default Re: HONDA NEEDS SMALLER DO-IT-ALL BIKES

Whoa! Yes! Thank you, thank you, thank you! (FINALLY someone agrees with me on this.)

I completely missed the everyday/everything bikes that Honda used to make, unless you count the overpriced and undersold but dearly beautiful CB-1, and even that was going away just as my interest was aborning. Why no four-cylinder CB400? Why no popular-in-Europe CB500? What's the deal here? Motorcycles are transportation, not hobbies or ego boosters. Give Americans a good solid bike to learn on and ride for the first year or so, and they'll keep this up for life.

(Side thought: Provided you have a local dealer, there's always MuZ to consider, which makes me wonder why Yamaha doesn't have much of an entry range either, but that's a different rant.)
Patrick-of-the-Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2001, 08:42 PM   #19
Patrick-of-the-Hills
Founding Member

Oh, while I'm at it: The only reason the CB1000 didn't sell well five or six years ago is because it looked like a water buffalo. As a bold prediction, I'll go on record as saying that Honda isn't going to able to build enough 919s. (Although I wish they could have come up with another color besides "asphalt.")
Patrick-of-the-Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2001, 08:58 PM   #20
starvingstudent
Founding Member

"Motorcycles are transportation, not hobbies or ego boosters."

For me, motorcycling is primarily a hobby. But I can have a LOT of fun on a 600cc 55hp machine, and it's a LOT easier on the pocketbook than some glittering flagship-of-the-model-line. Not everybody rides coast-to-coast or does track days. For day-riders like myself, a lightweight peppy bike can be more fun than a dislocate-your-shoulders 1400cc musclebike or ultra-focused 1000cc track machine.

Remember the Borille 500? MO did a test of it. If Honda made a bike like that for $4999, you'd have one customer right here. I couldn't care less what they do with their VFR or Goldwing.