Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-14-2001, 04:39 PM   #181
Seikima_II
Founding Member

Default Re: One syllable: VALK.

The Valk is a nice bike, but the V65 will spank it and good. What I want is actually a bike that handles like a V65, has the accelleration of a V65, the fuel mileage of a V65, and the seating accomodations of a Corbin. Good damn thing I have everything I want =P But it would always be nice to have MORE of a good thing. A year 2002 V65 (or better yet, V75 or V85), with a little more horsepower, a wider rear wheel, a nice seat, chromed engine cases, undercut gears, and cartridge emulators would be perfect. Hell, even if they just brought out a bike identical to my 1984 V65 Magna, I'd be the first man in the showroom with a check in my hands -- no matter what the cost.

Charles.

Seikima_II is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-14-2001, 04:47 PM   #182
Seikima_II
Founding Member

Default Re: Year 2002 Honda reader feedback

Obviously, you've never ridden a V65. While the suspension is not that of say, a Busa, the V65 Magna is no slouch. It has basically the same suspension as the sport-tourer V65 Sabre. Anti-dive front forks with adjustable air pressure, and a HUGE ground clearance. I ride mostly with sportbikes, and the turns are not a challenge - especially with radial tires. Stopping is a different story, of course.

And as for cruisers sucking... well, I'll be laughing my ass off at anyone who tries to ride from NC to Sturgis on a crotch rocket. I have the best of both worlds. The power of a sportbike, the comfort of a cruiser, and handling somewhere in-between.

Charles.

Old 11-14-2001, 04:54 PM   #183
Seikima_II
Founding Member

Default Re: Silverwing

The CX and GL-650's were ONLY made in 1983. The V45 Magna debuted in 1982, and the V65 in 1983, and that was the end of that line of motorcycles. The CX500 (cruiser or standard style with a 500cc twin just like the 650) began life in 1978. There was also a Turbocharged CX500T and CX650T. The CX500T was the first supercharged production motorcycle in the world, and it's still pretty quick today.

I don't supposed you'd be looking to sell it that Silverwing, would you? Is it full dress or naked? Where are you located? Please drop me an email if you're interested. Seikima_II@hotmail.com

Charles.
Old 11-16-2001, 09:14 PM   #184
RWUB
Founding Member

Default Re: 2002 Magna vs ACE750

Stick with the A.C.E. as I personally think it is styled better with its sweet classic look, it has the much sought after V-Twin character, and will be less overwhelming for you due to the fact that it has more of it's power down low in the rev range and less of a hit on top. The Magna's motor is based on, and very similar to the Interceptor of two model redesigns ago.

Not to mention, twins are more inexpensive to insure than four cylinders which should ease the pain on your pocketbook.

Ride Safe
RWUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 05:47 AM   #185
Pinowino
Founding Member

Default Re: I'm impressed - Why?

Hello Guys,

I guess this will come as a dissapointment to most Honda lovers out there, but I allready rode the European version of the 919 (CB900 in Europe) and it was a major dissapointment to me. I liked the looks of the bike from the moment I first saw it, but after riding it, the enthousiasm was gone with the wind.

The steeing is quick -no doubt about that- but it doesn't feel stable and doesn't give the confidence neccessary to take it to its limit. A shame for this type of bike, because this should be one of the strong points... Not funny!

Neither does the 'powerplant' show its teeth in a way you might expect from an ex-Blade engine. It feels as if some horses have fallen asleep over there, certainly when you put the Honda aside the mad Yam Fazer 1000 (FZ-1 in US?) or aside the Cagiva Raptor 1000 (2 cylinder!). These bikes make the Honda look a little underpowered, not only in acceleration but also when you put them aside each other in second gear and pull the throttle right open. Not funny at all!

But the major dissappointment to me, was the utterly stupid riding position. At speeds above 150 Kph (not even 100 Mph), you feel as a flag on a post. This gives the CB a far smaller potential than some other bikes in this class, especially when you want to use this bike every day.

I admit the price is lower than the pricetags of most of his rivals, but the 919 lacks a few things too! For example, you can't play with the settings of the suspensions, because there's nothing to play with (shame on you, Honda!) The 919 also lacks at centre stand, which is a pain in the ass when you want to do some maintenance yourself.

Conclusion:

The 919 has its qualities but doesn't offer anything stunning or new. You can have some fun with this bike, but it can't match the fierce competition when it comes to performance. When you spend A FEW bucks more, you can by bikes which have a lot more to offer than the 919... Big Red? Small Red, if you ask me!

Pinowino
Pinowino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 06:00 AM   #186
Pinowino
Founding Member

Default Re: 919 RWHP - Way too little!

I work for a European Motor magazine, and we allready had the 919 in for a test...

Especially the power and torque were a complete disapointment. Honda Europe claims the 919 delivers about 110 bhp (cranckshaft!) at 9.000 opm and 92 Nm torque at 6.500 opm. I wish I could believe them, but I think that's a very optimistic measurement...

When we put it up against Yamaha's Fazer 1000 (FZ-1 in US I believe...), it was as if the Honda wasn't moving at all. In every gear, at every speed the Honda got his ass kicked. Not a bit, but really hard. The other problem is the power is hardly usable on the 919 because it lacks even the tiniest bit of protection against the wind, which makes it a drag to ride at speed above 150 kph (which is still less than 100 mph!).

The only real selling arguments are the looks of the bike, and the democratic price of it... Altough, it doesn't come with a high-tec suspension and some other neat stuff wich is on the more expensive -and better- bikes. When you got enough money, buy something else I'd say... Harsh but true!

The P
Old 02-09-2002, 06:07 AM   #187
Pinowino
Founding Member

Default Big Red

Ever wondered why Honda call itself BIG RED?!?
Old 02-09-2002, 06:10 AM   #188
Pinowino
Founding Member

Nine One Nine... Noooooooohooooooo!!!

Consider this bike as a major contender for the title of 'Dog of the Year'!! And wait till you ride it...
Old 02-09-2002, 06:17 AM   #189
Pinowino
Founding Member

I think your doctor misplaced his order!
Old 02-09-2002, 06:20 AM   #190
Pinowino
Founding Member

Default Re: 919 is ugly and not in the right way

Why don't you try a yamaha Fazer 1000 (I believe it's called FZ-1 in the US)?

143 bhp, 106 Nm and just a bikini-fairing! A wet dream on two wheels, only the looks need some customising...