Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-26-2001, 08:26 PM   #141
aminalmutha
Founding Member

Default Re: Purty

Nahhh, this is more of a hooligan bike. I don't see a whole lot of soft bags on streetfigher-type bikes, and besides, Honda says it's ok to do so since the mufflers are somewhat insulated. The beauty of these types of bikes is that you're not hauling around a bunch of plastic, so the fuzz pays less attention to you. Other riders are also less likely to mistake you for a squid. But, with good usable power, good brakes and decent handling, you have a great canyon carver, commuter, and general all around fun bike. And with that SUPER DOPE exhaust, you'll never scrape it. I bet a couple carbon cans under that tail would look great, and I ususally am not much for carbon exhaust. The really cool thing about the 919 is that it's as naked as can be. You can hardly see any frame at all. It's like riding a motor with wheels. You might think it's ugly, but it sure looks like a grin machine to me.
aminalmutha is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2001, 11:58 PM   #142
unyalli
Founding Member

Default Re: Year 2002 Honda reader feedback

Boy did you miss the point. Go run down your lost road pal and stay off this one. End of story.
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 07:49 AM   #143
Philbiker
Founding Member

Default Different strokes! :-)

Great reply . However, I still think the bike is ugly as a 500 lb bikini model. If you like the hidden frame engine on wheels concept I'm guessing you also like the Yamaha V-Max and Kawasaki ZXR1200 huh?
Philbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 11:08 AM   #144
slowburner_1
Founding Member

1. I like the thing Honda has going with the pipes on the VFR and the 919. It's way cool.

2. The "choice" of colors for the ST, VFR, and 919 sucks. No doubt it solves some marketing problems for Honda, but for the rest of us, it sucks.

3. Styling sometimes takes a while to grow on you. Don't be hypercritical because this year's bikes don't look the same as the last bike you fell in love with. Look at more than one picture; look at it for a while, let the lines sink in; it sometimes takes a while to "see" what the engineers were trying to achieve.

4. I think the 919 *is* the new Nighthawk; I'm surprised they don't call it that. If Honda did freshen up their trusty Nighhawk 750, would the result be any different from this 919? Look at the bikes, and think about it. The easiest way to get more power out of a 750 is to swap it for a 900. Other than the displacement, this bike obviously fills the same role.

5. Honda is neglecting the midsize market. I can't believe this is an oversight, but it's inexplicable to me. They still don't have anything to compete with the likes of Suzi's SV 650, which, incidently, will probably be my next bike. AND it even comes in more than one color. =)
slowburner_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 08:16 PM   #145
thatguyjohn
Founding Member

Default Re: Smaller do-it-all bikes

Ducati has the Monster 600 and the Monster 750 in several versions.
thatguyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 01:41 PM   #146
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: Different strokes! :-)

Yes.
BigGit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 01:55 PM   #147
BigGit
Founding Member

1. I don't think that exhaust treatment is cool in any sense of the word. It looks like it'll give the term "toasted buns" a whole new meaning. YOW!

2. No comment.

3. "Simplicate and add more lightness." - W.B. Stout

"Less is more." - Robert Browning/Mies van der Rohe

"Simplicity in human scale" - Kevin Cameron.

"Keep It Simple, Stupid!" - U.S. Army

These are good guidelines for styling IMHO.

4. Please get real! A 919 is a sportbike without plastic. A Nighthawk 750 is for people who live on their bikes the way cagers live in their cars. And the 919 can't call it the new Nighthawk because people are still buying the old one new. If I could afford one, I'd be one of them...

5. Yep, IMO Honda needs to make a SV650 challenger AND a EX500/GS500/Blast! challenger. But the SV650 is not without competition; there is such a thing as the MuZ Skorpion...
BigGit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 05:22 PM   #148
4INer
Founding Member

Default Re: I

I too am impressed with the ST1300 from what I see. I've been waiting for Kawasaki to come out with a replacement Concours. My 98 has served me well and with the price tag that Kaw had on it, I can forgive th buzziness. I will be replacing it in the next year or 2, and was almost certain that we would see a new Connie with the new 1200 engine in it. But not to be at least this year. So as it stands right now the new ST may be my next bike. Anybody heard a price on it yet?
4INer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 06:47 PM   #149
RWUB
Founding Member

1. What you see are not actually the mufflers. The exhaust system is covered with thorough heat shielding so as not to make the passenger uncomfortable.

P.S. Anyone heard, perhaps, about a bikini faired version, or at least some form of wind protection?
RWUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2001, 08:24 AM   #150
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

On #4. Your comments about the 919 vs. Nighthawk were right on the mark. This is exactly what I mean when I say I'd like to see a modern V65 Sabre (my current worldbeater), it's mission is similar to the Nighthawk's, but it's bigger (and more modern) and way fast. I've also owned a Nighthawk S.

Unfortunately I don't know if there are enough people like me who fit the mold of living on the bike the way cagers live in their SUVs though.

On #5, The SV650 is a sportbike without plastic. I have one. It's gonna be for sale due to the V65 Sabre being a much better all around bike.
Rob-SV650 is offline   Reply With Quote