Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-24-2001, 11:34 AM   #101
dansalvail
Founding Member

Default Re: Competition with SV650

Good for you guys!

The SVS (Canada didn't get the truly naked SV) is selling like crazy here, quite a notch above MSRP. Just as in Boston, though, the bigger cities have not jumped on the SV as fast as medium-size, student-filled cities.

As for manufacturers never listening, well, over half of Canadian SVS buyers really would have bought a naked SV (poll in SVrider, '01) had they had the choice.
dansalvail is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-24-2001, 11:40 AM   #102
dansalvail
Founding Member

Default Re: Year 2002 Honda reader feedback

True hey! Almost as if Honda was thinking 'Hmm, they're gonna re-paint it anyway, let's leave it on the primer coat!'

The blue (glossy) version is very attractice and makes for a more tempting option.

Methinks this naked would look great with a pair of Speed Triple bug-eyes, and an SV aluminum trellis fairing. Guess you can't have power, reliability and looks all in the same naked bike...
dansalvail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2001, 12:04 PM   #103
aminalmutha
Founding Member

I don't know what's up with the lack of mirrors. I did see a picture of one with mirrors on another site though. Maybe they're an option, I dunno. I think little bar end mirrors would look cool. And drag bars. Yeah. That'd definitely be cool.
aminalmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2001, 12:17 PM   #104
jackbird
Founding Member

Default My birdie'd be a lot lot slower with only 100hp

...but I only get ~2000 miles per set of tires so you have a point, sir.

The Thrust Supersonic Car had tires of solid aluminum, but there aren't many bumps on the Black Rock Desert.

What we could do about this, is design up some liquid cooled tires.
jackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2001, 12:30 PM   #105
jackbird
Founding Member

Default No subliminal message difference between silver/black

My very custom Harley is red where it isn't chrome. My BMW R100 is black and so I had a lot of time on motorcycles both red and black. There seemed a noticeable difference in how I was noticed by cars when I painted my Blackbird red.

Ducati yellow is noticeable, but it's not red so I don't like it quite as well. Besides, all Italian race machines should be red, like Ferraris.

Red Saves Lives!
Old 09-24-2001, 12:35 PM   #106
aminalmutha
Founding Member

Default Re: My birdie

Interesting thought. There may be a better solution than pneumatic tires all together. Will probably be a long time for that to come about, though. Maybe a metal and composite mesh that provides enough stiffness to support the bike, but flexes enough to provide a good contact patch. Then you wouldn't have to worry about fluctuating air pressure. Anyhoo, tires definitely need development. Like what was stated before, 200hp would be no problem in the engine department, but it definitely would be harsh on tires.
Old 09-24-2001, 12:40 PM   #107
jackbird
Founding Member

Default RED SAVES LIVES, and looks good too.

The only excuse for not having red is if you're a rabid Berkeley sports fan because that's the color their arch rival, Stanford, calls "Cardinal", which color they have made their teams mascot, which confuses everyone. Cal fans are stuck with blue and gold. Bold New Graphics time.
Old 09-24-2001, 12:54 PM   #108
aminalmutha
Founding Member

Default Re: It would actually smell like an ignited fart

I've wondered if internal fart combustion was fact or fiction. I guess I know now (unless you're messin' with me). I agree with you on ceramic and titanium use changing cooling requirements. I think titanium is widely misused, mainly for marketing reasons. People think it sounds exotic. The real beauty of titanium is that it is less dense than steel, although more dense than aluminum, can have high strength, depending on the alloy, can be fatigue resistant, and maintains its properties at high temperatures. Much higher than most steels. That's why it's perfect for high temperature, high stress applications, many of which can be found inside engines. I'm sure Honda has tons of engine tricks up their sleeves from their F1 program. I hope to see some of that technology soon, as long as it doesn't drive bike prices out of reach for most buyers. Maybe they could keep their current line up and sell a limited number of really high tech, high dollar bikes.
Old 09-24-2001, 01:50 PM   #109
AseeCobra
Founding Member

Hey Honda, where is the X11 street fighter? Alot of us American riders like big and raw naked power. Thats ok, I spent my money overseas and brought one home. On the other hand the little brother 919 looks good. My wife will be first in line next year to buy one upgrading from her 600. But really, asphalt? At least offer a second color. She would like yellow please.
AseeCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2001, 07:45 PM   #110
guzzi
Founding Member

It's not a V4 but Honda does have 1300 inline 4 cruiser; (but not for US!)

http://www.insidebikes.com/bikebible...x4/x4_main.htm
guzzi is offline   Reply With Quote