Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Year 2002 Yamaha R1 Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/844-year-2002-yamaha-r1-reader-feedback.html)

Roland 09-17-2001 07:56 AM

another great first...

First Squid!!! err.. Post!!!

:)

Lincoln 09-17-2001 08:07 AM

Re: All New Yamaha R1

only 2 more horses? sounds like the gsxr-1000 is still gonna be champ for 2002 unless the thing has dropped about 30 pounds

Toddblah 09-17-2001 08:27 AM

I'll admit when I'm beat. I rode a 2001 Gixxer at Loudon(NHIS), and I am certainly not worthy. On that track I go faster on my 600 :(

aminalmutha 09-17-2001 08:34 AM

Pretty killer looking bike. It's nice to see a few more mechanical bits beneath the skin than the previous R1. Doesn't sound like it's a giant leap forward or anything, but I'll certainly be interested to hear more about it once it's been tested. Oh, and there is more to street riding than sheer horsepower.

canucksvt 09-17-2001 08:34 AM

Well, I must say that I was hoping for a little more than this. How about some ram air??? I agree with the other post and feel that the GSXR-1000 will still be the daddy on the streets, and racetracks of America. Yamaha, what are you thinking??? The styling is ugly! The original R1 broke molds and had a fresh, new look. Now, it just looks like you are trying too hard. On another note, if I could only get Kawasaki to update the ZX-7R I would be a happy boy. Less weight and more power! God bless America.

Toddblah 09-17-2001 08:38 AM

I'm spamming :(

I think that the styling is too angular, and should have been left more like the 'old' R1, or taken from the R7.

Yamaha could have done more in the engine department, for those who can really use the power..of which I am not one. But regardless, lots of people buy open bikes based upon their quarter mile times.

It appears that the chassis may be wonderful. I find it rather odd, that with all of their resources, and knowing the performance of the 2K1 GSXR-1000 that Yamaha chose to do so little in the engine room. Maybe that's a concesssion to riders of less than national caliber.

superbikefan 09-17-2001 08:42 AM

Well, Yamaha only claims a 3 lb weight loss, and NO ram airbox. Seems as though they spent too much effort in styling/graphics and tail lights, and not enough in performance aimed at the GSXR1000 target. At least the subframe finally is a bolt-on like it should have been since day one. Why didn't they make beating the Suzuki's performance a priority? And they better have addressed the R1's well known less-than-stellar reliability reputation (gearbox, clutch, leaks, cracking hubs,etc).

Seems as though the open superbike class world order stays as it was, especially since Honda's redesigned CBR954 seems at this point to have come up short again. That's typical Honda though- they always have their own engineering philosophy and stick to it even in the face of clear superiority from competing products (engineered flex chassis, smaller engine capacity open class, 16" front wheels, etc.).

surfnm 09-17-2001 08:47 AM

Handling, grunt, and looks are few of the necessities for a good street ride. Nice understated paint scheme. Definitely will need a test ride...

heart-of-sword 09-17-2001 08:48 AM

Do we really need that extra peak HP? I hardly ever redlined my R1. I think more hp in the low-mid range would be useful

Cyberj10 09-17-2001 08:56 AM

All New Yamaha R1

Uh.......................... I don't know what to say except, WTF is wrong with Yamaha!!! They took one of the best looking open class sport bikes (if youÂ’re denying that the current generation R1 isnÂ’t gorgeous you must be kidding yourself) and turned it into aÂ…aÂ….. well, frankly, IÂ’m at a loss for words. I am still debating whether I out and out hate the new styling or not but one thing for sure is it looks way worse (by how much, you be the judge) than the bike it is replacing. Not only is the R1 only a few pieces of plastic away from mimicking the new naked bikes (whatÂ’s the deal with the square chunk of the siding taken out?) that are all the rage but the color scheme (minus the traditional blue and white) is absolutely horrible. They took the red and white color scheme, which I wasnÂ’t all that crazy about to begin with but were slowly growing on me (still not as good as the blue and white) and made sure that no one in their right mind would purchase this bike with those colors. If you doubt me, just go here and check it out http://www.motorcycledaily.com/17sep...aha2002r1.html. As far as the silver and black goes, this bike would actually not look that bad if the whole freaking middle panel wasnÂ’t black. If they would have just made the middle piece silver it would look so much better. The way it stands now it looks as if they ran out of paint and just slapped on the siding unfinished. Needless to say, I am disappointed. I was so looking forward to what they would do with the new R1 (remember, this is just commenting on styling, the bike IÂ’m sure probably handles like a dream) and to have this shadow of its former self show up is a big disappointment. I just pray that they donÂ’t do the same to the R6 next year when it is do for a redesign. Btw, the R6 is the best looking sport bike out there right now, period. There are some close 2ndÂ’s and 3rdÂ’s but the 6 still beats them out (in case you forgot what it looks like http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products...&lc=mcy&rdir=1, absolutely stunning). Oh well, IÂ’ll wait patiently for the riding review before totally condemning this bike but so far, Yamaha is off to a bad start.

In case youÂ’re wondering, I am the true definition of a squid (at least I think I am, been riding for a little more than a year now) and youÂ’d be surprised how many of us are out there (a lot more than will admit it) and our opinion DOES matter. Happy and safe riding all.

sanchin 09-17-2001 09:03 AM

The bike looks awesome. Maybe the other makers will realize that taste has a place in sportbike design and manufacturing.

TheMotorCycleMan 09-17-2001 09:11 AM

Well, I'm happy to see that you did correctly identify yourself as a squid at the end of your comment.

I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion...it just so happens that yours seems so off that it really doesn't matter what you think.

Good thing companies like Yamaha, etc doesn't have someone with your credentials working for them in their styling departments.

lanval 09-17-2001 09:14 AM

Um, I just saw pictures of it in the traditional blue, I've had no interest in the R1 until now. I think the new one is just about the best looking non-Italian bike I have ever seen.

TheMotorCycleMan 09-17-2001 09:15 AM

I'm with you man....Where, except on a racetrack, can one utilize what a bike of this caliber has to offer? I currently own a FZ1, but I have owed R6's and a 2000 R1 and can HONESTLY admit, I could never use all that is there on any of these machines. I have over 20 years of solid riding under my belt, and can't imagine needing more H.P. than what this bike will offer.

TheMotorCycleMan 09-17-2001 09:22 AM

Let us not forget that MO and a few other notable magazines, picked last years R1 over the Gixxer as an overall streebike.

We should consider how and where we will ride this motorcycle and then make our judgements on it's merrits.

I'm confident that if YAMAHA wanted it to have more H.P. than the GSX-R1000 it could have built it.

HyperBusa 09-17-2001 09:53 AM

Hmm....

Kinda interesting, but I'm not sure I like the direction the R1 has been going aesthetically. It's starting to look so...skeletal. But what do I care, I'll never buy an R1 anyway. The new VFR is my next interest. I hope MO posts more detailed info on it as soon as they get it.

Cyberj10 09-17-2001 09:55 AM

All I can say is read the rest of the posts. Apparantly I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

Hamrhd 09-17-2001 10:01 AM

Same old scap R-1. Tree huggin Honda must be influencing Yamaha now. At least Suzuki will let the horsepower flow with a great chassis. I also heard the Gixer 1000 is gonna pic up a few more ponies for 2002. Guess I'll hang onto my Gsxr1000 and continue stompin the masses. (i can't wait for the replies) Hehe

JTD 09-17-2001 10:02 AM

I tend to agree that the new look is soured. By the looks of some of these posts, Yamaha has created the "love it or hate it" kind of styling that Dodge is famous for. Personally, I think it's taken on a DBC (Designed By Committee) look. I guess that's what happens when you (Yamaha) ask for input on your website from anyone who has a computer. Maybe they just should have polled the people that actually show up at a racetrack. I also agree that 2 more HP does not a "benchmark" bike make (read this sentence as if you were Yoda and you'll understand).

aminalmutha 09-17-2001 10:12 AM

You know what opinions are like... everyone has one and they all stink. Yours seems to stink more than most. I dig being able to see more of the engine. I think this bike looks more svelt compared to the old R1, at least in the picture. I also think that anyone who buys a bike purely for looks is LAME. Of course, that's my opinion, and to some it may stink, too. Just try to remember to not state opinion as fact.

NickdaBrick 09-17-2001 10:38 AM

It doesn't sound like they did much to it -- but remember, there's only one letter's difference between "hero" and "zero," and "winner" and "weiner." A few tweaks here and there might make all the difference in the world on the road or track. I say, bring on the next open class shootout!

(Of course, the next bike I buy will probably be a low-mileage used Road Star.)

NCRC51 09-17-2001 10:40 AM

The silver would have looked better w/o the black panel, but I still really like the overall look.

Borg-Biker 09-17-2001 10:43 AM

Hmmm... I can understand if you liked the old one, why you are disappointed. I wasn't turned on in the least by the R1/R6 styling to begin with. I know, I know: "fresh styling". But I had no problem with the styling of bikes before the R1.

Personally, I liked the looks of the YZF1000 better.I wish it was a stable mate of the R1. I especially liked the red/white/black combo it had. The Yamaha blue is really nice, but I never did like mixing it with white. This new R1 looks much better to me, but not as nice as the competition(CBR929, ZX9R). The GSXR1000 looks nice in black/silver, but I am BORED with blue/white schemes. To me, the BEST looking supersport bike was the 1999 ZX9R in blue. No "wish I was a racer" graphics, no pretension to being something I'm not, and NO WHITE!(gee, you think he's tired of seeing blue and white?).

I am a street rider. I like hitting corners, and I LOVE power. But I don't need to advertise with flashy graphics. I'd rather have a bike that will still look sharp 10 years from now, instead of people saying " Bikes sure have come a long way.What were they thinking?"

Cyberj10 09-17-2001 10:47 AM

Say what you will, itÂ’s my opinion and I stand by it. Even though I am new to this sport and would not purchase a bike purely on aesthetics, who are we kidding. Bike styling goes a long way in the thought process of the bike we choose to buy and who doesnÂ’t want to be sitting on a tight ass looking bike as some fine-looking woman walks by (I know I do). As I said though in my original post this is just a comment on styling as I am awaiting the riding review before I pass final judgement. My current ride is a 1997 FZR 600 and I hate the front end (dual round head lights, ugh, thank God they donÂ’t make em like this anymore) but I still purchased it because it offered the best performance, reliability and styling for what I could afford at the time (bought it used). ItÂ’s a great bike and has been a wonderful machine for me to learn on but when IÂ’m ready to step up to a new bike in the next year and half you better believe that IÂ’m going to get something that has the performance I want as well as look exactly the way I want, no compromise. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and if you like the new R1 styling fine, for me, while it's not absolutely hideous, (except for the red and white) I was expecting more. Peace.

Anymore comments on my unimportant, irrelevant opinion?

bluedot 09-17-2001 10:53 AM

What other magazines ?

Just curious .. I know MO chose the R1 .. but didn't see anyone else.

Here or UK.

dndrum 09-17-2001 12:07 PM

From what I've read in several magazines the GSXR is almost too much as far as power is concerned. Perhaps HP isn't the answer to everything, refined handling may be. Just a thought.

Abe_Froman 09-17-2001 12:15 PM

Hear ye....

Your opinions have been rendered entirely inconsequential since you say that you like Kawasakis, internationally known as the "ugly ducklings" of the sportbike community. Other than the ZX-7, Kawasaki has never made a good-looking sportbike. The 6,9,and 12 make me want to vomit.

topspd 09-17-2001 12:26 PM

It seems that it's more evolutionary than revolutionary unfortunately.. I do like the black frame though, and silver/black is a nice colour scheme and is a welcome change from the ubiquitous blue/white.. The shift light should be useful.. I really had hoped for 5+ more horsepower or significantly reduced weight.. at least they should have TiN'ed the forks.

All in all, I see no compelling reason to trade up from my modded 2000 R1 - maybe they'll do something for 2004..

Abe_Froman 09-17-2001 12:37 PM

Yep, the verdict is in.....

Man, am I glad I bought mine in 2000. I was flip-flopping between the GSXR750 and the R1 at the time, but the look of the red/wht/blk R1 was so hard that I just had to get the R1. After 6500 miles and a ride on a 750, I'm even more happy with my purchase.

What is with the x-wing fighter stuff on the tail? I thought squared-off bodywork went out in the early nineties. It is ruined. That said, the smooth painted undertray, with the (by the looks of things) easily-removeable fender are great ideas. It should look quite good from behind after that fender is removed. The color schemes are no improvement, though. Why didn't they put the black frame on my bike, and make these silver? The black fork looks pure Ninja 250, as well. Lame. Gold is in. Furthermore, that black and silver scheme should be burned. Absolutely horrible.

All in all, the traditional schemes look kind of schizo and thrown together. Please bring back smooth bodywork and simple colors. And leave the little pretty things like blue caliper pistons and gold forks. I was really looking forward to the new bike, even wondering if I might put a down payment on one. Yamaha has decided that question for me. No way. I don't care how good it rides. My 2000 is no slouch, and when you put them side by side, it's like putting Portia De Rossi next to Courtney Love. No contest.

Azrifel 09-17-2001 12:40 PM

Check the specsheet at the US Yamaha site. Most of the engine has been altered, new gearbox, one piece cranckshaft/cylinder block....... Different type of fuel injection compared to other makes. Calipers have been worked on etc etc etc

And don't forget to check that tail-light!

das 09-17-2001 12:42 PM

Wow, there's another one out there...

I share your opinion that the blue ZX-9 is the best looking sportbike ever produced, period.

I'm not normally all that interested in the colors and graphics on bikes; that's one of the very few that reached out and grabbed my eyes and made me want it immediately.

Azrifel 09-17-2001 12:43 PM

rls4691 09-17-2001 12:45 PM

Who cares about ram air. None of the ram air box machines I've ever seen have a sealed box OEM, thus don't get any ram effect (or no more than negligible effect).

I applaud any effort to remove extraneous non functional stuff from these type of bikes.

Performance differences for all these bikes are hypothetical for 99.9% of us, as all these bikes have WAY more power and WAY more chassis than we can use or challenge. As for the GSXR1000 it's just too raw for real street use. The old R1 was very nervous on bad/normal roads. The 929 is the best all around bike. I've ridden them all and own none of them.

Azrifel 09-17-2001 12:47 PM

In fact its a completely new bike except for some minor details.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products...cy&cid=5&mid=6

aminalmutha 09-17-2001 12:56 PM

Yep, lots of good updates, but like I said, it doesn't seem to be a big leap forward in terms of overall sportbike performance or technology, which really isn't a bad thing. I'm glad Yamaha is evolving the bike and not trying to reinvent the wheel. I'm looking forward to test rides.

starvingstudent 09-17-2001 01:49 PM

Get rid of the passenger seat?

Overall, I really like the new lines, especially in the silver-and-grey color scheme.

But how about Yamaha gets rid of that passenger seat? As is, the padding is as thick as a piece of kleenex, there's no grabrail or anything, and...well overall you'd have to pay me a LOT of money to ride on the back, because I'd probably fall off when it wheelies for the first time. Let's face it, anyone who likes the R1 but regularly rides with passenger is going to buy an FZ1 instead.

Why not make the R1 a dedicated single-person mount like the RC51? It would save maybe one or two pounds (which seems to matter a lot to the target audience) and the styling would be really cleaned up. Especially when the passenger pegs are gone as well. Perhaps it could even result in an under-the-tail exhaust of some configuration? I mean, R1 riders love ground clearance and high pipes (on average), and causing horrible burns on the passenger wouldn't be a worry once there IS no option for passenger.

natscom 09-17-2001 01:52 PM

The rubber looks like Michellin Pilots

CBR1000F 09-17-2001 02:57 PM

Re: Year 2002 Yamaha R1 Reader Feedback

I like the color scheme... Finally! But I'm not sure about the new bodywork. I'll wait until I see it in person.

Duken4evr 09-17-2001 03:02 PM

Re: Get rid of the passenger seat?

LOL Any modern sport bike is for passengers, but some girls love 'em anyway. My riding buddy has a blue and white R1, and he posted a pic of it in his AOL (yes he is a computer 'tard) profile.

He had two girls come and meet him, one travelled all the way from Tahoe to Los Angeles were we live. He got laid on a grand scale.

I would consider selling my TL1000 in favor of the R1, but I like twins, and more importantly, I am married :-)

irwc1 09-17-2001 03:51 PM

Re: Year 2002 Yamaha R1 Reader Feedback

Well, I was all in a fit, worried which bike I was going to buy in the spring. The closer the Milan show gets, the easier it's getting!

R1 - major step backwards in styling

954RR - not better, not worse, still boring

GSXR - the whole line looks the same

ZX9R - same basic bike introduced in 98, which was the last time it looked good

Yes, I think this will be the year for a twin. My frigging R6 sounded like a chainsaw, so a RC51 or Mille should do nicely.

Chris