Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-18-2001, 06:55 PM   #81
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default it's all good

Thanks for the apology and no harm done.

Considering your current situation, consider giving up sex and spending the extra time on your bike. It may sound lame, but here is my reasoning (yes these are my own):

1.) You can ride a motorcycle in plain view of your mother.

2.) You can ride a motorcycle in plain view of your priest.

3.) You don't have to wait until the motorcycle is "in the mood."

4.) You don't have to whisper sweet lies to your motorcycle.

5.) When you trade in your motorcycle for the new model, you don't have to pay alimony to the old one.

6.) Your motorcycle won't demand that you go watch romantic comedies starring Julia Roberts.

7.) Your motorcycle won't knee you in the groin for looking at sexier motorcycles online.

8.) You don't end up buying gasoline for a whole bunch of little motorcycles if you ride too often.

9.) You can tell your entire office with a straight face about the new black leather bra you bought for the gastank of your motorcycle.

10.) When lubrication fails suddenly and dramatically, it's only the rear sprocket that gets mangled.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-18-2001, 09:23 PM   #82
David_2001
Founding Member

Default Re: All New Yamaha R1

I can outrun R1's on my GSXR750 (in the straights anyway). I think that the least Yamaha could do is beat the 750. I personally would choose the R1 or the CBR because of the reliability problems with Suzuki.

I've had nothing but problems with mine. Almost everyone I ride with who owns a Suzuki 750 or 1000 has had major mechanical problems(clutch and second gear). I ride it hard, but the guys I ride with who own Honda's and Yamaha's don't have any mechanical problems like I do.

I think that comfort should also be considered, but when it comes down to it, a sportbike is all about power,handling, and looks.

I have to say that I don't care for the new look from the R1. In my opinion, the new paint schemes just plain bite! But having ridden the R1 and seeing that they hold up under abuse, I think that if you like the new look, it's the bike to own. I think I'll be trading my GSXR for a Honda first chance I get, I just don't like the new styling even though I really wanted to.

David_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2001, 09:34 PM   #83
David_2001
Founding Member

Default Re: Yep, the verdict is in.....

You were right about the R1 verses the GSXR. I got the GSXR and wish I hadn't. Nothing but trouble. First the clutch basket exploded, taking the clutch hub and clutch plates with it. Now second gear is skipping. Everyone I know who bought Suzuki 750's or 1000's is having problems with them.
David_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 02:31 AM   #84
davidcorr
Founding Member

Default Re: Year 2002 Yamaha R1 Reader Feedback

12er,

it seems active bike has shut down. would love to read the article you mentioned, if it can be found. could you give me a topline?

my british riding buddies call it the wanker strip.

thanks,

david
davidcorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 06:15 AM   #85
RedMistR1
Founding Member

hey yzf1070 I have a quick question for you.I recently bought my first sport bike a 2000 Red R1 and man do I love it.I want to install the frame sliders.I bought the intuitive ones.I got the left side on,just a bolt on,but I do not want to cut the right side fairing.Do you know anywhere that I can buy a metal adjustment plate to place the slider where I wouldn't have to cut it?Thanks.You can email me at freespirit69@hotmail.com
RedMistR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 10:06 AM   #86
ffwd
Founding Member

I'm assuming the thing will work better in most respects than the current model, which I like a lot. That leaves the looks. The pictures of the blue one outdoors give a better impression than the white background studio pics, so it may just be a design that pictures can't do adequate justice. I wonder if it will have the clean elliptical turn signals in these pictures or the ugly chunky things shown at at the Yamaha-motors.com website. I think those little lights tucked up in the corners of the headlight recesses beg for conversion to turn signals. I'm already thinking ahead to the impact of typical cosmetic clean-ups.
ffwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 12:58 PM   #87
d207gp
Founding Member

No no no! What's up with the Klingon battlecruiser tailsection?! F'ugly. And the cut-outs in the side panels...if I wanted someting like that I would have bought an FZ-1! The dash looks sweet, though, but Yamaha wanted something warmer and fuzzier for '02. This sounds ominously like another major MC manufacturer, one who had introduced a bike that turned everyone on their ear back in '93 over here in the States. Then, in 1996, they let allowed this stellar performer to go all pear-shaped. I am talking, of course, about the CBR900RR. Yammy is going the same route, sorry to say, and unless they're fudging their HP figures, Suzuki is quite simply going to storm all over the newest R1. They claim 2-3 more hp? BFD. My '99 with a full Akra no doubt makes more, and with the time and effort invested in suspension componants and setup, it's a great ride at both the track and in the canyons. I sincerely doubted that I would give it up for the latest model. Sorry Yamaha, you dropped the ball big-time with this one, try again in a couple more years.
d207gp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 01:12 PM   #88
d207gp
Founding Member

So you're saying that we should all buy maked bikes, then? LOL!
Old 09-19-2001, 01:16 PM   #89
d207gp
Founding Member

Yeah, I have. Hideous. Robert Dussault's undertail kit (which Yamaha pretty much RIPPED OFF for the latest R6 tail) looks far more elegant.
Old 09-19-2001, 02:20 PM   #90
john
Founding Member

I guess my take on "style" differs from most here. I love the looks of the '01 B12s, and it had the most real world appeal with allowances for fun, so that's what i ride. It looked like a "sleeper" to me, a bike that sits in the corner and goes unnoticed. The old R1 bored me to look at. Not in a sleeper way, just a boring way. This new R1 is very fresh looking, I like it A LOT. I think the angular look is good.....the other extreme is the newer Katana's jellybeanish appearance.

For the last few years (damn near since the 93 Blade came out) all sportbikes seemed to be migrating towards a common appearance (triumph included) I think this R1 is going off in a different direction, and i am glad, because other than the new F4i, the sportbikes were starting to look BORING