Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-18-2001, 11:06 AM   #71
yzf1070
Founding Member

Default Re: Year 2002 Yamaha R1 Reader Feedback

I hear from most all the online mags including this one that the engine is only 2-3 more ponies and 2-4 more lbft of torque throughout the rev range. All the dealers in my area however are saying this isn't true and that the horsepower will be closer to 10 and as high as 15 ponies to the plus side. I have not seen if any of these online sites are quoting Yamaha reps, but the dealers claim they are. I don't know who to believe nor do I really care either way it is enough to get me to trade in my 97 model for the 02. I'll have mine in silver and black please, is anyone looking for a 1070 big bore yzf1000 red/white with only 6000 miles?
yzf1070 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-18-2001, 11:22 AM   #72
mrvics
Founding Member

To all the people (squids) who are dissapointed in the fact that yamaha is not chasing the GSXR: hp is not what makes an open-classer a winner. I've ridden both bikes and raced against a gixxer 1000 on my 2000 R1 at the local race track and they have a hard time keeping up with me in the tight tight stuff. ESPECIALLY in the canyons! In the canyons, they don't have a chance. They R1 is so much more flickable. Now that Yamaha has upped the mid-range power and improved the chasis, forget about it! I can't wait. The silver and black is beautiful and I can't wait!!

Oh yah, someone mentioned that people buy open-class bikes for their quarter mile times...??? Where the hell do you get YOUR info from?!?!

By the way, my 2000 R1 is for sale. Runs PERFECTLY. If interested, reply. Or maybe you'd like to test your gixer against me and my R1 in the canyons. Located in So. California.

mrvics@yahoo.com
mrvics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2001, 02:45 PM   #73
Ian_R1
Founding Member

Default Re: BWAHAHAHA

You know you are entitled to your opinion, but at least do your homework first...

Are you sure an RC51 has a single seat... Go use this thing we call the internet and check out an RC's picture... See those metal slabs hanging off the tail?? Those would be PASSENGER PEGS, Honda doesn't put them on for decoration you know. The RC does come with a seat...

Do you have a bike, or even a license to operate a motorcyle?

Ian
Ian_R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2001, 02:53 PM   #74
Ian_R1
Founding Member

That seems to be the trend with many Gixxer owners.

While I have been beaten by Gixxer1000's it's only in the straights and I realize anyone can twist their wrist, but those same guys nearly stand the bike up hitting the brakes when a corner comes up... While I make up the ground I lost and make my own lead in that same corner.

I don't necessarily agree with the styling of this R1, namely the front end, but I can see their design stragedy... Make a better handling bike and the extra power "might" be negated, obviously they think it will be negated but I don't. The one thing they seem to neglet is that the Gixxer1000 in the right hands will flog just about anything out there in the twisties also.

It remains to be seen how this bike is but from the spec sheet I could care less if it puts down 140rwhp, the extra midrange and the handling is where I'm hoping this bike shines...

Ian
Old 09-18-2001, 02:56 PM   #75
Ian_R1
Founding Member

Here, here... I'll take a silver one also. If anyone is interested, I have a '01 R1 with 9,000 miles on the blocks.

It's either this or the 998S.

Ian
Old 09-18-2001, 03:02 PM   #76
metal
Founding Member

Default Re: All New Yamaha R1

Of course, but GSXR1000 has better suspension stock too. I think all inline-fours over 600cc are too much for the street. The truth is 99% of street riders cannot put that power to the ground or set up their suspension. Pick a bike you think looks cooler.
metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2001, 03:29 PM   #77
Borg-Biker
Founding Member

Default Re: Another pretty sportbike

Thank you, those who agree. Those who don't agree-weell, you are wrong!

Just kidding, simmer down!

Other bikes I think look great for one reason or another: every iteration of VFR(especially the new one), all GSXR's (black & yellow and silver & black more), most Kawasaki Ninja's,The Blackbird, TL1000s, VTR1000, YZF 600 &1000's, CBR929, ZXR11 &12, Ducati Sports & Supersports, pretty much all the current Triumphs, and almost any Bimota. There are many from the '80's I like, which partially due to nostagia, since that's when I got my first sportbike.

There is obviously somebody out there who likes even the homeliest, slowest bike; otherwise it wouldn't sell at all. If I see that person out on the street, I will still wave, and lend them a hand if they need it. My passions don't overwhelm me into bike prejudice.
Borg-Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2001, 04:05 PM   #78
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Thanks for the baseless personal attack. It changed what would have been a minor correction into a complete squid piece of junk.

You are correct, that the RC51 does come with passenger pegs & seat. However, all the photos on the Honda website, plus all the photos of it on MO, show it WITH THE COWLING ON. The seam over the seat cowling is also more cleverly disguised than most. Hence the illusion that it is a single-seater. Perhaps you've got a photo from a major publication of someone riding two-up on the RC, or even with the rear seat visible, that you'd like to share?

As for the baseless personal attack, yes, I have been a licensed rider and a motorcycle owner for four years now. Thanks for asking. Owned two bikes, neither of which was an R1 or RC51. Rebel 250 then Shadow 600, if it matters. I hope you have NEVER posted in a non-sportbike discussion, or if you have, that you can list of EVERY relevant statistic for the motorcycles I have owned (and others on the road). Because even small, honest mistakes apparently cannot be tolerated on MO's forums. Care to share why you're so mad over something that didn't seem to bother anyone else?

BTW, I believe Honda _did_ sell some track-prepped RC51s in Europe (or maybe it was US) that were single-seaters, and maybe that's where it got into my mind. The fact that I have never even seen a photo of the bike without a cowling would only add to that.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2001, 04:08 PM   #79
Ian_R1
Founding Member

I was fighting with my girlfriend when I wrote that, it was a bit harsh, I apologize.

I haven't seen a picture, I've had my girlfriend on the back of one and have gotten lucky enough to have a friend that lets me take it out when I want... 1,000 miles later... That's where the comment came from.

What you saw was an RC with race plastics... The R1 can also have them... and many do. Give Sharkskinz or Airtech two months after the release of this bike and you will also see a single seat tail.

Again, sorry for the bad post. Women screw your head up.

Ian
Old 09-18-2001, 04:14 PM   #80
Borg-Biker
Founding Member

When I rode a '98 R1, it did handle very much like the '98 and previous 600's. Not exact, but very close. Modern 600's have improved quite a bit since then, and I'd be suprised if ANYONE ever makes a literbike handle JUST LIKE a 600. A 1000 cc motor has a bigger flywheel, crank etc... and therefore has more gyroscopic force (which slows down a bike's ability to turn quickly, so I've read). I rode a RG500 Gamma two stroke Gp replica years ago, full lean left to right was phenomenal. I can't even imagine what a modern GP bike feels like. I think even the 600's would handle like trucks in comparison. Big engines just need heavier parts, and until someone figures out how to cheat physics, 600's will always have a little edge in the tight stuff.
Borg-Biker is offline   Reply With Quote