Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-17-2001, 03:57 PM   #41
01_929
Founding Member

Default Re: Year 2002 Yamaha R1 Reader Feedback

The bike looks too futuristic. I hate the styling. Loved the old R1 look though. Obviously, no liter bike needs more power, but whether or not we want to admit it, it's a great braggin rights to have the big boy on the block. I agree that it's not everything, but it helps. Still the heaviest liter bike, not counting the ZX-9R. I'm sure that it handles like a dream seeing how Yamaha put most of their focus in the chassis. My money is on the new CBR954 for this year. Overall best bike, that is. The Gixxer is probably the HP king still.
01_929 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-17-2001, 04:08 PM   #42
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Get rid of the passenger seat?

Those girls are pretty freakin' stupid if they'll make an interstate trip just to fall off the back of a bike. I could give them the same thrill by making them stand tip-toe on top of a fencepost and then walloping them in the gut with a sandbag.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 06:57 PM   #43
TroyR6
Founding Member

I like the the new R1 except for its colour scheme's. They should be solid colours. For example they should be like the artist impression on the motorcyclenews.com website. less stickers and a solid colour and you have a seller.

I know to me power aint everything as I hardly get past redline in 2nd or 3rd gear on my R6 anyway. Seriously how much more power do you really need? I think it only counts in the lower to mid range which hopefully should be rectified with the new R1's Fuel Injection.

Anyway I give it a 8 out of 10.
TroyR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 07:00 PM   #44
zxguy
Founding Member

Default Re: All New Yamaha R1

Liked the 98-99 ZX9-R so much I boiught one.

Still looks fantastic.
zxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 07:25 PM   #45
shadowsmans
Founding Member

Default Re: 2002 r1 r1 r1.

finally a cool scheme from yamaha. the previous colors were boring. i commend yamaha for making a bold,dramatic move to change the colors and black out the rest of the bike. i wish suzuki would black out the frame too. finally bikes are looking cool again, not just a RACE REPLICA, more like street bikes!!!! black is cool.

ps. the cut fairing is original so i cant knock it, its progree folks to go against the grain of convention, especially if it is functional. yamaha made the right decision.
shadowsmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 07:32 PM   #46
shadowsmans
Founding Member

yamaha made the right choice. back to street bike styling compared to the worn out boring colors like before. cool black out of frame which suzuki should follow. bring graphics back to 1992-1995 days where they look like street bikes. nice move on the cut fairing which is innovative. progress is good
shadowsmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 07:42 PM   #47
schipwreck
Founding Member

"Anymore comments on my

unimportant, irrelevant opinion?"

Actually, I thought you made some pretty thoughtful comments about the styling. And you did it without being a pud and denigrating other folks' opinions.
schipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 07:52 PM   #48
schipwreck
Founding Member

Whoops, forgot to give my own styling opinion-

[irony mode on] It's an Aprilia Futura without the tasteful restraint. [irony mode off]

Where's the button that turns it into a giant robot?

schipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 07:56 PM   #49
gsxrjohnny
Founding Member

MO, in 1997: "There are those who would scoff at such outrageous power levels. These nay-sayers would contend that no one needs 135 bhp bikes, that 177 mph is far too high a speed for a streetbike."

gsxrjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 08:28 PM   #50
Droog
Founding Member

The old R1 had a one piece crankshaft/cylinder block. The gearbox is the same technology as well.
Droog is offline   Reply With Quote