Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-17-2001, 01:42 PM   #31
das
Founding Member

Default Re: All New Yamaha R1

Wow, there's another one out there...

I share your opinion that the blue ZX-9 is the best looking sportbike ever produced, period.

I'm not normally all that interested in the colors and graphics on bikes; that's one of the very few that reached out and grabbed my eyes and made me want it immediately.
das is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-17-2001, 01:43 PM   #32
Azrifel
Founding Member

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products...cy&cid=5&mid=6
Azrifel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 01:45 PM   #33
rls4691
Founding Member

Who cares about ram air. None of the ram air box machines I've ever seen have a sealed box OEM, thus don't get any ram effect (or no more than negligible effect).

I applaud any effort to remove extraneous non functional stuff from these type of bikes.

Performance differences for all these bikes are hypothetical for 99.9% of us, as all these bikes have WAY more power and WAY more chassis than we can use or challenge. As for the GSXR1000 it's just too raw for real street use. The old R1 was very nervous on bad/normal roads. The 929 is the best all around bike. I've ridden them all and own none of them.

rls4691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 01:47 PM   #34
Azrifel
Founding Member

In fact its a completely new bike except for some minor details.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products...cy&cid=5&mid=6
Azrifel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 01:56 PM   #35
aminalmutha
Founding Member

Yep, lots of good updates, but like I said, it doesn't seem to be a big leap forward in terms of overall sportbike performance or technology, which really isn't a bad thing. I'm glad Yamaha is evolving the bike and not trying to reinvent the wheel. I'm looking forward to test rides.
aminalmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 02:49 PM   #36
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Get rid of the passenger seat?

Overall, I really like the new lines, especially in the silver-and-grey color scheme.

But how about Yamaha gets rid of that passenger seat? As is, the padding is as thick as a piece of kleenex, there's no grabrail or anything, and...well overall you'd have to pay me a LOT of money to ride on the back, because I'd probably fall off when it wheelies for the first time. Let's face it, anyone who likes the R1 but regularly rides with passenger is going to buy an FZ1 instead.

Why not make the R1 a dedicated single-person mount like the RC51? It would save maybe one or two pounds (which seems to matter a lot to the target audience) and the styling would be really cleaned up. Especially when the passenger pegs are gone as well. Perhaps it could even result in an under-the-tail exhaust of some configuration? I mean, R1 riders love ground clearance and high pipes (on average), and causing horrible burns on the passenger wouldn't be a worry once there IS no option for passenger.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 02:52 PM   #37
natscom
Founding Member

The rubber looks like Michellin Pilots
natscom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 03:57 PM   #38
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: Year 2002 Yamaha R1 Reader Feedback

I like the color scheme... Finally! But I'm not sure about the new bodywork. I'll wait until I see it in person.
Old 09-17-2001, 04:02 PM   #39
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Default Re: Get rid of the passenger seat?

LOL Any modern sport bike is for passengers, but some girls love 'em anyway. My riding buddy has a blue and white R1, and he posted a pic of it in his AOL (yes he is a computer 'tard) profile.

He had two girls come and meet him, one travelled all the way from Tahoe to Los Angeles were we live. He got laid on a grand scale.

I would consider selling my TL1000 in favor of the R1, but I like twins, and more importantly, I am married
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 04:51 PM   #40
irwc1
Founding Member

Default Re: Year 2002 Yamaha R1 Reader Feedback

Well, I was all in a fit, worried which bike I was going to buy in the spring. The closer the Milan show gets, the easier it's getting!

R1 - major step backwards in styling

954RR - not better, not worse, still boring

GSXR - the whole line looks the same

ZX9R - same basic bike introduced in 98, which was the last time it looked good

Yes, I think this will be the year for a twin. My frigging R6 sounded like a chainsaw, so a RC51 or Mille should do nicely.

Chris

irwc1 is offline   Reply With Quote