Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-17-2001, 09:03 AM   #11
sanchin
Registered Member

Default Re: All New Yamaha R1

The bike looks awesome. Maybe the other makers will realize that taste has a place in sportbike design and manufacturing.

sanchin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-17-2001, 09:11 AM   #12
TheMotorCycleMan
Founding Member

Well, I'm happy to see that you did correctly identify yourself as a squid at the end of your comment.

I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion...it just so happens that yours seems so off that it really doesn't matter what you think.

Good thing companies like Yamaha, etc doesn't have someone with your credentials working for them in their styling departments.
TheMotorCycleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 09:14 AM   #13
lanval
Founding Member

Um, I just saw pictures of it in the traditional blue, I've had no interest in the R1 until now. I think the new one is just about the best looking non-Italian bike I have ever seen.
lanval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 09:15 AM   #14
TheMotorCycleMan
Founding Member

I'm with you man....Where, except on a racetrack, can one utilize what a bike of this caliber has to offer? I currently own a FZ1, but I have owed R6's and a 2000 R1 and can HONESTLY admit, I could never use all that is there on any of these machines. I have over 20 years of solid riding under my belt, and can't imagine needing more H.P. than what this bike will offer.
Old 09-17-2001, 09:22 AM   #15
TheMotorCycleMan
Founding Member

Let us not forget that MO and a few other notable magazines, picked last years R1 over the Gixxer as an overall streebike.

We should consider how and where we will ride this motorcycle and then make our judgements on it's merrits.

I'm confident that if YAMAHA wanted it to have more H.P. than the GSX-R1000 it could have built it.
Old 09-17-2001, 09:53 AM   #16
HyperBusa
Founding Member

Default Hmm....

Kinda interesting, but I'm not sure I like the direction the R1 has been going aesthetically. It's starting to look so...skeletal. But what do I care, I'll never buy an R1 anyway. The new VFR is my next interest. I hope MO posts more detailed info on it as soon as they get it.
HyperBusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 09:55 AM   #17
Cyberj10
Founding Member

All I can say is read the rest of the posts. Apparantly I'm not the only one who thinks this way.
Cyberj10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 10:01 AM   #18
Hamrhd
Founding Member

Same old scap R-1. Tree huggin Honda must be influencing Yamaha now. At least Suzuki will let the horsepower flow with a great chassis. I also heard the Gixer 1000 is gonna pic up a few more ponies for 2002. Guess I'll hang onto my Gsxr1000 and continue stompin the masses. (i can't wait for the replies) Hehe
Hamrhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 10:02 AM   #19
JTD
Founding Member

I tend to agree that the new look is soured. By the looks of some of these posts, Yamaha has created the "love it or hate it" kind of styling that Dodge is famous for. Personally, I think it's taken on a DBC (Designed By Committee) look. I guess that's what happens when you (Yamaha) ask for input on your website from anyone who has a computer. Maybe they just should have polled the people that actually show up at a racetrack. I also agree that 2 more HP does not a "benchmark" bike make (read this sentence as if you were Yoda and you'll understand).
JTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 10:12 AM   #20
aminalmutha
Founding Member

You know what opinions are like... everyone has one and they all stink. Yours seems to stink more than most. I dig being able to see more of the engine. I think this bike looks more svelt compared to the old R1, at least in the picture. I also think that anyone who buys a bike purely for looks is LAME. Of course, that's my opinion, and to some it may stink, too. Just try to remember to not state opinion as fact.
aminalmutha is offline   Reply With Quote