Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Year 2002 Yamaha R1 Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/844-year-2002-yamaha-r1-reader-feedback.html)

PostMortemElvis 10-03-2001 03:48 PM

Re: Year 2002 Yamaha R1 Reader Feedback

Agreed, the tail looks dumb as hell but I like the rest of the bike. I still prefer the aesthetics of my '01 though and I can't see myself rushing out to trade up, if it could be considered as that. In my humble opinion, the '98 to '01 R1 was a benchmark in performance and a revolutionary composition of bodywork which has yet to be surpassed as a whole.

PostMortemElvis 10-03-2001 04:30 PM

Kicks them all huh? I'm assuming that you have ridden both an R1 and a 996, if my assumption is correct then you are merely a dumbass. If however, you are writing with only the benefit of what you have heard or read perhaps you need a reality check. Lets just say that the 996 retailed for around $10,300, that would make you giddy wouldnt it? Sometimes reality comes to rain on your happy little parade even when we pretend to knock about six grand off the sticker price, most of the time it comes in the form of your buddy passing you like you are standing still on straight stretches of asphault. If you are so skilled as to at least hang with him in the curves you may shout expletives about costly and frequent maintainance, but never fear the next straight is comming up and he will be out of shouting range. By this time you have wound the duck up and you might just want to take a break at the nearest rest stop to pose next to your lovely Italian bike. A great chance to extinguish the seat of your leathers, which have been on a slow but increasingly painful boil since the great duck got up to operating temperature. Maybe your buddy will call you from the next state and you will have a clearer understanding of just what separates real sportbikes from poser rides.

PostMortemElvis 10-03-2001 04:45 PM

So let me get this straight, you judge the validity of a bike or manufacturer on the basis of sponsored racing events? Hmm, lets see. Sponsored events are set to be epual in equipment and are won by riders. I wonder how much you would covet the duck if a talented rider smoked you on an SV650?

kurtiscrombie 10-04-2001 09:22 AM

Elvis has left the building,

If you read my whole paragraph the first thing I said was I owned an R6 2001, which does corner much better than an R1, and ducati because I have been on both. My riding experience is quit experienced with dirt being my first love then on to road bikes. Yes I can back it into corners thats kinda fun, Yes I can do wheelies 1, 2, 3, no problem and I do know how to smoke your sv650 on any of the above bikes. But let me know this, if your so fast, do I know you from the AMA Circuit?

LoganGixY2K 10-05-2001 04:36 AM

Well MO, it seems that Yamaha was listening to you guys during the development of their new R1.

Since you gave the GSXR 2nd place for being to damn fast, Yamaha said " well, we better go with what MO says". Thus developing the same bike with only 2 more hp.

Since I'm such a nice guy I'll save the trouble of coming up with next year winners:

1. R1 (same old bike with FI)

2. GSXR1000 (Too scary and makes me wet myself)

3. CBR954 (nice bike, but now is too fast, boohoo)

4. ZX9R (The only reason we did not pick this as our #1 bike is because they don't advertise with us as much as YAMAHA DOES!!!)

Don't worry, you don't owe me anything.

But for you guy's sake, I hope these new bikes don't perform better than the GSXR1000. Otherwise, you'll need to order dipers everytime you ride them.

LoganGixY2K 10-05-2001 07:05 AM

No, you come to my neck of the woods and see if you can beat me going around the twiesties of the Central Coast of California, and then will see who spits the farthest, and runs the quickest, and, and, and... You'l see.

Sound a little childish? Well, IT IS!

PostMortemElvis 10-05-2001 04:25 PM

Cool your jets waterhead, I'm sure your a mini-Gobert or whatever little bit of fudging you give the populace. I don't remember asking if you could wheely in any gear, personally I dont give a rats ass. And no I don't ride an sv650, if you had read MY comment carefully you would have taken that I simply stated that a skilled rider on that bike would probably smoke your happy ass. What do you make this up as you go along?

12er 10-11-2001 05:33 AM

Im guilty myself ;)

intruderman 10-19-2001 05:41 AM

Hey!!....

I like the Futura's styling. It's so....Austin Powers, baby.

intruderman 10-19-2001 05:42 AM

I liked the previous R-1 styling better. As Motorcylist said, "It's pure sex on wheels". How can you improve on that?