Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-19-2001, 03:27 PM   #91
kurtiscrombie
Founding Member

Default Re: Year 2002 Yamaha R1 Reader Feedback

drop some real money and get a 996 ducati, that will settle all your problems, if you put a 996 next to a rc51 or mille it will put it to shame. I dont own one but you cant argue with the syling, performance, and overall snob appeal of the price thats what seperates this bike from the rest.

kurtiscrombie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-19-2001, 03:53 PM   #92
kurtiscrombie
Founding Member

I sold my 2001 R6, and thought I might pick up a new R1 in the spring, well the styling is not as bad as others (but its not that great either) are saying plus you must see it in person. As compared to Honda, Suzuki,Kawa, there all in the same league a few tweaks here a few changes there and a big HP numbers game with lower weight. I'm saying all these bikes are nice but if you really want to get a bike which kicks them all get a ducati 996. Italian style, feel, status, income level, ride, power, winning superbike, this is what really seperates this bike from the all. Admit you all want one it just expensive!!
Old 09-19-2001, 07:01 PM   #93
Ian_R1
Founding Member

Default Re: Heh...

Nice one!!

I only wish your list was that easy!

Ian
Ian_R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2001, 10:23 AM   #94
BusaRacer
Founding Member

Default 2002 Yamaha R1 a Dissappointment

'02 R1? Been there done that. Owned a '98 R1. Biggest problem was a rear shock that sucked and caused severe tank slappers. Why go to FI? The carbs were perfect. Also the bike was NOT quick turning contrary to popular belief. Appears that has not been addressed. So I am bummed. Hoped for more from Yamaha than FI and a new frame. Seems suspicious. A new frame is major bucks. Was the old one defective?
BusaRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2001, 09:31 AM   #95
12er
Founding Member

It was one of their "Voice of Reason" articles stating how many riders judge their performance and the performance of others by looking at their tires. Similarly to how some feel the underside of other riders foot pegs to see if they have touched down. Then it went on to say how thinking this way can get you into trouble by riding above your abilities. I noticed right after I posted that the site had closed, pitty it offered some good reading and perspectives.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2001, 09:40 AM   #96
12er
Founding Member

If your 5'10" or above I wouldnt recomend a 99x. Blast to ride, but very painful as they are smaller than they look. At 6'6" I had to lean way back just to see the clocks as my head was up near the headlight. Then getting my size 15 feet onto the pegs was just too funny. Had to hook my heels then shimmy the rest of my foot up. They are sexy but they are getting old to me. Seen way too many over the years...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 11:13 AM   #97
ricci
Founding Member

more power ,fine; fuel injection ,even better;stiffer frame ,excellent......

but that new tail looks HIDEOUS,UGLY,CRAPPY
ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 06:18 AM   #98
kurtiscrombie
Founding Member

adding to my own comments, If I had to buy one of these Japanese Bikes I would however definatly buy the new R1 the style is growing on me, other bikes will follow in design Most people just dont like change at first, then it becomes acceptable.
Old 09-23-2001, 07:08 AM   #99
pengilly
Founding Member

Default Re: 2002 Yamaha R1 a Dissappointment

Im with ya man...I couldnt help but fear that yamaha would only go so far with development. The marketing people want to stretch technology out to generate as much capital as possible. If you ride in the twisties all day buy a 600, no dought its easier to ride fast but for guys who street ride the bikes your not always in a public place and believe it or not from time to time we.....open them up and use every friggin horsepower they can muster up. To us you say " We made it friendlier" Easier to ride" Blow me, I want 160 hp and great handling. 2-3 more horse is same different day..Ill stick with the bridesmaid(to the gsxr1000) 2000 R1 or maybe....Ill join the dark side
pengilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2001, 05:35 PM   #100
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Do you HONESTLY BELIEVE

that Yamaha WANTED it to have less hp that the GSXR? Of course they wanted it to have more hp. The still want it, and they're probably still working on it.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote