Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-05-2001, 11:51 AM   #61
stevegrab
Founding Member

Default Re: Modified FZ-1 Reader Feedback

I told them that when they first reviewed the bike, and were so upset (as were many posting at the time) that it was so heavy, detuned, and boring. I think some people thought that the FZ1 would be the poor man's R1, all the power and performance but none of the plastic and trick bits. That's just not possible.

You've got it spot on.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2001, 12:09 PM   #62
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Talking specifically about the Bandit 1200. So many testers that have ridden it said it was way to easy to loft the front wheel... that the geometry of the bike seems like it was deliberately designed to be easy to do that.

Old 09-05-2001, 12:30 PM   #63
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

No worries CBR guy! Each to our own choice. I like the torque monster B12 but would rather have a more modern (read, smoother) liquid cooled engine in a sportytourer type machine.

Bandit style with GSX1300R????

Lofting the front... yeah, even the old ones I rode did that easily...even rented a Bandit 600 in Oz and managed to wheely the thing... something (don't laugh) I find hard to do on my old gsxr1100.
Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 05:46 PM   #64
toojerry
Founding Member

Default Re: Satisfied Customer? Hmm...

I've always been impressed by the depth and range of MO's articles, and while I'm hopeful the MO editors will venture into hop-up articles again, I feel like this pilot was a let-down.

To call the FZ1 a "so-so" bike is insulting; however, it is a valid, honest opinion. But I'm sorry, spending $2000+ on trim (for the most part) does NOT "make a so-so bike into a great one," as claimed by MO.

Personally, as much as I like the FZ1, I would never buy one. As someone's already mentioned, I'd sooner buy an R1, put on some superbike bars, and plunk the fairing on eBay.

A naked R1 is beautiful, exotic, evocative. That FZ1 was a rich man's money pit. "Great?" Hardly.

-Jerry

toojerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 08:29 PM   #65
David_2001
Founding Member

Comfort.....who needs it. I ride a GSXR. The main thing is that you can live with it. After a while you can get used to just about anything. I've ridden 5 hours at time on it. Besides, when I open up the throttle, I'm really happy to have my weight as for forward as I can. And the best part is .... Chicks dig it! By the way, I was just kidding about taking the plastic off......Just buy an R1 and be happy!!!
David_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 08:36 PM   #66
David_2001
Founding Member

To each his own I guess. But it's just like I told my friend who's looking for a new bike.<blockquote>If you want a fast bike......buy a fast bike.</blockquote>

Why waste money to make a slower bike as fast as the one you should have bought in the first place?
David_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2001, 05:12 AM   #67
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default You guys are DORKS!!!

Yamaha Engineer: Hm... I will make a naked bike out of an R1! First I will remove the plastic bits. Then I will re-tune the motor for more lower-end torque, since it will still have 120 rwhp, which is awesome for any sort of real-world-only naked bike. Then I will make higher handlebars. Then I will use less-expensive materials (ie steel frame) to lower its price so that it is proper for the naked bike market.

MO: *rides the bike* Good, but let me make some modifications. First we will add more plastic bits. Then we will re-tune the motor for more top-end HP at the cost of bottom-end torque. Then we will lower the handlebars. Then we will use expensive, exotic materials because they excite us.

Yamaha engineer: Perhaps you would just prefer an R1?
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2001, 06:36 AM   #68
eljefe
Founding Member

Default Re: Modified FZ-1 Rader Feedback

That's what I did. Got a 97 TL1000s, threw on a yosh system, WP springs, and am now saving $$ for an Ohlins damper. 120 hp at the rear wheel, and I havent even spent 6 grand yet. heh heh heh
eljefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 09:53 PM   #69
CheezSorce
Founding Member

Default Re: Bandit to FZ-1 comparison?

http://www.midwestrider.com/bandit.html

There are several Bandits modified as listed here, more functional than we ever expected, no regrets with the purchase.
CheezSorce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2001, 02:40 AM   #70
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Default Re: You guys are DORKS!!!

Well put. I can't get over the fact that so many people are now saying how SLOW and WEAK this bike is! Crazy! 120rwhp is quite a lot of power. This bike runs like mid-10's I think!.. There are not many bikes that are faster for the $$ right off the showroom.

I suspect that once this bike has been out a year or two, people will start to FINALLY apprecate it for what it is and not what they think it should've been.

The riceboy comment (while potentially offensive) was humorous and largely accurate... sorry MO.

-James

jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote