Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-05-2001, 10:11 AM   #51
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: Modified FZ-1 Reader Feedback

Mostly it's smaller, side-draft carbueretors, a heavier crankshaft and smaller airbox. Some of it can be remedied, but until somebody figures out how to fit a 40mm side-draft on it... we're SOL. I still don't get why they made the frame from steel (accounting for a major percentage of the weight gain) and emasculated it.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2001, 10:17 AM   #52
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Not true... I like the FZ-1, but was looking forward to putting on some of the performance parts offered by Yamaha, the hard bags offered by Yamaha (which apparently won't be offered now), the chin spoiler offered by Yamaha, and some aftermarket lowers... creating the Sport-Tourer I've always wanted: Fast, light(ish), good handling, BIG power... But most importantly - good wind protection and all day comfort.
Old 09-05-2001, 10:23 AM   #53
Charlie
Founding Member

Default Re: Modified FZ-1 Rader Feedback

How about results with a jet kit, then compare a full exhaust system to the slip on.

Love my FZ1, have over 3000 miles on it. Mods: 2 clicks up on all suspension settings and droped the forks 1/2"(made a huge improvement), had the seat redone creating a larger pocket with better thigh support that raised the seat aprox 1 1/2" (more leg room and better reach to handle bars without buying the lower bars). Heard a rumor that Yamaha is working on a 6" taller wind screen, has anyone have anymore info on taller screens?
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 10:30 AM   #54
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

You just described a B12 with a chin spoiler...

Just kidding, couldn't resist

Signed,

Shameless Suzuki Guy
Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 11:47 AM   #55
David_2001
Founding Member

Just buy an R1 and take off the plastic. Now there's a naked R1. And lighter too!
David_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 11:52 AM   #56
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Yup... but the Suzuki was deliberately designed to loft the front wheel easily, which I don't like, and bone stock it's slower than the FZ-1 (not much, granted), and it took Suzuki far too long to fix the complaints that people had about the bike for me... I don't trust their customer service at all. No slur intended on your or your bike choice... it's just not my choice.
Old 09-05-2001, 11:53 AM   #57
David_2001
Founding Member

Real motorcyclist want? I want power and handling. I'm not alone, just look at GSXR sales. FZ-1's are for guys who commute or something like that I guess. I ride just for the thrill of riding, so gimme a R1 or a GSXR thank you!
Old 09-05-2001, 11:54 AM   #58
CBR1000F
Founding Member

And way more uncomfortable. And difficult to insure affordably. And ugly (without the bodywork)... need I go on?
Old 09-05-2001, 11:59 AM   #59
David_2001
Founding Member

huh? GSXR's are for the track. If you ever get the chance to ride one on the track - do it! It will change the way you look at motorcycles. Mine is hard to wheelie compared to honda,yamaha and kawasaki. Especially the honda!
Old 09-05-2001, 12:48 PM   #60
stevegrab
Founding Member

Basically, I'm saying that the motojournalists are not real motorcyclists. They don't buy many bikes, have lots of cool toys (paid for by others, or lent to them), they don't have to live with the bikes long term. THEY ARE TOTALLY OUT OF TOUCH WITH REALITY.

This story proved it, they took a pretty good bike, and "hopped it up" with a pipe (some performance gain, but what they don't say) and a bunch of carbon fiber which didn't do much. They knock the Yamaha seat (by Corbin) for being too heavy. It wasn't meant to lose weight, but to provide better touring comfort.

They need to the bike for what it is, and get off the Naked R1 crap.

Sure an R1 or GSXR is great (I ride a 2000 F4), but that was not the target of the FZ1. The FZ-1 is for people that want a sporty partially naked bike, that can go, stop, and make trips. Not many will take long trips on an R1 or GSXR, they want something more comfortable.

But it still boils down to, a hop up story that was "mostly cosmetic" as the first poster wrote. What is this, the Harley crowd with chrome and tassles to make the bike look cool?
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote