Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-04-2001, 03:32 PM   #41
Lunatic
Founding Member

Default How

comparing FZ crank HP to bandit rear wheel HP? What does the FZ make at the ground? the Bandit is right at 105 last I knew, add a jet kit and slip on and hit 120. I doubt a slip on and jet kit cost 1500 bucks either.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2001, 03:57 PM   #42
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Modified FZ-1 Reader Feedback

Those parts are all available from Yamaha.
Old 09-04-2001, 04:20 PM   #43
HyperBusa
Founding Member

Goody, goody...an article about a hopped up FZ-1! Finger trembling with anticipation as I click the well worn mouse button. What's this? No performance mods? No cams, no rejet, no airbox mods, no exhaust? Just a slathering of CF?

Not what I would call journalism worthy of reading. When I see an article titled: "2001 Yamaha FZ-1 Hop-up" I expect some freakin' hopping up!! Back to the drawing board MO.

Trembling finger goes back to it's boring life as it strikes the back button.
HyperBusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 04:34 PM   #44
wheat
Founding Member

The FZ already has R1 cams in it.
wheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 09:06 PM   #45
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Carbon Fibre Sucks.

I think the title of my post speaks for me.

Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 12:15 AM   #46
boxjoint
Founding Member

Default Re: Where

I live in New Jersey so I am in your general region of the country. I bought the ZRX at Big Red Kawasaki/Sea Doo in Eatontown, NJ. It was an internet sale. I do recommend looking at local dealer web sites for specials. Let me clarify in that the $6500 was the sale price, after tax/title/etc... out the door was $7300.00. Still a great bargin for a bike that lists for $7800.
boxjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 02:19 AM   #47
TorinoPaddy
Registered Member

Default Re: Bandit to FZ-1 comparison?

The new Honda CB900F Hornet will be coming out at the start of next year. Here in Italy the price should be about US$7,500 which is just a little more than the Bandit. I don't know if the bike is destined for the States. if you want to read more, I have a page on my site.

Check it out at:

<ul>http://users.iol.it/john.doyle/hornet.htm[/list]
TorinoPaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 04:54 AM   #48
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

I thought it had been retuned. I know they did something to the cylinder head. At any rate, whatever they did, it makes less power.
NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 07:46 AM   #49
vmxxx
Founding Member

any slack jaw can put useless trinketry on his/her bike. What gains were made? as I see it none....unless you're a useless trinket dealer. Re-jet it re-pipe it, drop a cam in it, re spring it, re-tread it.....hmmmmm just buy an R1 and save all the trouble. No matter how much perfume you put on a goat, it is still a goat. If you want a sport bike, buy a sport bike. I race sailboats, we use carbon fibre everywhere, not for looks but for extreme strength and weight issues(a 45' aluminum mast section weighs in at 250+lbs, the same mast in carbon is about half the weight and 3 times the $$$) how much strength is required in a fender, which if i read the article correctly, cracked when tourqued down....come up with a carbon/kevlar swingarm and then you'll get some attention. Strength to weight is the key to carbon composites not the measly grams saved in a fender replacement. Looks aside......form follows function and nothing you guys installed has any greater function than the stock config. We wanted to see performance, not how much jewlery you could buy for the bike.
vmxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 08:20 AM   #50
stevegrab
Founding Member

Hey MO, you guys reading the posts here, they are virtually all telling you that bombed big time. I think you were wrong to think (or believe Yamaha marketing hype) in the first place that this would be that much like an R1. So it didn't excite you or inspire you. Then you put a bunch of CF parts on it, and make the riding position more sporty. Well sounds like you wanted an R1 without plastic, so buy one and take the fairing off, etc.

Don't you realize that anybody "buying" and FZ1 would not do these things, nor would they have any reason to. The comments by one poster about "ricerboys" was spot on. Have you all been exposed to the SoCal sun and heat so long that you've forgotten what "real" motorcyclists think is important? Sure if somebody paid me to do this, gave me all the parts and the bike, I might do it. But honestly, I'd rather be out riding something that was what I want when I bought it.

Far from responsible journalism, more like advertising, or full on out-squiding the next guy.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote