Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-04-2001, 11:05 AM   #31
jbond
Founding Member

Default Re: Modified FZ-1 Reader Feedback

Shame on you. You've just turned into Motorcyclist! What you and apparently Yamaha don't seem to understand is that what we really wanted was a streetfighter version of an R1.

So why is it that the naked or sport touring version of sport bikes are always "retuned for torque" and 50Kg heavier? I want a sport bike, and I want all that top technology, it's just that my body won't bend that much anymore...
jbond is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2001, 11:37 AM   #32
CBR1000F
Founding Member

On the nose, jbond! I'd have put up with the extra vibes from an aluminum frame, as long as that frame was a tad longer and taller than the R1's with lower pegs and higher bars... I wouldn't have cared if they had to make the fuel tank a little taller in order to accommodate more fuel, but I DO mind that they chose instead to put smaller, side-draft carbs in the bike instead...

And why does "re-tured" REALLY mean "de-tuned"? If you look at the dyno charts for both bikes, they're identical, until the FZ-1 runs out of steam... at which point, the R-1 runs away from it. There is NO mid-range advantage to the FZ-1, just a deficit up top. WTF?!
Old 09-04-2001, 11:46 AM   #33
Borg-Biker
Founding Member

Why add $2105.00 (the total price of the add-ons as listed) to the most expensive bike in class- so you can like it? I would pick the ZRX1200 over the FZ1. I prefer the instant power of a fat midrange over the typical sportbike rev-it-hard-to-go-fast powerband. Classic styling, and less expensive too. The FZ1 styling is not too inspired, and carbon fiber isn't helping. The fairing is nice looking, but the rest is haphazard. All that was done was add little chocolate sprinkles to the vanilla, not create a tasty new flavor.
Borg-Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 11:52 AM   #34
Borg-Biker
Founding Member

I do believe the deficit comes ALMOST completely from the side-draft carbs. The curving of the intake apparently can kill quite a few horses on the top of the powerband.
Old 09-04-2001, 11:58 AM   #35
Borg-Biker
Founding Member

Default Re: Where

The ZRX is a DESIREABLE bike by many, whereas the FZ1 is just ANOTHER bike(I do like the blue color, though). I've read all the articles I can find on these bikes, and they all praise Yamaha for a (semi)naked bike with sportbike performance, and then turn around to say if they were going to buy one of these naked bikes, it's be the ZRX. I am inclined to agree, after seeing the FZ1 at the dealer.
Old 09-04-2001, 12:05 PM   #36
Neolith
Founding Member

Default Re: Bandit to FZ-1 comparison?

Yeah, no way is that going to get you to 150. Dale Walker's pipe, headers, and stage 2 will get you to 119 peak power, though.

check out this site for more info (scroll to the botton for dyno numbers) ...

That will set you back around $1000. Then there are GSXR cams to drop in, and big bore kits, etc, etc. I would think that 130-145 hp would be a do-able goal for less money than MO spent on 'look-good' parts for the yamaha. In fact, Dale is claiming 148 hp with his project bike that has the big bore kit, GSX intake cam, header, slip on, and jet kit. Head kit is ~$500, and the cams are ~$200.

I think that would stomp MO's, or just about anyone's FZ1, cost thousands less, and run on pump gas. Looks better (imho) and more comfortable too. Cool.
Neolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 12:44 PM   #37
ken51
Founding Member

Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure someone will..), but considering the costs of the add-ons, your FZ1 is now in the R1 ballpark for total cost. That being said, wouldn't an R1, stripped of it's plastic, and with a set of heli-bars be what was intended in the first place? Even though Yamaha itself touts this bike as an R1 for the real world, I think it's a bike for a slightly different demographic. As someone said above, don't mess with it. Ahh, but your point was to meet in the middle, not full on R1 character, but not FZ1 boring. It seems, however, too many compromises are made starting with the FZ1 (weight, detuned motor...), whereas starting with an R1, you would have been only a couple easy, ergonomic mods away from the complete package you were truly looking for, given (relatively) equivalent cost. Am I missing the point?
ken51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 01:00 PM   #38
ttcaml
Founding Member

Default Re: Modified FZ-1 Rader Feedback

I think that is a good idea, take an older bike (F2, older GSX-R, FZR 400, Hawk GT, ect.) and throw some money at it. Let us know if aftermarket suspension stuff is worth the price, what exaust/jet kits work well, maybe try to find some lighter weels.

Can the preformance of an F2 be brought close to that of an F3, if so how much will it cost?

Just a thought.

ttcaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 01:14 PM   #39
ChrisWvfr
Founding Member

Default Shame on you, MO

This isn't journalism, this is a shameless add for Yamaha aftermarket products. How you managed to justify weight savings by replacing plastic with CF, then add on a heavier seat is beyond me (the circle of logic you used to justify the addition of the seat is priceless!). I fail to see how any of the products you bolted onto what is already a wonderful machine have helped it out in any substantial way, other than to help move GYT-R fluff. I can only guess that you didn't include a Jet kit, rear hugger, hard luggage or any other modification for that matter because Yamaha didn't offer them in the trade for a lame review.

Oh, and you say "what this bike does give people is the sort of open-class performance that many race-replicas can't even match, packed tightly away in one easy-to-use container, available over-the-counter for $2,000 US Dollars less than an R1."...

has turned into "Sure, it was based on the R1, but it was no naked R1 as we'd hoped for. Not a bad bike, mind you, but it was just so blah we were forced to drink a lot at night, looking for stimulus elsewhere. We sure as hell wouldn't find it on the bike."

What were you guys thinking? How can you go from a great review to "the FZ-1 Yamaha should have made" with but a few pieces of CF and a slip-on exhaust?

Thanks for your attempt, but for many of us you have done nothing except try and turn our motorcycle into a home for useless trinkets. Next time - and do us a favor, use this bike - find something that we really want to see and give us a real review with data, not hyperbole and rhetoric.

Chris
ChrisWvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 02:13 PM   #40
bilbo
Registered Member

Default Re: Where

> Almost every print rag has done this already with a unanimous favor towards the FZ1.

Actually Motorcycle Consumer News did a comparo of the two, and favored the ZRX overall. According to them the ZRX was as good or better than the FZ1 in handling, acceleration, comfort, low end torque. The only advantages to the FZ1 were higher top speed (who cares) and smoother shifting.
bilbo is offline   Reply With Quote