Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-04-2001, 07:10 AM   #21
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: Modified FZ-1 Reader Feedback

Nope, I don't like it either.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2001, 07:19 AM   #22
bobs-garage
Founding Member

Default Re: Japanese haulers

Sounds more like the typical (and justified?) fear of American liability lawsuits. Yamaha built hardware on the bike to haul a passenger -- how would a 120+ lb., living, breathing, wiggling passenger be more stable than 40 lbs. of loaded, lower-center-of-gravity hard luggage? The Euro FJR1300 has a beautiful set of optional hard luggage...

Bob

www.riderhaus.com
bobs-garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 07:23 AM   #23
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Ok, I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but...

Where's the FZ-1/Bandit 1200 shootout you promised us?

Motorcyclist did a FZ-1/Bandit 1200/ZRX-1200 shootout, and it was good... but for some reason, even though the FZ-1 got first place, in the personal section, every tester liked either the ZRX or the B12. I don't get it. P'raps you could shed a little light on the subject?
Old 09-04-2001, 07:26 AM   #24
das
Founding Member

I don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but my opinion of the article is the same as the other posters... where were the guts to this article?

If you're going to discuss the weight-savings advantage of carbon-fiber bits, at least give us some idea of how much weight will be saved... are we talking tens of pounds, or tenths of grams here? How can you shamelessly advertise $917.45 (by my count) in carbon fiber and not take a couple minutes to roll the bike over to the finely-calibrated MO scale?

Why, that would be as stupid as advertising an aftermarket exhaust without before-and-after dyno runs, or a new handlebar without giving the old vs. new bar-seat-peg measurements, or ...

Look... if you're going to do a test ride of an aftermarket parts promo bike, just say so. There's no shame in that. But don't act like you went out searching the entire aftermarket for useful FZ-1 mods and this is what you found. And fer cryin' out loud, at least give contact info on where people can go to get the parts described in the article.

Oh, and you forgot to list the new tires in the parts list.
das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 07:31 AM   #25
sanchin
Registered Member

Default Re: Where

If you got a zrx for that 6500, that is awesome.

Around here (New England) they go for sticker, and the FZ-1s are going for 8500.

sanchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 08:00 AM   #26
wheat
Founding Member

Bah humbug. While some of the parts Yamaha is selling are well made (ti bars, seat, lower cowling) much of it is of questionable quality (CF parts).

And what about a jet kit? Ivan of Rockland County Motorcycle, famous for his R1 jet kit, has a kit for the FZ. I have that and a Yoshimura TRS slip-on on my bike and it runs great. Much smoother power curve and less vibes too.

Wind screen wise, I would wait and see what Zero Gravity has in store. There have been photos of nice looking prototypes passed around.
wheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 08:10 AM   #27
hawker
Founding Member

Tsk tsk,

bolting on airbox lids?

When y'all originally reviewed the FZ-1, you had problems with its weight, engine characteristics, etc.

All you did in this article was twiddle the suspension knobs, slap on all the aftermarket titanium/carbon parts you could get your grubbies on (never giving contact info for said mfgr's), even a carbon-look saddle(??) and totally ignored making changes to the bike that would make it more 'exciting'.

I guess it wouldn't have been so disappointing if you'd titled the article "Unobtanium accessories for your FZ-1 Tested!" and taken that angle, but you set the expectation that you were actually going to give us the poop on making the bike more responsive - I expected at least a K&N filter, some black-arts jetting and chipset sorcery and scary dyno results.

Minimie, have you been in SoCal so long that you've forgotten the difference between "tuning" and actual performance enhancement? Be careful, or next thing yo know, you'll catch yourself thinking of slapping some 'VTEC' stickers on a GoldWing.

And you could've spent the time doing a SuperMoto Comparo - so sad....

Hawker
hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 09:05 AM   #28
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

Default Re: Japanese haulers

Good point.. but my passenger is only 105
Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 09:09 AM   #29
Droog
Founding Member

Default Re: Bandit to FZ-1 comparison?

I would eat my keyboard if a pipe and jetkit got a bandit up to 150 hp. Keep dreaming.
Droog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 09:35 AM   #30
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

Big deal. I thought you were going to do something interesting like drop a set of R1 cams in it. Now with the cams, the pipe, and maybe some carb work, you might have something to brag about.
NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote