Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-28-2001, 09:21 AM   #61
nome
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW F650CS reader feedback

1200c is attractive to me but lacked any kind of usefull rear seating, plus a few other thing, mainly what I read online. BUt the Deuce has the best lean angles(for a Harley) but I agree on the rear fender. But after you put bags on who knows. Anyway ride safe.
nome is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-28-2001, 10:00 AM   #62
neoyetif2
Founding Member

It looks like a BMW version of the Bimota Mantra.

You know, if you sit far away from the screen and squint it looks just like it. (and maybe take a little acid)

I kinda like it. But then I am one of those weird graphic artist kinda guys.
neoyetif2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 10:20 AM   #63
hemoglobin
Founding Member

Default Re: Not as practical as you

The 2 grand is the difference in price between the BMW with the all-important ABS and the lighter, more powerful SV650. Since you've done your homework, now you only need to justify $1000-1500, the difference between a non-ABS F650 and the Suzuki. Sheesh!!

I suppose the justification is that last quote; since BMW and Harley can't compete with performance, they justify the excessive price by "resale value." Since I buy bikes to ride, not resell, I guess I'll never understand...
hemoglobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 10:53 AM   #64
ZRXRy
Founding Member

FWIW, I am personally familiar with the riders of several Kawi Concours that have gone well over 100,000 miles, and know of quite a few more. It's really not all that great a mileage figure, and many bikes are capable of making it without any major engine work or such, and do it for about half the cost of a BMW.

I think BMW builds a good bike with some nice features, but the nice features don't make up the difference in price to me, or for the weird things BMW does (apparently just to be weird).
ZRXRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 11:06 AM   #65
markszrz
Founding Member

I am always amazed by guys who call performance based motorcycles "disposible". That is no more true today then judging todays Harly's by the old "AMF" standards. However, if it makes you feel better about yourself and your purchase - what ever floats your boat.
markszrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 11:12 AM   #66
tbuse
Founding Member

Default Re: About ugly...

Speed Triples aren't ugly.
tbuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 11:18 AM   #67
ZRXRy
Founding Member

Unfortunately, it seems that the only people who appreciate that kind of design philosophy are people who would only consider buying a European make at inflated prices. Almost every time the Japanese have built something in this vein, they've gotten hosed (here in North America, anyway).

Things I like from various BMW designs:

Telelever

Paralever

Heated hand grips

Elec. adjustable windshield

Adjustable seat

Hard luggage avail for just about all models

Things that I don't like from various BMW's:

High price

Weird alice hand controls

Boxer engines with separate gearboxes (maybe)

Excessive weight

Styling (do practical bikes have to be ugly?)

For example, in sport touring, I'd take an FJR 1300 with standard heated handgrips, power adjustable windshield and adjustable seat over a BMW R1150RS or K1200RS any day. Unfortunately, BMW is the only company that has seen fit to put these very useful features on a bike, but they're stuck doing things the weird way to maintain their image.
ZRXRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 11:20 AM   #68
tbuse
Founding Member

I don't know what the BMW designers eat for breakfest, but I'm pretty sure that the FDA won't let them import it here. Just one question; does this thing come with its own leash and water bowl?
tbuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 11:39 AM   #69
CBR1000F
Founding Member

See now... my bike is NOT recreation, except occasionally. It's TRANSPORTATION. I've got Heli bars and a Givi three-bag-capable rack (only 1 big-azz case on top right now) on it... and that bike is overpriced, underpowered and ugly as sin.

I do like the dual-sport version of it, even though it's still too expensive.
Old 08-28-2001, 11:41 AM   #70
BuellBoy
Founding Member

I can't comment on the Harley, but in the BMW it's simple: Cost of materials. Get a metallurgist to compare the alloys, fasteners, etc. used in a BMW vs. the same in these "bargain bikes" you're mentioning. Then you'll understand the difference.

Plus, the Japanese bikes are cheaper initially, but God help you if you need to buy replacement parts! I remember being able to buy a PAIR of fork gaiters for my BMW for less than the price Yamaha wanted for ONE gaiter on the Venture Royale!
BuellBoy is offline   Reply With Quote