Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-28-2001, 07:09 AM   #51
simie7
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW F650CS: Buck Rodgers Edition

What can I say, Oh yes crap! The wheels are ok but then it goes down hill from there. BMW stay off the Captain Crunch!
simie7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-28-2001, 07:28 AM   #52
MoMo
Founding Member

Default Hooo Ahhhh!!

this poor beast fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. looks about as appealing as an enema.
MoMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 08:10 AM   #53
hemoglobin
Founding Member

Default Re: Not as practical as you

Is ABS so important on a 650 that you'd pay an extra $1500-2000 for it? Maybe it is more necessary on the F650 than the SV650 because of the 50 extra pounds. Then again, with the 10 fewer hp the BMW makes, maybe not.
hemoglobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 08:17 AM   #54
FBDayoff
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW F650CS reader feedback

As someone who owned and enjoyed the F650, I think y'all are being a bit harsh on this bike. The F650 sells well mostly in Europe, where motorcycles are actually a part of the transportation system and not merely hobbies. It's a good combination for commuting and backroads riding, as long as you aren't a knee puck scraping sportbike rider.

The biggest issue, well identified by other readers, is that in the US, this bike is priced at a level where its performance is really not competitive with other bikes in its price range. If BMW would get its price point lower on this side of the pond, they'd sell a lot more.

And I very much liked the suggestion about calling it the Atlantic Coast.

Ferris Bueller
FBDayoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 08:18 AM   #55
Charlie10
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW made a Mercury Cougar

It seems BMW has a Ford / Mercury relationship with Aprilia.

See Ford makes a nice looking, pretty good car, i.e. Mustang, Thunderbird, Taurus, Explorer and then Mercury comes out with a uglier more expensive version i.e. Cougar, Sable, Mountianeer.

Aprilia make the Pegaso 650 Cube and BMW turns it into the F650 and raises the price.

Go Figure. Now, Hey Aprilia where is the IE model in the states?

Charlie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 08:25 AM   #56
BuellBoy
Founding Member

Not everybody is in the market for a disposable motorcycle that loses 33% of it's resale value the instant the tires cross the dealer's threshold. And the ABS on the 650 series of BMW motorcycles only adds about $500.00, NOT $1,500 - $2,000. Do some homework, Sheesh!!

To quote the Harley faithful "If you have to ask, you'll NEVER understand."
BuellBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 08:34 AM   #57
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Yes I have. Still thought it was ugly (eye of the beholder). I really don't like what they did with the rear fender, and the fork/front wheel is all too thin--I much prefer the flowing lines of the R1200C.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 08:35 AM   #58
BuellBoy
Founding Member

With the exception of the R1200C, every BMW has followed the basic formula of "Function over Form." Doesn't seem to matter what the things look like as long as they do the intended job. Why are BMW's so tall? Well, 99% of the time your feet are on the pegs, not on the ground; so why design a bike around 1% of it's intended usage? Taller suspension allows it to swallow up bigger bumps without bottoming or being overly harsh. Slight forward lean works better in the wind, etc.

Cruiser riders buy bikes that are comfortable in the showroom with their LA-Z-Boy seating positions. First trip on the highway tells you how lousy that seating position is for actual RIDING. You feel EVERY bump in your lower back, you can't easily stand up on the pegs when hitting big obstacles in your path, and you do a CONSTANT pull-up on the handlebars to fight the wind. But man, they sure look sharp, don't they??

Squids buy bikes that work like magic on the racetrack at triple digit speeds. In the real world, on less than perfect pavement, in congested traffic your hands and arms tire quickly from all the weight on them, your legs cramp up from the near fetal-bend forced on them by the high, rearset pegs, and they get a stiff neck from holding their heads up at an unnatural angle. But they sure look sharp, don't they??
BuellBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 08:41 AM   #59
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Take an economics class

If you buy a $6000 bike and invest $2000 on the stock market, it will easily cover the depreciation. This becomes even more obvious when you compare a $6000 bike to a $16,000 Harley (10K on the stock market or in bank CDs). Harley math is flawed.

Not to mention, I have $6000 to spend on a new bike next summer. I do not have $8000. I do not have $16,000. End of story.
Old 08-28-2001, 08:48 AM   #60
starvingstudent
Founding Member

This bike is meant as BMW's entry-level or budget motorcycle, or something like that. ABS should be an OPTION, so that the 80% of riders who don't care about it can use the $500 to buy luggage (or pay the rent or buy groceries or pay college tuition...).